U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2012, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Kūkiʻo, HI & Manhattan Beach, CA
2,615 posts, read 5,643,816 times
Reputation: 2353

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Many people would mistake them for being Black/African, including Whites or any other group of people, until they find out what they are. Just so you will remember it was a White President who created the One drop rule and all of the racial classifications like quadroon, octoroon, etc It was because of him this One Drop Rule exists in the first place.
Unfortunately, some Africans and American Americans have internalized the "one drop" rule and fail to acknowledge or recognize that there might be other things floating around in their gene pools. While the "one drop rule" might have been foisted upon Africans and African Americans by outsiders, what are the advantages to continuing to perpetuate it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I fail to see your point in stating this. African Americans, like me have the right to claim our own 'blackness'.
There are other peoples in the world that are "black" in addition to Africans and African Americans. While African Americans can claim "blackness" and embrace a "uniquely American" identity, is it really possible to claim an authentic "Africanness" when that direct genealogical link has been lost or severed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
African Americans identify as African American because that is what many of us are. Many of our phenotypes are African as well as our genotype--such may not be the case for Melanesians but they dont have anything to do with the discussion. We are not trying to claim Melanesians (they have their own culture), or the other non-African black people from Papua New Guinea, we respect they have their own culture. There has never been an argument about the Melanesians so why are you creating one? Besides, I doubt the average American even knows what a Melanesian is nor do they care.
Actually, Melanesians do have something to do with the original question which asked about the phenotypic differences between Africans and African Americans and their geographic distribution. How is it that Melanesians living on islands in the Pacific Ocean look more "African" than many African Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2012, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Midwest
2,975 posts, read 3,991,059 times
Reputation: 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Unfortunately, some Africans and American Americans have internalized the "one drop" rule and fail to acknowledge or recognize that there might be other things floating around in their gene pools. While the "one drop rule" might have been foisted upon Africans and African Americans by outsiders, what are the advantages to continuing to perpetuate it?
What racial group does not have any racial admixtures floating in their gene pool?? There are very few pure races on earth, yet no one suggests other ethnic groups to claim a mixed race identity. This is only with Black people. People identify with the most dominant race. If you are 93% Black or White then that is what you will identify as. It's not the same as being half/half.


The individuals who chose to identify as Black, but are biracial do so because they want to. However, that is not the case for most African Americans because many of us are not biracial and there is no question that we are Black.






Quote:
Actually, Melanesians do have something to do with the original question which asked about the phenotypic differences between Africans and African Americans and their geographic distribution. How is it that Melanesians living on islands in the Pacific Ocean look more "African" than many African Americans?
Again, African americans (and black people in general) are diverse and there are many who look like the Melanesians. And then there are others who don't. You seem to be under the impression that all African Americans are light complected with certain features which is not true. You must not live around many African Americans.

One group of people do not all look the same--Indians come in a variety of skin tones and features, and the same with Black people, Whites, and Asians. Humans are just diverse in general. I don't know why people want to put Black people in a small box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
18,998 posts, read 16,738,340 times
Reputation: 7637
Indeed, quite a spectrum, from Michael Clarke Duncan to Prince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ area
8,235 posts, read 9,072,388 times
Reputation: 5030
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
That's the thing, a lot of African Americans are not that mixed.
Afro Latinos are much more racially mixed than African Americans. I don't think most of the Latin American countries were as racially segregated as the U.S. so it wasn't such a taboo when it came to interracial relationships in those countries compared to the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Kūkiʻo, HI & Manhattan Beach, CA
2,615 posts, read 5,643,816 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
What racial group does not have any racial admixtures floating in their gene pool?? There are very few pure races on earth, yet no one suggests other ethnic groups to claim a mixed race identity. This is only with Black people. People identify with the most dominant race. If you are 93% Black or White then that is what you will identify as. It's not the same as being half/half.


The individuals who chose to identify as Black, but are biracial do so because they want to. However, that is not the case for most African Americans because many of us are not biracial and there is no question that we are Black.
All modern human beings (ie. "homo sapiens") had ancestors that came from Africa. However, some of those ancestors migrated from Africa at different times and developed traits that enabled them to survive in different environments. Hopefully, you're aware that "race" is merely a social construct and that one's DNA often tells a different tale. Some ethnic groups do embrace a "mixed race" identity. Many Pilipinos, Chamorros, Latinos, Brazilians, Cubans, and members of other ethnic groups acknowledge their "mixed race" origins. Unfortunately, some of members of these groups also possess a "colonial mentality" and have adopted some of the attitudes of their colonizers. Many Africans and African Americans possess a "colonial mentality" as well. It's somewhat ironic that many Africans and African Americans spend enormous amounts of money on "beauty products" to lighten their skin and straighten their hair, while Europeans and European Americans go to "tanning salons" and get "perms."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Again, African americans (and black people in general) are diverse and there are many who look like the Melanesians. And then there are others who don't. You seem to be under the impression that all African Americans are light complected with certain features which is not true. You must not live around many African Americans.
I'm quite aware of the diversity of African Americans. Not only have I lived around African Americans, I've lived with them and I have relatives that would be considered "black" in the continental United States...


