U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 10:16 PM

192 posts, read 333,724 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered which country worked the most hours per week with the least vacation days per year (most hardest working country) and which country worked the least hours per week with the most vacation days per year (least hardest working country).

My take:

Most hardest working country in the world : United States with two weeks vacation (if offered by employer) and 40 hour work week. I've known a lot of Americans who'd spend time working while on vacation and work more than 40 hours a week on average. I've also known a lot of Americans who'd work part-time or temporary with no paid vacation.

Least hardest working country in the world : France. Correct me if I'm wrong, France forces you to take about 7-9 weeks paid time off? 35 hour work week?

As an American worker, the French way is very appealing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 11:25 PM

189 posts, read 298,054 times
US is already laidback compare to Japan.
Japan is probly the most workaholic nation. Its like Japanese people have no life outside their career. That probly explains the weird and unusual entertainments they have.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:45 PM

24,693 posts, read 19,006,430 times
Read an article not long ago, apparently Americans work longer hours on average than the Japanese.

The Latin countries, French, Italians, Spanish, really know how to have a work/life balance.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:56 PM

14,830 posts, read 8,609,305 times
Hardest working will be sweatshop economies like China, India and Bangladesh.

Least hard working will be nations such as Italy and Spain - though this will be coming to an end as they know realise they cannot retire at 50 and continue to live the life style they have.

Also nations such as Germany, the US and the UK work hard and for long hours and retire later then say France or Spain

Old 12-28-2011, 12:00 AM

24,693 posts, read 19,006,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Hardest working will be sweatshop economies like China, India and Bangladesh.

Least hard working will be nations such as Italy and Spain - though this will be coming to an end as they know realise they cannot retire at 50 and continue to live the life style they have.

Also nations such as Germany, the US and the UK work hard and for long hours and retire later then say France or Spain
Something to do with the 'Protestant work ethic.'

Old 12-28-2011, 12:25 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,125,976 times
Japan then South Korea.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:40 AM

1,270 posts, read 2,048,686 times
Quote:
Which is the most and least hardest working country?
Long hours do not equate hardest working... imo .. unless you're referring to the IT industry. The amount of hours they put in is shocking. I heard that Microsoft relocated their Richmond (BC) office to downtown Vancouver, amongst others, was that many of their staff were new drivers on "N" plates, hence not permitted on roads after midnight, whereas working and living downtown required no driving.

I've come across IT professionals from UK, Singapore, France, US, India, China .. and they all work crazy long hours.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:50 AM

4,682 posts, read 7,300,008 times
I think Spain, France, Italy seem to work the least, don't know about Latin American or Caribbean countries. The US is probably the hardest working Western country, but i'm sure the Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, and South Koreans and Indians work more

Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 AM

192 posts, read 333,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
Long hours do not equate hardest working... imo .. unless you're referring to the IT industry. The amount of hours they put in is shocking. I heard that Microsoft relocated their Richmond (BC) office to downtown Vancouver, amongst others, was that many of their staff were new drivers on "N" plates, hence not permitted on roads after midnight, whereas working and living downtown required no driving.

I've come across IT professionals from UK, Singapore, France, US, India, China .. and they all work crazy long hours.
I can relate to that. I think the I.T. industry is also one if not the most unstable industry to work in ... probably equates to the entertainment industry (hollywood but at least they have a union)

Old 12-28-2011, 08:16 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,299,948 times
there is a BIG difference between 'working long hours' and 'being at work long hours'

I had an argument - and won - with a former boss when I wanted to leave the office at 4.30 instead of 5.30.
We all started work at the same time but I ate breakfast on my way to work and actually started work at 9.00 whilst others ate breakfast at their desk. I didn't smoke so didn't have 'smoke breaks' and I rarely took a whole hour for lunch. I was far more productive during the time I was at my desk and was usually the one to help others out with their work load as I had completed mine.... from that day on if I had completed my work I left at 4.30.

so simply being at work for a long time doesn't mean you are working harder....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World