U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 AM

20,694 posts, read 22,557,197 times

Advertisements

In places that have had british influence bible names are probably popular.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Male:
Michael
Thomas
Jesse
Max
Julian

Jayden
Ruben
Dave
Nick
Noah

Female:
Julia
Eva
Emma
Lisa
Anna
Lynn
Amber

Tess
Sara
Priscilla

Don't know if all names are English.
Those are names that we have here.

Priscilla does not sound english to me.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:57 AM

Alot of the names used in Europe are kind of bible names and used across all languages. Like David is a bible name.

I doubt that they use true english names in Europe like Alisha, Emma, Samuel, John, Olivia, Amy, James, Ross, Kathy, Tasha, Owen, Jessica, Kerry, Steven etc.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:18 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,972,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Alot of the names used in Europe are kind of bible names and used across all languages. Like David is a bible name.

I doubt that they use true english names in Europe like Alisha, Emma, Samuel, John, Olivia, Amy, James, Ross, Kathy, Tasha, Owen, Jessica, Kerry, Steven etc.
Emma, John, Amy and Jessica are very common names here. In fact, Emma is the 4th most popular name for girls (after Sophie, Sarah and Julia).

Other popular English baby names (in the top 100):

Boys
Jayden
Thomas
Ruben
Finn
Levi
Julian
Roan/Rowan
Noah
Tom/Thom
Max
Nick
Keano
Dylan
Stan
Justin
Ryan
Damian
Robin
Rick
Mike
Jason
Liam
Quinten
Mick
Samuel
Dean
Kyan
Tristan
Michael
Vince
Nathan
Joshua

Girls (not sure how many of these are truly English in origin)
Sophie
Sarah
Julia
Emma
Lisa
Evy
Noah
Lynn
Tess
Rose
Zoë/Zoey
Amy
Britt
Naomi
Fay/Faye
Norah
Demi/Demy
Indy
Hannah
Romy
Loïs/Lois
Lara
Kyra
Elisabeth/Elizabeth
Jill
Emily
Alicia/Alisha
Puck
Robin/Robyn
Jade
Julie
Kaylee/Kayleigh
Liv
Olivia
Kim

(source: http://www.voornamelijk.nl/?page_id=3800)

Old 12-28-2012, 04:02 PM

Well thats odd. People are letting go of their culture, people in non-anglophone countries should be using names from their own language. A sense of pride is needed, stop trying to be like americans.

Btw i have not heard of several of those names, alot of them look like bible names. An english name actually is english, not commonly used in anglophone areas.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:09 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,972,046 times
Quote:
Well thats odd. People are letting go of their culture, people in non-anglophone countries should be using names from their own language. A sense of pride is needed, stop trying to be like americans.
We still have plenty of names in our own language too, half the names in the top 10 for boys and girls are typical Dutch or Frisian names (Daan, Sem, Thijs, Luuk, Stijn, Lieke, Lotte, Sanne, Eva). I don't think names have anything to do with national pride but I personally prefer Dutch or French names because they match better with a Dutch surname.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:18 PM

Oh ok you see I thought that list was all supposed english names.

Here there are people who use irish names but i am against that for various reasons. Although, if i was french or german etc i would want to use names from my respective country.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:56 PM

24,682 posts, read 52,556,143 times
Quote:

Btw i have not heard of several of those names, alot of them look like bible names. An english name actually is english, not commonly used in anglophone areas.
Many 'English' names are also common in Europe. And they don't do it just to be like Americans.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:22 PM

13,932 posts, read 20,975,081 times
Elvis is a Swedish name, originally...i think

Old 12-28-2012, 11:27 PM

13,932 posts, read 20,975,081 times
Quote:

I knoe several Jessica's, Emma's, a Samuel and a Olivia! In Sweden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World