David Laʻamea Kamanakapuʻu Mahinulani Nalaiaehuokalani Lumialani Kalākaua

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
One group of people do not all look the same--Indians come in a variety of skin tones and features, and the same with Black people, Whites, and Asians. Humans are just diverse in general. I don't know why people want to put Black people in a small box
"Black" folks are extremely diverse; however, some choose to ignore certain aspects of their genetic heritage and emphasize their ties to Africa. One doesn't have to be "biracial" to acknowledge and accept their "non-African" heritage. Frederick Douglass, Booker T. Washington, W.E.B. DuBois, Josephine Baker, Malcolm X, Eartha Kitt, Bob Marley, Barack Obama, Connie Rice (Condolezza's cousin), Henry Louis Gates, and countless others managed to embrace their "blackness", while acknowledging and accepting their non-African ancestry. Carter G. Woodson (the "father" of "African American history") wrote that "a people cannot determine their future if they are ignorant of their past." The history of black folks in the United States is not just written in books and or told in stories, it's also written in DNA. In a nutshell, all "black" folks aren't "African" or "African American" and all "Africans" and "African Americans" aren't all "black."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 06:08 PM
 
99 posts, read 163,272 times
Reputation: 65
Well yes and no. For one thing, American blacks came mostly from west Africa. Places like Angola, Nigeria, Ghana and Senegal, with some small contribution perhaps from southern Africa, especially Mozambique. Africa is a huge continent, and the people native to there range from looking essentially white (ie, certain people in the Maghreb and Egypt), to dark skinned, but somewhat Caucasoid in features (East Africa), and then you have the Pygmies and Khoisan who have a very distinct appearance that's quite different from Bantu (black) people. And in Madagascar you have a population that is half black and half Asian because the island was partially colonized by Indonesians!

American blacks are also to some extent mixed with white Europeans and native Americans, so certain American blacks do not look entirely African/might be light skinned because they aren't completely African.

A dark African American will very much resemble a Nigerian person in appearance but won't resemble most Berbers, Bushmen, or inhabitants of Madagascar or Somalia all that much or at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 06:13 PM
 
99 posts, read 163,272 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I'm reading that there are still many places in the US that are all White, where many white Americans have never even seen a black person. So how are we so diverse?
Sorry but I'm calling bull on that. Even North Dakota is like 1% black or something lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Midwest
2,975 posts, read 3,991,059 times
Reputation: 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
Well yes and no. For one thing, American blacks came mostly from west Africa. Places like Angola, Nigeria, Ghana and Senegal, with some small contribution perhaps from southern Africa, especially Mozambique. Africa is a huge continent, and the people native to there range from looking essentially white (ie, certain people in the Maghreb and Egypt), to dark skinned, but somewhat Caucasoid in features (East Africa), and then you have the Pygmies and Khoisan who have a very distinct appearance that's quite different from Bantu (black) people. And in Madagascar you have a population that is half black and half Asian because the island was partially colonized by Indonesians!

American blacks are also to some extent mixed with white Europeans and native Americans, so certain American blacks do not look entirely African/might be light skinned because they aren't completely African.

A dark African American will very much resemble a Nigerian person in appearance but won't resemble most Berbers, Bushmen, or inhabitants of Madagascar or Somalia all that much or at all.

Many will be offended by the fact that you stated lightskinned Black people are not entirely African. They are apart of the Black diversity that is in Africa and America. There are lightskinned Black people in Africa too. Not all of them are very darkskin with stereotypical features.

I noticed that with other ethnic groups, people do not feel the need to separate them and say one is less or more based on skin tone. For instance with Indians, no one will say that a lightskinned Indian is less Indian than a darkskinned one. Look at the Bollywood actress Aishwaraya Rai, she is very lightskinned with blue eyes yet I never hear anyone questioning her Indian-ness and saying that she isn't a real Indian because she may have Caucasion ancestry. People simply accept the fact that Indians come in a wide array of skin tones, and features end of story. However with Black people, we are not given that same respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 AM
 
16,444 posts, read 17,356,504 times
Reputation: 9451
Yes. Real Africans don't always look like they have a chip on their shoulder...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
18,998 posts, read 16,738,340 times
Reputation: 7637
African-Americans are of course not entirely African, they are as African as white Americans are European, or not for that matter. It would be naive to expect them to be. I think AA's who consider themselves Africans are lying to themselves. I can understand them because they don't like white America and their history there, of course. But they are not African, either. I guess they will have to create their own, new ethnic identity, and to a certain extent that has already happened.

Culturally I even think AA's are more European than they are African, simply because they have been living in a European-based culture for centuries. Looks is really pretty much the only thing African about them.

There is a lot of racism in India. It is way more complex than the AA situation in the US, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top