Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 07:26 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,472,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
That's true. I once had to guide and old German lady around town and she said she had not seen so many flags since she left Germany in 1936.

Here's some of the good stuff from America rather than McDonald's, Kraft Mac and Cheese, Coca-Cola:

William Faulkner, Ernest Hemmingway, Jackson Pollack, Samuel Barber, Jazz,

Food: Pies, American style venison, Beef Jerky, buffalo steaks, Chili (home-made), Golden Bantum corn.

Drinks: Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey.

Stay away from Spam, Three point beer, canned spagetti and Wheaties.
We have Spam in the UK, some people like it but I hate it, it's so gross and fatty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 07:39 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,376,705 times
Every country hates itself but just let a foreigner say something negative and the doo hits the fan big time.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,472,614 times
Haha true.. we Brits love to put ourselves down but as soon as a foreigner or an expat says something bad about us, we'll stop to defend our country, put them down and whatever country they may reside in.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:26 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,000,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You are correct that Canadian patriotism/nationalism has traditionally been very subdued, but in recent years "Canadian pride" (in its various manifestations) has grown considerably, and Canada today is in my opinion one of the countries where you see the most flags and people wearing t-shirts, jackets, hats, etc. with the country's name or symbols on them.
True.

It's the younger Canadians, anyone under 35, talk about Canada relentlessly. (I don't notice it with older Canadians).

I've been living in Japan/Korea among ESL English teachers for many years. I see Canadian flags/maple leafs absolutely everywhere - tattooed on the body, on shirts, on backpacks, hanging on office walls, scribbled into bar tables, on and on. The Canadian teacher across the hall, in her office, has a humungous Canadian flag on her wall, right now.

I don't think I've ever seen an American flag or 'Eagle' anywhere, ever, on educated Americans living abroad. ONLY around American Military bases perhaps with soldiers, but never well-educated American civilians living abroad.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
What, Japan? Explain yourself.
I'm not the one who said Japan was 'least patriotic', but I agree to it.

Generally speaking, countries that have had strong imperialistic recent pasts, try to downplay their patriotism. It's viewed suspiciously. So, ANYthing that sounds remotely patriotic or nationalistic, and the international media will pick it up quicky and have a field day with it.

I live in Japan, and I never hear a 'proud to be Japanese' statements, ever. However, I heard Koreans say that on a daily basis while I lived in South Korea for years.

On that note, if anyone has ever lived in NYC, you'll see a million 'Puerto Rico Pride' things absolutely everywhere. The little countries can be incredibly nationlistic and patriotic absolutely filled with pride.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 12-26-2011 at 10:43 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Are you kidding me? Here in the UK, the US is portrayed as an incredibly proud, with flags hanging from their windows, and the whole 'USA, USA, USA!' thing. Americans hate their government but they appear to be proud about their nations achievements. I mean, so many things are American - Google, Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, Yahoo, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Apple, Microsoft, NASA, Kraft, McDonalds, KFC, Subway, you name it, it's probably American.
Yeah, I've had British co-workers, and they seem to have that image as well. I wonder if the British Media just captures those media events on TV often.

Maybe like an American viewing the Arabic world going in a frenzy burning American flags, and waving theirs around, they look incredibly patriotic. But, having been to the Middle East, I didn't really see that. I don't see it in the U.S. either, when I'm there - chants, flag waving, etc.

Also, when Americans look at European Soccer, they also appear crazily fanatically patriotic. Everyone with their flags everywhere, all aligned on their nation's soccer teams, seemingly to never like any team of any other country, ever.

I also have trouble watching The World Cup for similar reasons. I could really care less how the U.S. does in The World Cup. But I notice that most all Europeans and especially when I lived in South Korea, Koreans take it to serious nationalistic levels. Koreans will absolutely hate all Americans if they lost to the US in the World Cup. However, if Korea beat the U.S. in the World Cup, I wouldn't even be aware of it. I'd be busy cheering for the Brazil team or someone else entirely. I wouldn't feel a nationalistic urge to make the U.S. Soccer team my preferred favorite team for the World Cup.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 AM

5,886 posts, read 10,485,118 times
I think expressing passion in The World Cup about your country haves nothing to do with patriotism. It has to do with the passion of futbol, something most Americans dont understand and its big in southamerica and europe.

If La seleccion is playing, every argentinian have their argentinain t-shirt and waves flag, but after match is over, they put away the flag and the shirt and only use it again four years later, in the next world cup.In the meantime they continue bashing their country. They can, also, talk crap about politics and every aspect of life in argentina while the match is ocurring, maybe in 15 minutes break, if you ask them. With the argentinian shirt, painted face and waving flag still on!

Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I think expressing passion in The World Cup about your country haves nothing to do with patriotism. It has to do with the passion of futbol, something most Americans dont understand and its big in southamerica and europe.
I think you're right. It just looks largely nationalistic to me.

I love the World Cup, and I always find a few teams to support. But, yeah, I have no understanding of 'I must go crazy in nationalistic support for my home country' sentiment.

I also find it strange when people show their sympathies that 'the U.S.' lost in the World Cup. Just because I'm born in the U.S., doesn't mean I MUST live and die for the 'American Soccer team' above all the others.

The last World Cup, I was strongly rooting for the African teams. I really wanted an African team to do well while it was in South Africa.

Generally though, I support Japan, South Korea, and Brazil for the World Cups. Supporting the U.S. team is an afterthought, although I did get into watching DONOVAN play on the U.S. team last World Cup.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:18 AM

5,886 posts, read 10,485,118 times
It might look nationalistic, but, like i say, often the nations who express the most passion about futbol (beare in mind that this nations also express their huge fanatism for their teams, like Barcelona, or Boca or River Plate or Real madrid, or, well, you know what i mean) are the least nationalistic in general.
You dont know about passion in futbol if you never saw (live!) a Superclásico in La Bombonera or El Monumental. If you ever see something like that you probably think "wow, this people is crazy" and you will also understand that the NT fanatism haves nothing to do with nationalism and is also nothing compared to how people feel about their local teams.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:49 AM

10,116 posts, read 15,795,226 times
I think aside from the United States, the most patriotic countries honestly are hostiles nations like North Korea, Iran, Pakistan etc where people are radical about their country and religion and are willing to kill themselves wildly for it.

Now based ONLY on immigrants I've seen in the U.S., Russian immigrants tend to be the least proud of the old country. A few have told me that "there is nothing to be proud of being Russian" and some are embarassed to have lost the Cold War, though I believe Russians in Russia are probably quite patriotic. I never quite got this mentality since immigrants from Jamaica and El Salvador are alwayus showing their pride. And based on immigrants I see here, Mexicans are the most patriotic, always talking about how proud they are to be Mexican, waving Mexican flags and cheering for Mexico in sports even when they play against America, and they are also VERY proud of their language and many refuse to even learn English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World