U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:58 AM

1,800 posts, read 2,810,496 times

Advertisements

Sweden, Norway and Iceland are rife with great bands! Also France, Canada, the USA, Germany and the UK make my top 10, not necessarily in that order.

Two places left, but those are the countries I can think off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 AM

7,972 posts, read 8,870,438 times
Eurovision song contest is never an indicator of good music! Although most countries besides the UK take it seriously, if we took it seriously we would send Adele or something but we send a fat boy band from years ago lol

Old 01-13-2012, 08:44 AM

476 posts, read 918,560 times
Based on the type of music I listen to , and how many artist I have from each country my list would be:

1. UK
2. US
3. Canada
4. Sweden

After that it's a hodgepodge of countries with France in the lead, follow by Denmark, New Zealand, Australia and the Netherlands

I also listen to music form the Caribbean. There's Reggae and it's sub-genres: Roots Reggae, Ska, rock steady, lovers' rock and Dancehall for example.

Then there's Calypso, Soca, Chutney and the defunct genres of Kaiso and Spouge . All these genres are from the English speaking Caribbean.

From the French speaking Caribbean, I'm familiar with/ listen to Compas and Zouk and Zouk-love.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:54 PM

21,977 posts, read 19,531,669 times
United States
United Kingdom
Sweden

These are the three largest PRODUCERS of music worldwide, and they all have produced some memorable, well known and awesome bands (Aerosmith, Beatles and Abba, to name a few)

But I guess music scene is different.. I don't like modern US music, nor do I like modern UK music.. most modern music is awful and generic like Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus.. there are a few saving graces though, Adel seems to be super popular in the US

Old 01-13-2012, 08:32 PM

24,684 posts, read 38,584,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
United States
United Kingdom
Sweden

These are the three largest PRODUCERS of music worldwide, and they all have produced some memorable, well known and awesome bands (Aerosmith, Beatles and Abba, to name a few)

But I guess music scene is different.. I don't like modern US music, nor do I like modern UK music.. most modern music is awful and generic like Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus.. there are a few saving graces though, Adel seems to be super popular in the US
I'm pretty sure Oz is ahead of Sweden. We also have a longer list of famous bands. Let's start with ACDC, probably in the top 3 biggest rock bands ever, as big a hard rock band as anything the US has produced.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,997,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm pretty sure Oz is ahead of Sweden. We also have a longer list of famous bands. Let's start with ACDC, probably in the top 3 biggest rock bands ever, as big a hard rock band as anything the US has produced.
Regarding Sweden, you'd be surprised. Not only are there a plethora of Swedish bands and artists that made it big, but Sweden has also spawned many producers and music video directors. No other country outside of the Anglosphere has replicated this. It would be a tossup at best between Sweden and Australia as to which country has had the most influence on pop charts across the English speaking globe.

AC/DC are technically British too, as is John Farhnam

Old 01-13-2012, 08:41 PM

Would ac/dc not come under uk also? Giving that their lead singer is from Newcastle in England (post 1980 after the death of their 1st lead singer) and the rest were born in Glasgow, Scotland.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Would ac/dc not come under uk also? Giving that their lead singer is from Newcastle in England and the rest were born in Glasgow, Scotland.
That's what I said. AC/DC are predominatly British. Naomi Watts is British too, but she is considered an Australian actress, despite being born in Kent.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:47 PM

Come to think of it, John Farnham was born in Kent too. Kent-Aussies seem to be a particularly successful bunch!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:47 PM

I was quoting Trimac20, just seen your comment there dragonborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World