U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Status: "Trump is awesome" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: The West Coast
3,571 posts, read 2,313,447 times
Reputation: 2434

Advertisements

It has to be the U.K. that tops the list. The U.S. is a runner up since the bad music puts a dent in the quality. Canada has to be next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 2,326,841 times
Reputation: 1103
Even the "cool" bands in the us have to go to Europe because of our crappy music scene. Electric Wizard got visas! At leat one cool band will play the US this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 9,060,020 times
Reputation: 4053
UK (majority of my favourite bands are from here)
USA (still great music coming out if you sive through the rubbish!)
Australia (love a few bands from here)
New Zealand (my favourite band "the naked & famous are from here)
Netherlands (love trance music takes me back to my teens! And my 2 favourite dj's Tiesto and Armin van Buuren are Dutch)
Jamaica (gotta love Bob Marley and a bit of reggae!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:14 PM
 
5,762 posts, read 9,501,452 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
UK (majority of my favourite bands are from here)
USA (still great music coming out if you sive through the rubbish!)
Australia (love a few bands from here)
New Zealand (my favourite band "the naked & famous are from here)
Netherlands (love trance music takes me back to my teens! And my 2 favourite dj's Tiesto and Armin van Buuren are Dutch)
Jamaica (gotta love Bob Marley and a bit of reggae!)

I agree with United Kingdom, USA, Netherlands, and Australia.

That is also definitely true that the USA still has plenty of great music coming from there but at the same time there is also a lot of bad music coming from the USA (especially recently), and also plenty of people with good and bad music preferences in the USA. The USA has a very mixed music scene in general. I don't think there is any other country with a mixed music scene as much as the USA.

Superficially, especially for recent years, the USA seems like it has a bad music scene but once someone goes through all of the USA music scene stuff, they definitely will find plenty of great USA musicians/music bands.

It still seems like countries such as United Kingdom, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Netherlands, Canada, Australia, and some other countries have a much higher percentage of people with good music preferences compared to the USA, a lower percentage of bad musicians/music bands coming from those countries, and also a lower percentage of people with bad music preferences. But I guess music preferences can be subjective sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 PM
 
5,762 posts, read 9,501,452 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post

The mainstream stuff here is lame right now. Even so called good bands such as the Black Keys absolutely suck. The USA is churning out rubbish, while the decent stuff is coming from the UK, New Zealand, Australia, France and Sweden.

However, 10 years or more ago it was different. Grunge came from the USA, so did so many other amazing bands. It's really only been the last decade that American mainstream music has fallen into the crapper. Hopefully it will make a comeback, or you'll just keep seeing more god awful bands and artists like Kesha.
I think the USA music scene has a lot of great but also a lot of bad musicians/music bands at the same time.

Despite all of that bad stuff, the USA still has Modest Mouse, Ratatat, Assemblage23, Pinback, Thievery Corporation, Hoobastank, Linkin Park, Yellowcard, The Postal Service, and Death Cab for Cutie.

Most of the Rock n’ Roll and Electronic/Trance from the USA is actually still good.

However, so much of the “Pop”, Hip Hop, Rap, R and B, Country, some other stuff etc. is so bad from the USA.

There is also an eerily high percentage of people in the USA that seem to have bad music preferences for all types of music.


Countries like the United Kingdom, France, Sweden, Netherlands, Norway, Australia etc. have so much less of the bad stuff that gets in the way of their music scenes and don't deal with such a mixed music scene which is what the USA has to deal with lately.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 01-12-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Purgatory
2,663 posts, read 4,070,425 times
Reputation: 3003
The local alternative station here probably only plays American home grown music 10% of the time. Most of the time, they play Gotye, M83, Naked & Famous, Noel Gallagher, Phoenix, Muse, Coldplay, Joy Formidable, Frank Turner...none of which are American. The mainstream US bands they play are crap. The Black Keys are way overrated, Foster The People are dreadfully gay (no offence to gay people) and the only band that's American and good that gets airtime on that station is Modest Mouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:40 PM
 
5,762 posts, read 9,501,452 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I think there is similarities but, I don't know anything about icelandic music and very little about Norway.
Swedish bands always includes Norway on their summer tours, but I don't think there are too many norwegian bands touring Sweden.
We also have a type of dance orchestras that seem to be equally huge in Norway, but it's the same thing there, I don't think there are too many norwegian bands touring Sweden.
I am involved in the local punk scene and we do a lot exchange gigs with finnish bands, but almost nothing with Norway.
Perhaps it is just me lacking knowledge....?
Wow. That is surprising to me if so many Norway musicians/music bands do not tour Sweden but almost all Sweden musicians/music bands still go to Norway.

That is also surprising that most Finland musicians go to Sweden and a higher number than the Norway ones.

Sweden, Norway, and Iceland’s music scenes seem great in general. They definitely make my top 10. Also probably Denmark as well.
I don’t know anything about Finland’s music scene.

That sounds fun to be involved in the local music scene in Sweden.

There are so many aspects to the music scene of a country, so it is hard to know everything about a country’s music scene. Both of us still have a lot of knowledge for the music scene in Sweden, but can’t know everything about it.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 01-12-2012 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Purgatory
2,663 posts, read 4,070,425 times
Reputation: 3003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I agree with United Kingdom, USA, Netherlands, and Australia.

That is also definitely true that the USA still has plenty of great music coming from there but at the same time there is also a lot of bad music coming from the USA (especially recently), and also plenty of people with good and bad music preferences in the USA. The USA has a very mixed music scene in general. I don't think there is any other country with a mixed music scene as much as the USA.

Superficially, especially for recent years, the USA seems like it has a bad music scene but once someone goes through all of the USA music scene stuff, they definitely will find plenty of great USA musicians/music bands.

It still seems like countries such as United Kingdom, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Netherlands, Canada, Australia, and some other countries have a much higher percentage of people with good music preferences compared to the USA, a lower percentage of bad musicians/music bands coming from those countries, and also a lower percentage of people with bad music preferences. But I guess music preferences can be subjective sometimes.
I dunno mate. The UK is certainly churning out some quality now, but we've also churned out a lot of garbage, much of which is so bad that it never left British shores, thank god.

I would say that we have a stronger indie mainstream and a revival of the early 80's Joy Divison sound, spawning many good bands such as White Lies and The Editors.

The whole hipster movement is bigger over here and now you're producing more of the awful pop icons, such as Gaga, Katy Perry and Kesha.

Rock needs to make a revival over here, the same magnitude as the spark that ignited the grunge era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 10:40 PM
 
478 posts, read 937,278 times
Reputation: 480
Hoobastank and Yellowcard is good music? wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 02:38 AM
 
Location: Sweden
21,246 posts, read 62,902,340 times
Reputation: 16862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Wow. That is surprising to me if so many Norway musicians/music bands do not tour Sweden but almost all Sweden musicians/music bands still go to Norway.

That is also surprising that most Finland musicians go to Sweden and a higher number than the Norway ones.

Sweden, Norway, and Icelandís music scenes seem great in general. They definitely make my top 10. Also probably Denmark as well.
I donít know anything about Finlandís music scene.

That sounds fun to be involved in the local music scene in Sweden.

There are so many aspects to the music scene of a country, so it is hard to know everything about a countryís music scene. Both of us still have a lot of knowledge for the music scene in Sweden, but canít know everything about it.
Just don't take my words for the truth, it might actually be lack of knowledge.
But I do know that the norwegian guy with the violin who won the Eurovision Song Contest is popular.
He has at least been a lot on tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top