U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 AM

18,487 posts, read 15,499,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I hate the term world music. The term is so euro centric. How can you take hundreds of genres of music and group them like they're all the same?
Portuguese and Spanish music are also usually included in the world music genre... Maybe it simply refers to music from non-Anglo-Saxon countries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 AM

9,367 posts, read 9,033,028 times
What about Mexico, Jamaica (Reggae), Puerto Rico (Reggaeton), Colombia and Italy?
USA is by far my favorite followed by the UK.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,511,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, France is on their list, a country where people are pretty fierce about French lyrics
it would be on mine, but only for electronica (daft punk ,sebastiAn, Cassius etc) or english speaking lyrics by French bands such as Phoenix, Tahiti 80, M83 etc

I quite enjoy brazilian music, it is the only music I listen to where I do not know the language, I love the rhythm (samba, batucada etc), and I love the way the Portugeuse sounds (more rhythmic and beautiful than continental IMO)

Old 01-10-2012, 09:44 AM

9,367 posts, read 9,033,028 times
Best Genre:
Hip Hop - USA
Pop - USA
Country - USA
Metal - Sweden?
Reggae - Jamaica
Reggaeton - Puerto Rico
Dance - Netherlands

Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 AM

18,487 posts, read 15,499,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
it would be on mine, but only for electronica (daft punk ,sebastiAn, Cassius etc) or english speaking lyrics by French bands such as Phoenix, Tahiti 80, M83 etc

I quite enjoy brazilian music, it is the only music I listen to where I do not know the language, I love the rhythm (samba, batucada etc), and I love the way the Portugeuse sounds (more rhythmic and beautiful than continental IMO)
Never heard of any of those bands, electronic music is not my world.
Usually I also have a problem with singers from non-English speaking countries singing in English. Either it is because they want to be commercial and appeal to mass audiences, or because they are too stupid to write lyrics in their own language, instead repeating me-see, you-do, my-lie kind of rhymes ad nauseum I'd prefer instrumentals, frankly...

Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM

19,696 posts, read 60,998,903 times
Sweden has a great hardcore punk scene.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 AM

5,526 posts, read 8,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I guess it depends what you're into.

Brazil is pretty mind-blowing in just number of completely different genres of music out there. Plus, they have all the same genres that you'd find in the States. I'd say Brazil is pretty close behind the USA for music.

I don't see Canada or Australia being music places....they just have genres of music that pretty much cater to the exact kinds of music that already exist in the U.S. You'll get a Tragically Hip or a Bryan Adams, but they're just another band, not really revolutioning music as we know it.

Outside of Brazil, I'd say Africa must have some damn interesting stuff. Too bad it didn't have venues to get that stuff out there and heard.

Outside of those areas, Japan is quite interesting. Granted, J-Pop is what they excel at, but what's interesting about Japan is all the stuff that worldwide known artists create here, that you can only get in Japan.

The UK is high up there though, for just having great bands that truly revolutionize.
I agree it depends on what types of music someone is into and it can be subjective.

I don’t know what Japan music, Brazil music, and African music is like. I will check it out soon.

Ethnic Asian music such as Indian music seems great, and also probably Ethnic Chinese music as well.

For some reason music in Japan and South Korea seems less Ethnic compared to Indian/Chinese music and more like American music such as Pop and Rock n’Roll. Is this true?

Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I hate the term world music. The term is so euro centric. How can you take hundreds of genres of music and group them like they're all the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Portuguese and Spanish music are also usually included in the world music genre... Maybe it simply refers to music from non-Anglo-Saxon countries.
Well, I meant “World/Ethnic music” as distinct music that is for a particular non English speaking country such as Ethnic Indian music, Chinese music, Thai music, South/Central American music, African music etc. I guess for most examples Non English speaking music.

Sorry I could not come up with a better term. But that is the term frequently used to describe that type of music in general so that is why I still used that term.

Quote:
you have to remember that in english speaking countries tend to value other english music...TEND to not always though
That is true in a lot of cases, but there are plenty of cases where that is not true.

I am from an English speaking country(USA), and I like the way French music, Romanian music, Icelandic music, and Indian music sounds like and in those languages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
What about Mexico, Jamaica (Reggae), Puerto Rico (Reggaeton), Colombia and Italy?
USA is by far my favorite followed by the UK.
I don’t know much about Italy’s music scene, but it seems like it would probably be pretty good.
For my music preferences, I don’t like music from Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Columbia. I don't think the music scene for those 4 countries are that great, or even good compared to top 20 countries list.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:08 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,669,026 times
I think the best music scene is that from Brazil. The diversity of music here is amazing. And music is everywhere.

In second I think it's the UK.

In third the USA.

In fourth, Jamaica (because I love reggae )

After the fourth, I can't do a ranking... I like music from many countries!

Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Sweden has a great hardcore punk scene.
Sweden has a great music scene. Other than Hardcore Punk, also for Electronic/Trance, general Rock n’Roll, and some other music genres as well.

This website link below says Sweden has the 3rd highest per capita of musicians/music bands/exported music in the world.
Music of Sweden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia “The Consulate General of Sweden states they are the third biggest exporter of music in the world, after the USA and the United Kingdom per capita."

Sweden has a population of 9.2 million so it has a very high amount of high quality musicians/music groups from there and relative to population size, which is related to the per capita concept.

Do you think Norway and Iceland's music scene is very similar to Sweden? It seems like it is very similar. Norway and Iceland also have great music scenes as well.

Quote:
It would be on mine, but only for electronica (daft punk ,sebastiAn, Cassius etc) or english speaking lyrics by French bands such as Phoenix, Tahiti 80, M83 etc
Electronic/Trance music is awesome. It is just as great as Rock n’Roll.

France seems to have a great electronic/trance scene, Rock n’Roll scene, and other music genres as well. I had a feeling that was true about France’s music scene in general.

I got to look up all of those musicians/music bands you mentioned today.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 01-10-2012 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World