U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 06:32 PM

99 posts, read 163,222 times

Advertisements

It's a fact that English is most related to Scots, and then to Frisian, and then to Dutch, but I don't really think it sounds much like any of those languages. To me it sounds quite a bit like Icelandic or even Danish.

Check this out, imo you can really hear the Germanicness of English.

Short film in fake English - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Here's another one

Prisencolinensinainciusol with Subtitles - YouTube

Old 01-08-2012, 06:49 PM

2,942 posts, read 3,915,081 times
If you know Dutch, it's very easy to spot the similarities with English, even in sound. I think it sounds more similar to English than Frisian, even though Frisian is linguistically closer. The similarities are mostly in small but very common words, like wat (what), dat (that), is, hoe (how), jou (you), 't (it), me, we, hem (him), haar (her), etc. So you have sentences like "wat is dat?" and you can barely distinguish Dutch from English Then again, they're not nearly as close as e.g. Nowegian and Swedish or Portuguese and Spanish, there's still a clear difference between the two. Dutch also has the strongest influence of French of all Germanic languages after English, so that's a similarity too.

I don't know where you hear the similarities with Danish, I don't hear that at all. Icelandic sounds a bit like Welsh or Gaelic to me but not modern English.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Icelandic sounds a bit like Welsh or Gaelic to me but not modern English.
Yeah, aren't the Icelanders basically an Irish-Norwegian hybrid?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:01 PM

2,942 posts, read 3,915,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
Yeah, aren't the Icelanders basically an Irish-Norwegian hybrid?
I don't know about the Irish part but speaking from memory I think they are descendants of Norwegian vikings

Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 PM

24,684 posts, read 39,457,949 times
I think it depends on the accent. Northern English accents, the oldest accents, sound similar to Swedish to me. There's the Nordic influence in that part of the country.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:03 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,067,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I don't know about the Irish part but speaking from memory I think they are descendants of Norwegian vikings
Icelandic people are descendents of both Viking and Gaelic settlers. There's also evidence that Iceland was settled by Irish monks prior to the Norse invasion. I read somewhere that the majority of Icelandic men are Nordic, while the women are predominantly of Gaelic origin. Iceland could almost be considered as much of a part of the British Isles as Scandinavia, but Nordic culture proved to be dominant, stamping out any remnants of Celtic culture long ago.

The same applies to the Faroe Islands, but the reverse occurred in parts of northern Scotland, the Orkney & Shetland Islands, where people ate pretty much of the same genetic stock/mix.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
but Nordic culture proved to be dominant, stamping out any remnants of Celtic culture long ago.
Hmmm I wouldn't say it entirely stamped out Celtic culture. I mean, many Icelanders still believe in elves, which I guess are a Germanic thing, but certainly the 'little people' thing might have a Celtic connection as well.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 PM

287 posts, read 848,927 times
Quote:
That is a killer track.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:36 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,067,224 times
Quote:
Hmmm I wouldn't say it entirely stamped out Celtic culture. I mean, many Icelanders still believe in elves, which I guess are a Germanic thing, but certainly the 'little people' thing might have a Celtic connection as well.
Gaelic culture was largely wiped out though by dominant Norse culture, even though the first settlers were 'Papar' (monks) from Ireland. When the Vikings invaded, they brought female slaves over from Scotland and Ireland.

A true description of Icelanders would be Norse-Gaels.

You can find many images of Icelanders showing that many don't look typically Scandinavian and could easily pass as Scots or Irish. The same is true in reverse if you were to look at images of people in Shetland, Orkney and Lewis...many could easily pass for Norwegian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World