Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:20 PM

27,542 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Americans are patriotic because America, for the most part, is a badass nation.

Any questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:37 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
France in the "least patriotic" category!? LOL....... That is hilarious.
Hilarious? French aren't really a patriotic bunch.
Patriotism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-22-2011, 05:42 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Hilarious? French aren't really a patriotic bunch.
Patriotism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don't bother, Glucorious has a reputation of being prejudiced against anything French

Old 12-22-2011, 06:28 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
France in the "least patriotic" category!? LOL....... That is hilarious.

Are you Russian
For you - yes

Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Americans are patriotic because America, for the most part, is a badass nation.

Any questions?
When you're the best, everyone is out to get you

Old 12-22-2011, 08:02 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
I agree. Flag-waving does not equal patriotism. Most Americans are nationalistic flag-wavers, not true patriots. True patriots are those who question our corrupt government and refuse to blindly follow orders. And whoever said Canadians are not patriotic is full of it. Canadians are some of the most patriotic people I have ever met. If they weren't, they would have become part of the United States a long time ago (around 1812 I would imagine).
Yeah patriotism was the reason they didn't become part of the US in 1812. Patriotism for Britain, that is. Canada just never struck me as having a very long-standing nor deeply-ingrained national identity that was distinct. While in many ways we are not distinct, and were tied to the mother country by the apron strings, Australian patriotism has always been very strong.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Brazilians are, at the same time, the most "patriotic" people in the world (in the sense of being proud of their country) AND the people who most criticize their own country!

It's sort of a schizophrenic relation... People love the country, but at the same time, love to criticize everything!

Some people criticize Brazil heavily, but when they go live in another country, they start to cry everyday, because they miss Brazil so much!
That's what I think of the US. Even those who criticise it, or maybe especially those who do, love their country dearly. I think most Americans of all affiliations still believe in 'America' they just have a different idea of what a perfect America would be. Maybe certain political elements have hijacked the idea of 'patriotism' to support things like the military, for instance.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 PM

231 posts, read 332,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWasOGT;22225864[B
]Most patriotic people I've met (to a distasteful point of extreme) - Greeks. If you meet a Greek, test them out by saying you are Macedonian[/b]. The conversation will by default turn to a fight where they will want to gouge your eyes out, even if they are considered to be educated or cultured.

Least patriotic (i've met) - Icelandic, Dutch, Austrian, Slovenian, New Zealander
Greeks in Australia and Canada take that type of stuff to the absolute extreme, dont seem that fussed in the states though.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
Greeks in Australia and Canada take that type of stuff to the absolute extreme, dont seem that fussed in the states though.
Americans are Americans first, here some ethnic groups seem to hang on to their own identity more.

Plenty of Greek Australians don't give a stuff though. Those hooligans at soccer matches are just that, hooligans.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:58 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Americans are Americans first, here some ethnic groups seem to hang on to their own identity more.

Plenty of Greek Australians don't give a stuff though. Those hooligans at soccer matches are just that, hooligans.
Lets not get started on the serbian and Croation communities in Australia, I dont know if Canada or the US have the same problem?

I found the croations to be very patriotic when i was in the country, that was only a couple of years after the war however.

On an interesting side note, in the 2006 world cup football match between Australia and Croatia, the Australian squad had 7 croations in it and the Croation squad had 3 Australians in it. Totally off topic, but good trivia.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 12-23-2011 at 02:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World