Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:06 PM

635 posts, read 1,654,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
As a small aside from the overall discussion. China has very lenient laws for starting businesses, it's interesting that I've heard of so many foreigners who teach english there, than later start a business.

Whereas over here in Japan & Korea, you see very few foreign-owned businesses. Partly because they are quite a bit more expensive, more legal hoops to jump, and that teaching english here is very stable, secure, and financially just fine already.

But, I've always found it interesting the expat people I've known in Korea/Japan, who find their way to China, and end up starting up a little restaurant or something.

Quite a contrast from the U.S., where the entire country is so zoned, and so expensive to get storefront, and so commercialized/franchised, I wouldn't know the first thing about opening up a restaurant or little store back home.

When you're in Korea/Japan/China, you'll see small businesses flourish absolutely everywhere. Even better, it's all mixed in with housing. So, you can always safely walk to 100s of small businesses pretty much wherever you live.
That's one of the things that sounds so appealing to me...shopping close to home. Get up in the morning (non work day) go get a coffee and browse the neighborhood stores. See the local art, color, and culture along the way. Sounds lovely!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:15 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
That's one of the things that sounds so appealing to me...shopping close to home. Get up in the morning (non work day) go get a coffee and browse the neighborhood stores. See the local art, color, and culture along the way. Sounds lovely!!!
I haven't needed to buy a car in 15 years.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:48 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
As a small aside from the overall discussion. China has very lenient laws for starting businesses, it's interesting that I've heard of so many foreigners who teach english there, than later start a business.

Whereas over here in Japan & Korea, you see very few foreign-owned businesses. Partly because they are quite a bit more expensive, more legal hoops to jump, and that teaching english here is very stable, secure, and financially just fine already.

But, I've always found it interesting the expat people I've known in Korea/Japan, who find their way to China, and end up starting up a little restaurant or something.

Quite a contrast from the U.S., where the entire country is so zoned, and so expensive to get storefront, and so commercialized/franchised, I wouldn't know the first thing about opening up a restaurant or little store back home.

When you're in Korea/Japan/China, you'll see small businesses flourish absolutely everywhere. Even better, it's all mixed in with housing. So, you can always safely walk to 100s of small businesses pretty much wherever you live.

My DD walks most places in Chengdu, although there are taxis if you need to go further. She also bought a used bicycle, which are on sale on just about every corner. They are basically stolen bicycles, but they are cheap, and eventually yours will probably get stolen, too. You just go get another one. No point in telling the cops, because they are riding around on stolen bikes themselves.

She says China is the most capitalistic place she's ever seen. Everyone's out to make a buck.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 AM

90 posts, read 283,774 times
Quote:
Yea...I looked on Daves and saw some jobs with adults. Not the ideal shift but if you had your weekends...very doable. I was reading at some sites that adults are more difficult...kids are more forgiving. A lot to think about. I noticed there are many that prefer a female teacher (for kids). I think teaching conversational English to adults would be fun. I am the "queen" of small talk. I could see how being able to carry a good conversation could give someone the edge in business. It's good to know that is who you have been working with.
I taught both kids and adults there from age 8 all the way up to retirees. I liked teaching the kids better than I thought I would. My late elementary students were some of my favorite classes; you become very attached to them. I liked most of my adult classes too, though the beginners were tough with their limited language skills. It was the middle and high schoolers I really didn't like. Those kids didn't want to be there and it was hard to make conversation. Overall, I liked the age differences; it gave my days variety. If you are a good conversationalist, you will likely do well with any age group.

Split shifts stunk. I hated them. I also seemed to get stuck teaching a lot of extra classes and that gets exhausting to teach seven days per week for several months.

Chain schools are a safer bet, though I had good luck with my institute which wasn't a chain (it is still in business today). I have landed jobs both with and without a recruiter. I had a bad experience when I didn't use one and a good experience when I did. That is probably just the way it worked out, though, as I know the recruiter doesn't really do much if there are problems. I just happened to not have problems with the institute they placed me in.

As far as airfare, I don't know how all of that is handled now. I didn't have any problem getting my reimbursement, but I've heard some people do. If the institute is desparate enough for teachers, maybe it is something you could negotiate. I don't know...

Old 01-03-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My DD walks most places in Chengdu, although there are taxis if you need to go further. She also bought a used bicycle, which are on sale on just about every corner. They are basically stolen bicycles, but they are cheap, and eventually yours will probably get stolen, too. You just go get another one. No point in telling the cops, because they are riding around on stolen bikes themselves.

She says China is the most capitalistic place she's ever seen. Everyone's out to make a buck.
Chengdu has a ton of bicycle lanes as well. They are separated and between the main roads and the sidewalks, with curbs on both sides. It's a dream city for bicyclists. You don't have to ride next to busy traffic and parked cars, like you do in the States.

Most cities in China have decent bicycle lanes.

I also agree that China is the most capitalistic society I've ever seen. Talk about freedom. You can park bikes or scooters anywhere you want. If you want to drink a beer at the beach, you can do it. If you want to live above your business, you can do it.

Once in Asia, you'll get accustomed to so many conveniences, it's a shock to go back to the States and realize how little you can do there.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Chengdu has a ton of bicycle lanes as well. They are separated and between the main roads and the sidewalks, with curbs on both sides. It's a dream city for bicyclists. You don't have to ride next to busy traffic and parked cars, like you do in the States.

Most cities in China have decent bicycle lanes.

I also agree that China is the most capitalistic society I've ever seen. Talk about freedom. You can park bikes or scooters anywhere you want. If you want to drink a beer at the beach, you can do it. If you want to live above your business, you can do it.

Once in Asia, you'll get accustomed to so many conveniences, it's a shock to go back to the States and realize how little you can do there.
I can agree...although I have to say having rented a bike in Beijing that bike lane turned into bus lane

Traffic is summed up like this. If it can move it will move. But no one is really trying to kill each other they are just trying to move.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:39 AM

635 posts, read 1,654,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I can agree...although I have to say having rented a bike in Beijing that bike lane turned into bus lane

Traffic is summed up like this. If it can move it will move. But no one is really trying to kill each other they are just trying to move.

Lol...so then if you are killed...it is truly by accident Is the bus system pretty efficient? I'm assuming it is. I'd prefer it not take an hour to get to work.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:32 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Default RE: airfare

My daughter's school paid her return ticket for her and also gave her a "moving allowance" of $100 (or similar) which she used for bringing a couple of extra suitcases above the airline luggage allowances. So she was only out of pocket for her actual visa.

The only thing she has been marginally half-impressed with is her schedule (but as her mother and having been around the corporate block a few times, I put mother-perspective on it and tell her she is just spoiled and picky and welcome to the real world! LOL)

Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Lol...so then if you are killed...it is truly by accident Is the bus system pretty efficient? I'm assuming it is. I'd prefer it not take an hour to get to work.
Sadly, the u.s. has one of the worst public transportation systems in the world. You won't have that problem in Korea or anywhere in Asia.

I think the longest I've ever waited for a bus is 15 minutes maximum, and I've taken alot of buses.

Most likely you'll live on a subway line. Those are even more efficient. Most schools are placed near stations, and the apartments for teachers are usually located near their schools.

In short, it's doubtful you'll ever need to take the bus.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 01-04-2012 at 08:56 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 AM

276 posts, read 762,907 times
Quote:
Move to Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World