Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I read that over 30% of African-Americans have some caucasian/european ancestor in there somewhere. The fact that America does the 'one drop' rule, you have people like Obama's previous Minister (the most caucasian-looking black man I've ever seen in my life) claiming to be way blacker than he actually is.

Anyways, if you know many very dark-skinned African-American, it's probably because plenty of AA's in the U.S. actually don't have any european-descented blood in their bloodlines as well, either.

Despite that, I'd also like to say that one doesn't have to be black-black to be considered from Africa. They have a ton of arabic, european, chinese, indonesian, indian, and just a wide-range of different types of african-centered genetics running through that continent as well.
I've seen much whiter-looking blacks than Rev Wright. A few occasions, I have just assumed that someone was white until they opened their mouth spoke with AAVE dialect and then I started to see their black features. The people in this video look pretty white but they claim to be black

Blacks who pass for white (1 of 8) - YouTube

Obviously they're aware that they have a lot of white ancestry, some are probably more white than black, but race in America is more about identification than blood quantum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I've seen much whiter-looking blacks than Rev Wright. A few occasions, I have just assumed that someone was white until they opened their mouth spoke with AAVE dialect and then I started to see their black features. The people in this video look pretty white but they claim to be black

Obviously they're aware that they have a lot of white ancestry, some are probably more white than black, but race in America is more about identification than blood quantum.
I do notice that "America's Next Top Model", they seem to occassionally find these white-looking mixed African/Caucasian women. I'm always a bit surprised that they mention they are half black.

So, yeah, I guess there are whiter looking black people than Rev. Wright, for sure.

Actually, I don't know much about Rev. Wright, but he always spoke as if he was an authoritarian on the complete and total black experience. (And least from the Republican agenda and Fox agenda clips they'd show).

He always looked too white to me, too mixed, to experience the full-on black experience. But, what do I know anyways. Can't really judge a person based on looks.

Years ago, I taught English in Sao Paulo Brazil. One of my students was a Rev Wright look-a-like, and everyday I taught him, he was always telling me he was so glad his skin was as white as it was, so that he could be working in the office of that company.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

Blacks who pass for white (1 of 8) - YouTube

Came out of the closet as black, lol.

I think how she says she's not 'multi-racial' is interesting, and it shows how race is as much an idea as a genetic reality. Clearly, she does have some white ancestors. I'm sure even she realises that, but physically she could pass as say an Italian or Hispanic. But I think it does depend on how much you identify you with black/white culture more than simple genetics. It's interesting to think that people would treat a person who looked the same so differently once they found out they were black.

Personally if I were multi-racial I wouldn't want to 'lean' to either side, I'd just want to make race a non issue.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:03 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,318 times
That has been my personal experiene FWIW...

Which is also true for Europeans vs white Americans as well...

Old 04-26-2012, 02:21 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
21 pages later and what I said here pretty much still stands, especially the part in blue.

As can be seen in this thread, for the most part, the ones that see the obvious mixed reality of AA's tend to be non-Americans. On the other hand, the one's insisting on either the mixed race one's being seen as black or confusing the whole situation by pretending most AA's descend from places other than Western Africa, or even assuming that there was no mixture in Africa itself, tend to be African Americans. Blacks and mixed race people from other countries, for the most part, tend to agree that AA's are quite mixed. AA's have issues accepting their reality, IMO.

Just take a careful look at this thread and you will notice the trends.

As expected.
I don't think that's true at all. I think we all know we are not purely African, but that it is the African, not the European, as well as the social and cultural response to the marginalization of the descendants of Africans, that leads us to identify with Africa. We are Americans of African descent.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:28 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
Climate and diet..along with more indoor living will lighten the tone of your skin..in a hundred generations black people will be white people. Not to mention who's secretly making love to who and bearing children...Having so African woman visit us for a week a few years back - they talked a lot about tone and class...even those in Africa are tone conscious - most of these woman were elite with professional parents..YOU would assume that in Africa the black race is pure...inter-racial unions have been going on for thousands of years..

Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 PM

74 posts, read 122,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I was lurking in a few threads that discussed African Americans, and there were many posters who commented that AAs tend to be lighter than Black people from Africa which is totally not true. I happen to be African American, and darkskin, and in my area there are many who are as well. Is it a regional thing? Where some ppl live do they happen to see more lighter toned AAs than darkskinned ones?
It is generally true due to the white ancestry that is common among us black Americans.

As for my area, I've known all shades of black on black people. My family is quite mixed. I am average for an African-American. My dad's side is average. My maternal grandmother is quite dark. My maternal grandfather's side is the lightest. My great-grandmother on that side (who is still alive) has coloring like that of many biracial celebrities like Mariah Carey. In fact, she supposedly had a white great-grandfather.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,761 times
I can tell African Americans apart from the AVERAGE West African or even Caribbean groups like Haitians who are less racially mixed than AA. African Americans like many West Africans and Caribbeans come in different shades and are incredibly diverse but the average African American is medium toned w/ 'watered down' African features. I mean this by the African influence is obviously dominant but with slight Euro influence which makes a distinction when compared to a pure West African phenotype. The mixing of African ethnic groups and contact with Europeans and/or Native Americans contribute to the varied monopoly of skin tones and features of African Americans.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:59 AM

318 posts, read 625,830 times
I think native Africans look darker than African Americans, I'm not entirely sure though.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Climate and diet..along with more indoor living will lighten the tone of your skin..in a hundred generations black people will be white people. Not to mention who's secretly making love to who and bearing children...Having so African woman visit us for a week a few years back - they talked a lot about tone and class...even those in Africa are tone conscious - most of these woman were elite with professional parents..YOU would assume that in Africa the black race is pure...inter-racial unions have been going on for thousands of years..
This post is a world class joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World