U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,760,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
We have quite a few immigrants from Africa nowadays. Those from east Africa - Sudan, Kenya etc can be extremely dark; some are basically black not brown, darker than West Africans. In the US I think blacks in the north might be a little lighter on average than those in the South as well because of more mixing. But then again northern cities are very segregated so maybe not.
Nah, there's plenty of light-skinned blacks in the South. Plenty of illegitimate relations in the past, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 AM

192 posts, read 576,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I think African-Americans have a different "look" to them- they are larger in physical frame too, than the Blacks in Africa or the Caribbean...
so many things, such as mannerisms, dressing, hairstyles, makeup, "swagger", physically distinguish a race of one region from the same race in another region...
Speaking of mannerisms, the Africans that I know (Nigeria,Kenya, Chad, Tanzania, Mozambique, Ghana) wouldn't give a rats a** about African Americans. I'd asked them if they have any African American friends, pretty much all of them would say 'No'. I said 'Why?', answer is 'I just couldn't stand their manners' (being the I'm cool image). The Africans I know are very much reserved, rigid, disciplined and very neat/tidy in mannerisms. I must admit, some of them drove me crazy with their cleanliness.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:27 AM

2,975 posts, read 3,990,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
Speaking of mannerisms, the Africans that I know (Nigeria,Kenya, Chad, Tanzania, Mozambique, Ghana) wouldn't give a rats a** about African Americans. I'd asked them if they have any African American friends, pretty much all of them would say 'No'. I said 'Why?', answer is 'I just couldn't stand their manners' (being the I'm cool image). The Africans I know are very much reserved, rigid, disciplined and very neat/tidy in mannerisms. I must admit, some of them drove me crazy with their cleanliness.
Those Nigerians don't speak for all Africans though. And I don't even think you know that many to be able to say that most don't give a rats a** about AAs. I am AA and there are many Nigerians and Ghanians who live in my area and go to college w/ & we all get along just fine. I'm pretty sure you are going to have some who may dislike Americans for some reason but they dont speak for the majority. My best friend from high school is Ghanian. There are a few AAs who are married to Nigerian/Ghanian men.

What I find so ironic is the only time Whites like Africans is when they are trying to pit them against African Americans--any other time they are trashing Africa and saying how poor & uncivilized it is..

Old 01-07-2012, 10:54 AM

43,933 posts, read 44,083,325 times
Just as a point of interest, when the Marquis de Lafayette returned to the US in his old age, he remarked on how much lighter the black population in Virginia had become. This was due, of course, to interbreeding between the European and African populations.

Some areas of the US that were more isolated for many generations, such as the Carolina Sea Islands where the Gullah people live, tend to have darker-skinned African-Americans, as well as stronger evidence of African heritage in language and culture.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 AM

43,933 posts, read 44,083,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Its just like whites from the south look so much different than whites from the north.
They look more pale,with lighter hair and skin. They also seem taller and bigger. I know that in Nj the whites are more tan with dark hair and eyes. Comes from Italy.

Ex: Theresa Guidice vs Taylor Swift.

I don't think Africans and African americans look different. They look the same.
Some people don't that there are light skinned people in West Africa,even ones with slanted eyes.
I think some AA use the excuse of having white in their family tree to make themselves seem superior to other AA who may be or look unmixed(in appearance). They don't realize that light skin and long hair could have came from Africa.

Another thing,that caucasian gene may come from Africa too,except it probably came from Arabs who freely traded with Bantu peoples,even forming a mixed tribe called the Hausa,and Fulani. Look them up,they were brought over on slave ships too.

I find that funny. My family has been in New Jersey for five or six generations. We are of Dutch descent.

The Italians are relative newcomers to NJ. My grandparents did not consider Italians to even be white.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:00 PM

24,684 posts, read 39,457,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I find that funny. My family has been in New Jersey for five or six generations. We are of Dutch descent.

The Italians are relative newcomers to NJ. My grandparents did not consider Italians to even be white.
Southern Europeans faced heavy discrimination here in Australia in decades past, but they've largely become integrated. 'White' is such an imprecise term anyway. Caucasian or Caucasoid is a bit better (including darker skinned Arabs and Persians).

Old 01-07-2012, 10:54 PM

4,350 posts, read 6,618,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just as a point of interest, when the Marquis de Lafayette returned to the US in his old age, he remarked on how much lighter the black population in Virginia had become. This was due, of course, to interbreeding between the European and African populations.

Some areas of the US that were more isolated for many generations, such as the Carolina Sea Islands where the Gullah people live, tend to have darker-skinned African-Americans, as well as stronger evidence of African heritage in language and culture.
That's obvious. Anyone that has visited a country where blacks are a majority and interracial mixing was minimum (Haiti, Senegal, Ghana, etc) would know that the average person in those countries are considerably darker than the typical African Americans. Its not just skin color, the variety of hair texture, nose shapes -not just if the nose is straight or flat, but also whether the nose bridge is high or if the bridge has a bump, both of which are not native of true blacks-, among other features makes it clear that much mixture is present in the US, but especially in the African American community.

