U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 AM

371 posts, read 413,789 times
I notice some people here are constantly mixing up "patriotism" with "nationalism", and then saying that countries where the majority of the population have not much problems complaining about stuff, are not very patriotic...

I beg to differ. I believe Thomas Jefferson once said that "dissent is the highest form of patriotism"

I'd say countries like Sweden, Poland, Scotland are extremely patriotic, although not very nationalist. Countries like Switzerland and Denmark in my opinion are very nationalist, but not very patriotic. Countries like the Netherlands and the United States are a bit in the middle... Germans on average feel too ashamed still for WW2 to show anything that might me seen as nationalist, including a healthy bit of pride and respect for the achievements of their country and their citizens after WW2...

To me, patriotism is a drive to acknowledge your country's, or even community's achievements and to make it better for the next generation. This might come with a lot of complaining, but you wouldn't disallow anyone their piece of the pie based on their skin colour or religion as long as they're willing to work as hard as you to achieve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 AM

438 posts, read 836,470 times
Most Patriotic: ARGENTINA during Soccer World Cup
Least Patriotic: Argentina for the four years in-between

Old 01-04-2012, 02:20 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,426,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Hilarious? French aren't really a patriotic bunch.
Patriotism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ironically the word "patriot" was born in revolutionary France.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:45 AM

4,964 posts, read 3,251,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCC View Post
Most Patriotic: ARGENTINA during Soccer World Cup
Least Patriotic: Argentina for the four years in-between

LOL! good definition of argentinian idiosyncrasy

Old 01-05-2012, 01:19 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,210,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Hilarious? French aren't really a patriotic bunch.
Patriotism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The French think everybody should speak French ( ok, many do ), then there are the Toubon laws that speak for themselves.
Those rankings you showed me are meaningless. It's based on a self-definition. Every country defines it differently. No surprise that the Germans are at the bottom there ( for obvious reasons ) ,but they are still proud of their country.. just in a different way.
And the French have countries in their La Francophonie club that never really spoke French but were only occupied by them. It's a long list. The French are extremely proud of their language and the language defines France. Just because they are not waving French flags everywhere like they do in the U.S., dosen't mean they are not overly proud. The U.S. dosen't set the bar here. You can't compare it.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM

4,507 posts, read 1,822,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
The French think everybody should speak French ( ok, many do ), then there are the Toubon laws that speak for themselves.
Again, a big. I think you're confusing French for Brits or Americans. You meant everybody in the world right?
I see nothing wrong with Toubon law. We're not an English-speaking country and the average level in foreign languages is quite low, traducing documents non understandable by the average consumer or employee should be of course mandatory.

You should check ads or start-up enterprises names here, sometimes I wonder if I'm in an English-speaking country. Those people find French names outdated or something.

Look at this silly name. It doesn't even make any sense.
Easy Take - Réservation

Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 PM

1,128 posts, read 977,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Haha true.. we Brits love to put ourselves down but as soon as a foreigner or an expat says something bad about us, we'll stop to defend our country, put them down and whatever country they may reside in.
I imagine there is a special spot above everyone else for the French given the centuries of hatred toward each other

Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 AM

1,866 posts, read 3,502,495 times
I think the most patriotic is USA

Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 AM

2,667 posts, read 2,314,475 times
I would say the English specifically are perhaps the least patriotic people on earth. Scots and Welsh people have more of a sense of identity. The English flag has also been hijacked by right wing extremists and as a result of political correctness, many consider the St. George's Cross to be a symbol of racism.

This is partly why I support the breakup of the UK. England itself will have its own government and identity, so the sense of national pride will be automatically restored.

IMO, Britain has been lost since the dissolution of the empire. England especially has failed to find a new identity for itself, constantly at odds with Europe and trying to pursue a special relationship with the US that isn't there. England itself needs to become independent and reinvent itself as a northern European nation of many immigrants and many strengths, with a huge investment in education and a major crackdown on low level crime and alcohol and drug abuse.

I think that American patriotism goes way too far, to the point that many Americans are arrogant and believe the US is the best at everything, despite the fact that there are numerous non-partisan statistics out there proving otherwise, not that any country can really claim to be the "best" anyway.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:32 PM

14,603 posts, read 8,170,409 times
I see English flags all over, but rarely see Union flags except on government buildings. This talk that the St George's Cross is a symbol of racism is complete rubbish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World