Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:20 AM

1,486 posts, read 2,374,609 times

Advertisements

I agree with "tarp' and i also think a patriot is a person who loves his country but does not diss other countries...especially ones he or she don't know first hand.

I also agree that the idea of self criticism is important as long as it is constructive and not whining. "The individual who does not have the intestinal fortitude to stand up and criticize his government when call for does not deserve the title of a "patriot".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 10:56 AM

26,750 posts, read 22,234,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post

I think in some instances we are mixing partiotism (positive) with nationalism (a negative). Just a thought. What do you think is the difference between the two?
Notify me please when you figure it out.
Russians are arguing about it a lot lately.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 AM

2,234 posts, read 5,462,768 times
France in the "least patriotic" category!? LOL....... That is hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Notify me please when you figure it out.
Russians are arguing about it a lot lately.
Are you Russian

Old 12-22-2011, 11:17 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
The most patriotic countries are the ones where people don't need to constantly wave the flag in order to reassure themselves of their patriotism, and make a public display of it for their countrymen to see and try to outdo.

Half the people in the world are only dimly conscious of the fact that the planet is divided up into different countries. They go their entire lives without ever seeing a foreigner. Patriotism is for the rich and the educated to divide up the world for their own profit. The above posts, so far, restrict themselves to industrially developed countries. What about Honduras and Tonga and Benin? How do you measure their patriotism? Do you think they are not as patriotic as we are?

Why do school children need to be taught patriotism, with repeated drilling? Patriotism takes the form of pageantry, and becomes a simple thoughtless mantra. Is patriotism to be measured by how well the lesson is learned? Everyone is naturally patriotic in a very real sense, it is a survival imperative in the human social species. The pageantry of patriotism is nothing but formalized and methodical indoctrination, which can be measured by counting the number of flags and repetitions of anthems and pledges of allegiance.

Don't forget that Pride is one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-22-2011 at 11:25 AM..

Old 12-22-2011, 11:24 AM

7,017 posts, read 14,404,591 times
It's ridiculous to base how patriotic a country is by the patriotism or lack thereof of a few select individuals from that country you've met.. there are patriotic and unpatriotic people in every single country on the planet. At a minimum, you'd probably need to have lived there or at least visited that country on vacation to make a judgement.

Out of the places I've visited, I find China and Switzerland fairly patriotic and the Netherlands relatively unpatriotic. The US is somewhat of a middle ground.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM

3,898 posts, read 6,694,817 times
Brazilians are, at the same time, the most "patriotic" people in the world (in the sense of being proud of their country) AND the people who most criticize their own country!

It's sort of a schizophrenic relation... People love the country, but at the same time, love to criticize everything!

Some people criticize Brazil heavily, but when they go live in another country, they start to cry everyday, because they miss Brazil so much!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:33 PM

5,900 posts, read 10,475,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Most:
Argentina
No way, you clearly dont know a thing about Argentina.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:45 PM

490 posts, read 1,188,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
No way, you clearly dont know a thing about Argentina.
Argentina seem very patriotic when it comes to the falkland islands or should I say Islas malvinas.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:25 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,224,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWasOGT View Post
Most patriotic people I've met (to a distasteful point of extreme) - Greeks. If you meet a Greek, test them out by saying you are Macedonian. The conversation will by default turn to a fight where they will want to gouge your eyes out, even if they are considered to be educated or cultured.

Least patriotic (i've met) - Icelandic, Dutch, Austrian, Slovenian, New Zealander
I wouldn't agree with putting Slovenian as unpatriotic. They just "fought" for their independence 20 years ago. My experience is that they are very proud of their little country, the big issue they have is how small they are. Also, when their soccer team was good a few years back they showed great pride in their country. My Grandmother, who came from there, was crazy patriotic...and had a funny thing against Croats (I had a croation aunt).

Old 12-22-2011, 06:14 PM

2,920 posts, read 5,217,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Brazilians are, at the same time, the most "patriotic" people in the world (in the sense of being proud of their country) AND the people who most criticize their own country!

It's sort of a schizophrenic relation... People love the country, but at the same time, love to criticize everything!

Some people criticize Brazil heavily, but when they go live in another country, they start to cry everyday, because they miss Brazil so much!
It's the same here in the Netherlands. People love to complain but at the end of the day, they wouldn't want to live anywhere else. We do have patriotic displays on national holidays like Queensday (the NL is very much pro-monarchic) and Liberation Day but I think that goes for most countries. I find that generally, most people here just aren't aware how the Netherlands compares to other countries. People complain about unemployment even though the UR is one of the lowest in the world, people complain about wages even though the average income is the highest in the EU after Luxembourg, people complain about crime even though the crime rates are quite low compared to other countries, etc. I think people would become more patriotic if they knew what the situation was like in other countries instead of assuming that the grass is greener elsewhere. That said, I can't say I'm very patriotic myself. I think it's a bit irrational to be "proud" of where you were born because it's not exactly an achievement. And I really believe that all countries have positive and negative aspects, even the most underdeveloped ones. For example, when I think of Africa I don't instantly associate it with poverty, I also think of culture (music and dancing) and natural splendour. There are no objective standards for what makes a country "good", Africans may be just as patriotic as Westeners despite worse economic conditions in their countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World