Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 05:34 AM

11,646 posts, read 12,888,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What sort of 'accent' should Cornish be spoken in if not an English one?
However the Cornish language sounded like prior to the English emergence. Perhaps the "true" Cornish language has its R-rolled with different inflections/tones than southwest English accent? Because that woman clearly spoke Cornish in a southwest English accent/tone.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:52 AM

14,830 posts, read 11,953,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
However the Cornish language sounded like prior to the English emergence. Perhaps the "true" Cornish language has its R-rolled with different inflections/tones than southwest English accent? Because that woman clearly spoke Cornish in a southwest English accent/tone.
The Cornish people still have a 'Cornish accent', just like the Welsh have a Welsh one or the people in Yorkshire have a 'Yorkshire accent' etc, the Cornish accent is an accent derived from the people of Cornwall, that IS how the people that live in that part of the UK sound, being Cornish doesn't mean you are not English, in other words 'Cornish' is an English language.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:18 AM

11,646 posts, read 12,888,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The Cornish people still have a 'Cornish accent', just like the Welsh have a Welsh one or the people in Yorkshire have a 'Yorkshire accent' etc, the Cornish accent is an accent derived from the people of Cornwall, that IS how the people that live in that part of the UK sound, being Cornish doesn't mean you are not English, in other words 'Cornish' is an English language.
Yeah, I guess it's the other way round - Their English accent is based on the Cornish language rather than vice versa.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:06 PM

14,830 posts, read 11,953,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Yeah, I guess it's the other way round - Their English accent is based on the Cornish language rather than vice versa.

Yes this.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:26 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,063,570 times
American english has been massively influenced by Dutch in one important area: cadence. The ups and downs of speech patterns; the inflections that give American english it's own identity apart from British english was infused early on with the language of Dutch settlers. Even today, when I hear modern Dutch it sounds like I should be able to understand it, and probably could with a little effort, but at this moment in time it's gibberish to me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.