Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:03 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The smaller the country, the more internationally aware all of their citizens must be.

Large countries just become worlds to themselves.
I think this is a truth.

Even so, American conservatives seem to be in a league of their own. I am not sure why. They seem unwilling on uncapable of conceiving that any other country could have lessons worth learning from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 02:46 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Yeah, I also agree with Tiger Beer.. countries like the US, UK, and France are admired all over the world, so it's no wonder they are like worlds to themselves..

Old 01-01-2012, 05:12 AM

282 posts, read 962,326 times
I'm not saying Americans are uneducated, but some of the most uneducated people I've met were Americans, and I don't know that many Americans.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:17 AM

408 posts, read 997,033 times
When I was abroad in Peru, Costa Rica, and Poland, I didn't get the impression that these people were more "aware" of the world than us Americans. If anything, they had more access to foreign media which in turn, led to more interest and familiarity of outside cultural influences. As for genuine interest, the ball's in anyone's court. Just because you have the media, doesn't mean you will be more knowledgeable. A lot of stereotypes exist, and several young Scandinavian students I met -- for all their "worldiness" -- still had the most idiotic ideas about American (college) culture ever. In my opinion, you might as well forgo nationalities and focus on individuals. Many people forsake their culture for one reason or another, and judging them according to this would be misleading.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:58 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
I'm not saying Americans are uneducated, but some of the most uneducated people I've met were Americans, and I don't know that many Americans.
Educated yes, but insulated from the rest of the world.I`m reminded of the time a Canadian comic came to the U.S. to do interviews with people he met on the street. He asked my fellow Americans if they thought the polar bear hunting in Toronto should be ended and most of them said yes.
Then he asked them if they thought Canada should realign their time zones so they would be in synch with the U.S. and again most of those questioned said yes. Funny but embarrassing.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:59 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi! (Sorry but you were asking for that...) I meet a lot of Australians in everyday life over here and though most of them are nice, easy-going people, when I get talking to them about the places in Europe they're planning on visiting (not their back yard, I accept) the lack of knowledge is quite shocking (not that that's necessarily a bad thing) when I think that these are the ones who are interested enough to take the time and effort to travel, what must the ones who stay at home be like? I suppose it's inevitable growing up in a monolingual, isolated country notorious for being intellectual-unfriendly. One thing I have noticed about Australians I've met though is that they are much more familiar with Asia, despite the fact that 99% of them who I've met have been from a European heritage.

The most aware IMO would have to be those living in the smaller, non-English speaking countries in northern Europe. Growing up in a place where watching foreign-language TV with or even without subtitles, going abroad multiple times a year and having no choice but to speak a foreign language and reading books in English rather than wait three months for the translation into your language is the norm, plus a society which respects being cultured, well-read and knowing about the rest of the world (and which has an education system to match) can't help but breed people like that.
Fully agree. I would have written almost word for word some twenty plus years ago. Best that can be said I guess is that somethings don't change too much.
Saying that the Aussies are perhaps less obnoxious than years back in London perhaps...
Indeed in Australia little with regards to the outside world is usually discussed.
For the most aware I would go more for certain cities than countries as such. For example London would be way out in front while I wouldn't consider Great Yarmouth to be.
I would include Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris, Copenhagen and those sort places but having lived in Denmark,not the entire nation.
Aussies have a superficial awareness when it comes to Asia. Sure most have been to Bali that live here in Perth but that hardly makes them Asia literate.
Returning to Oz some five years back after a month in Laos found almost no one knew where it was,some thought possibly in Thailand,but most had never heard of it. Here I refer to so called educated people.
Still Oz is not a bad place if you want to tune off and forget about the horrors happening to those in less fortunate countries,which to many Aussie minds is anywhere that is not Australia.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
I find Americans a little naive more than uneducated and certainly far less aware than Europeans in general on worldy matters.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I was just looking at a question on Yahoo! Answers, asking why native English speakers are so bad at spelling their own language? The asker wanted to know why Brits, Americans, Canadians and Australians misspelled alot of words yet many non-native English speakers spell perfectly..

Are the Anglo-Saxons really this ignorant, or is it because English is so common? I mean, Scandinavians, the Dutch etc need to learn English when travelling or working/studying abroad because it is the international language of business..
Discovered a long time ago many Europeans could explain English grammar better than native speakers.
They are taught at school. Something rather lacking at some of the schools I attended at any rate.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:18 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
The citizens of former empires and "Nation Continents" or very isolated societies.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:00 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I find Americans a little naive more than uneducated and certainly far less aware than Europeans in general on worldy matters.
I assumed that to be the case until I moved to Europe.

Once in Europe, I found most Europeans have no clue whatsoever about Asia....couldn't tell you the difference between Chinese and Korean and Japanese, etc.

Have very little knowledge of the U.S., beyond what their media portrayed. Which usually something that perpetuates stupid americans, fat americans, loud americans, etc.

Granted I found among EDUCATED Europeans an awareness of the world in their international cities like Amsterdam, etc. Not all that different than I found among educated Americans from cities like San Francisco, etc.

But there is just a whole lot of just normal regular working people in Europe, who never leave Europe, have no intention of leaving Europe, and think Europe is just fine for them. (Just like any country in the world).

If you threw a dart on a map of Europe, and it landed on Britain's 38th largest town, that no tourist has any interest to go to, and their brightest people try to get out of to try their luck in London - it's doubtful you're going to find this super-educated worldly citizenry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World