U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 AM

13,823 posts, read 12,612,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I find Americans a little naive more than uneducated and certainly far less aware than Europeans in general on worldy matters.
Another thing - Americans often have tendency to PROJECT their outlook on other countries. With another words, they have certain ideas about how things work in the US and they are often coming from the assumption that the ideas should be the same behind other countries, what makes them tick, instead of realizing that the Old World might be of a different concept all together, particularly when it comes to Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 11:11 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think this is a truth.

Even so, American conservatives seem to be in a league of their own. I am not sure why. They seem unwilling on uncapable of conceiving that any other country could have lessons worth learning from.
For the large number of America's religious conservatives who frame their brand of Christianity in terms of uniqueness and triumphalism, I cannot imagine that it is much of a stretch to see their nation in the same terms.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:06 PM

9 posts, read 24,423 times
Most educated/aware

Scandinavia/Finland
Netherlands
Switzerland
Japan
Germany
Canada

Also parts of the USA (probably to include the north-east and some other very Democrat/liberal areas e.g. Pacific Northwest, Minnesota, Hawaii) and parts of the UK (southern England).

Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 PM

15,669 posts, read 18,217,507 times
Before 9/11/01, there was a sense overall in America that you didn't need to know much about what was going on in the world, because everything was simply fine.

But we know how that feeling changed.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:19 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,382,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeno View Post
Most educated/aware

Scandinavia/Finland
Netherlands
Switzerland
Japan
Germany
Canada

Also parts of the USA (probably to include the north-east and some other very Democrat/liberal areas e.g. Pacific Northwest, Minnesota, Hawaii) and parts of the UK (southern England).
What are you saying, that we in northern England are ignorant? I am highly offended.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:09 AM

698 posts, read 506,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Educated yes, but insulated from the rest of the world.I`m reminded of the time a Canadian comic came to the U.S. to do interviews with people he met on the street. He asked my fellow Americans if they thought the polar bear hunting in Toronto should be ended and most of them said yes.
Then he asked them if they thought Canada should realign their time zones so they would be in synch with the U.S. and again most of those questioned said yes. Funny but embarrassing.
Well...here's the problem I see with shows of this nature. A producer, in an attempt to stroke the ego's of his compatriots back home, develops this television show centered around asking American citizens questions and airing the dumb responses. He rounds up financing, a production crew, a host and hops on a plane down south to film. Upon arriving back in Canada he airs the full, unedited taping he conducted in the U.S. showing the stupid as well as the smart respondents? Nope. Just the dumb ones. Give me a crew, throw a dart at a global map and send me on my way. I'll have a 30-minute show for you by Tuesday .

Old 01-02-2012, 01:17 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,778,125 times
what I atually appreciate in the Anglo saxon character are 2 traits that are sorely lacking in the French culture :
- casualness (the French are everything save casual)
- the art of understatement (French people are often drama queens):
hence, this funny story from WWI :
the Brits are in the trenches : suddenly there is a Fritz artillery attack, shrapnel is showering everywhere, Private Brown is at the receiving end of a shell, his leg is now a bloody stump.L
Lance Corporal Smith asks : how are you Private, do you need a stretcher ?
Replies Private Brown : I 'm feeling a slight scratch on my leg, but besides I'm perfectly fine.

Agreed, it's a bit of a caricature, but there is an element of truth it it!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:04 AM

635 posts, read 1,357,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Although I'm not American I'm a bit tired of people singling out Americans as being especially ignorant (largely based on selective polls) about the world and general knowledge in general compared to other nations. I've experienced a fair deal of ignorance and obliviousness from people of many nationalities, and from travelling have found Americans no stupider on average than others.

I suppose this will make my question sound sort of hypocritical/like setting up a bash-fest between countries. Anyway, in your experience, do any nations stand out as being particularly educated in general, globally aware/worldly? Do any strike you as being the opposite, rather unaware of the world outside their backyard?
I think the US has a mixture of the educated and the ignorant but you can be educated and ignorant...depending on the topic. Some people in the US have not been subjected to the world around us. This may be true in most countries. If I have not experienced something...I'd consider myself somewhat ignorant. However I'm pretty open-minded to others views and beliefs. Unfortunately we still have some racial issues here but have come a long way in the past 40 years.

And yes...we have stupid people too. Some of them I think should be catapulted to another planet...so they don't contaminate the rest of the world If I could say anything about the US...we are a wide mixture of intelligence and...ignorance. Many of us have strong political views and some of us (me) just want congress and politicians to pull their heads out and do their jobs and stop bickering. I'm ashamed of how the respective parties have been acting and I hope they can pull it together.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:47 AM

47 posts, read 52,937 times
If you looking for nations with highest percent of master degree, I suppose Polish fit here. But most of them are worth less than master degree obtained on American state universities. Something went wrong in Polish educational politic.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 AM

2,227 posts, read 4,285,572 times
Americans are far more ignorant not because of their fault.
Their media and papers are not focused on international events, except for very large papers from very large cities.
They are a Nation-Continent, they couldn't care less about abroad unless it affects them directly.
Here we are exposed to every idiotic things that happens in Samoa, for example.
If you take a paper from Miami, for example, it will only talk about Israel and Cuba, the rest of the world can go to hell.
Then large sections about plants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or