Here's an interesting video:

No one can blame African Americans for not wanting to acknowledge their mixed heritage. They will continue to insist on the black identity, mostly because they've been taught to think in a binary racial way, applying and justifying the One-Drop-Rule whenever and however possible. The US racial system was designed to deny the existence of the mixed race, and it will be quite some time before that erroneous mentality is fully eradicated.

The truth needs to be the basis of all identities. No more make believe. DNA testing is making this possible.

A similar discussion is taking place regarding Native Americans: http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...ans-too-4.html

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-07-2012 at 11:03 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 PM

2,975 posts, read 3,990,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
That's obvious. Anyone that has visited a country where blacks are a majority and interracial mixing was minimum (Haiti, Senegal, Ghana, etc) would know that the average person in those countries are considerably darker than the typical African Americans. Its not just skin color, the variety of hair texture, nose shapes -not just if the nose is straight or flat, but also whether the nose bridge is high or if the bridge has a bump, both of which are not native of true blacks-, among other features makes it clear that much mixture is present in the US, but especially in the African American community.
who told you that those features were not native of true blacks? In fact, they are. Those features that many Caucasions have originated in Africa.

there seems to be a belief that all black people in Africa look one way which is not true. Not all Ghanians are darkskin with flat noses. Why do you keep on insisting this is true when I see them and intereact with them on a regular basis? They come in a variety of skin tones just like African americans.

Quote:
Here's an interesting video:

No one can blame African Americans for not wanting to acknowledge their mixed heritage. They will continue to insist on the black identity, mostly because they've been taught to think in a binary racial way, applying and justifying the One-Drop-Rule whenever and however possible. The US racial system was designed to deny the existence of the mixed race, and it will be quite some time before that erroneous mentality is fully eradicated.

The truth needs to be the basis of all identities. No more make believe. DNA testing is making this possible.

A similar discussion is taking place regarding Native Americans: http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...ans-too-4.html
That's the thing, a lot of African Americans are not that mixed. Some would have to go back several generations to find any White ancestors if they know any exist. So being just Black is all they know. You can't identify with a culture or identity you know nothing about, especially if its 10 generations back or more. Having an admixture is not like being biracial where you were raised by a parent of a different race/culture and you can identify with it. I am African American and I don't have a significant racial admixture and there are many others who don't.

Not all of us have the same amount of racial admixture in us, it really varies. Some AAs have more racial admixture, and some have less. So what you are saying does not apply to all of us. Many of us just identify with the race we look like the most, so if you just have predominantly Black ancestry & look Black than that is how you are going to identify. I think ppl are under the assumption that all AAs look & are mixed and that is not the truth--in some regions many AAs sometimes get mistaken for Africans by Ghanians and Nigerians

Last edited by nyanna; 01-07-2012 at 11:56 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 01:12 AM

12,148 posts, read 10,896,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
who told you that those features were not native of true blacks? In fact, they are. Those features that many Caucasions have originated in Africa.

there seems to be a belief that all black people in Africa look one way which is not true. Not all Ghanians are darkskin with flat noses. Why do you keep on insisting this is true when I see them and intereact with them on a regular basis? They come in a variety of skin tones just like African americans.

That's the thing, a lot of African Americans are not that mixed. Some would have to go back several generations to find any White ancestors if they know any exist. So being just Black is all they know. You can't identify with a culture or identity you know nothing about, especially if its 10 generations back or more. Having an admixture is not like being biracial where you were raised by a parent of a different race/culture and you can identify with it. I am African American and I don't have a significant racial admixture and there are many others who don't.

Not all of us have the same amount of racial admixture in us, it really varies. Some AAs have more racial admixture, and some have less. So what you are saying does not apply to all of us. Many of us just identify with the race we look like the most, so if you just have predominantly Black ancestry & look Black than that is how you are going to identify. I think ppl are under the assumption that all AAs look & are mixed and that is not the truth--in some regions many AAs sometimes get mistaken for Africans by Ghanians and Nigerians
Nyanna... From my observation, plenty of African Americans are as dark as Africans and have no admixture of Whites in them.
The only difference I see is that African Africans are coming from different countries, and each country has its own distinctive look ( for the most part, unless countries share the borders and then the same look can be shared by few countries in the region.) African Americans however don't have this visible distinction among them, ( unless they are clearly mixed with whites of course.) So it's more or less the same type; so either most of their ancestors came from the same region in Africa, ( I don't know - central Africa may be?) or this particular type became common because of the mixture of them all in the US, except for East Africans, who are clearly ( and visibly) different.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:27 AM

16,505 posts, read 18,839,315 times
Most African-Americans are of West African descent, so get a lot of features from the various groups of West Africa (who also had a bit of admixture with Berber/Arabic populations through trans-Saharan trade). So, of course, African-Americans and West Africans look quite alike. We basically have to keep in mind that Africa is a huge continent with a lot of diverse groups, so saying just "Africa" by itself is kind of ridiculous.

As for European ancestry of African-Americans, it's true that on AVERAGE there is a significant European admixture (20%) and the vast majority of African-Americans have some European ancestry, but there is a large variation on just how much from one family to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World