U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 AM

5,584 posts, read 8,999,655 times

Advertisements

This thread is for discussing which 10 countries you think have the best music scenes in terms of musicians/music bands from there, the quality and types of music concerts/music events that country has, and the general music preferences the people in that country have.

I would like this to be mostly about Rock n’Roll, Electronic/Trance, and “World”/Ethnic music genres. However, it could also be about other music genres.

Other than that, this thread can also be about the general music scenes for different countries (such as the country that you currently live in).

These seem to be the 10 countries with the best music scene:

1. United Kingdom/England/Scotland

2. Sweden

3. Norway

4. France

5. USA: Plenty of great music comes from the USA but also plenty of bad music as well so it brings it down to 5th place. I would say the great music from the USA still upstages the bad music. Also, plenty of people have great music preferences but at the same time it seems like plenty of people also have bad music preferences in the USA.

6. Australia

7. Netherlands

8. Canada

9. Germany

10. Denmark/Iceland tied.

I do not know enough about the music scenes for countries such as China, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, India, Switzerland, Italy, and Spain, etc. But I assume the music scenes must be pretty good for those countries too and still in the top 20, even if they don’t make the top 10.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 01-10-2012 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 AM

24,691 posts, read 37,433,016 times
Well internationally it's pretty easy...although one has to distinguish between quality and quantity.

The US and UK are the undisputed leaders.

After that either Canada or Australia.

No other country really makes a dent in the international pop charts. The biggest domestic markets seem to be:

France

Japan

Germany

I'm sure Sweden has a healthy scene for it's size, and is the most internationally successful European nation. Korea seems pretty successful domestically and in Asia. Asia seems to be a separate 'mainstream market', and Korean and Japanese pop music is popular in countries where that language is not spoken. I suppose people appreciate the melodies. Mandarin and Cantonese to a lesser extent.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 AM

18,590 posts, read 15,884,481 times
Norway and Sweden!? But Brazil, which is probably the only country which can match the US in terms of music, is missing on your list...

Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 AM

14,928 posts, read 30,950,332 times
I guess it depends what you're into.

Brazil is pretty mind-blowing in just number of completely different genres of music out there. Plus, they have all the same genres that you'd find in the States. I'd say Brazil is pretty close behind the USA for music.

I don't see Canada or Australia being music places....they just have genres of music that pretty much cater to the exact kinds of music that already exist in the U.S. You'll get a Tragically Hip or a Bryan Adams, but they're just another band, not really revolutioning music as we know it.

Outside of Brazil, I'd say Africa must have some damn interesting stuff. Too bad it didn't have venues to get that stuff out there and heard.

Outside of those areas, Japan is quite interesting. Granted, J-Pop is what they excel at, but what's interesting about Japan is all the stuff that worldwide known artists create here, that you can only get in Japan.

The UK is high up there though, for just having great bands that truly revolutionize.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 AM

5,584 posts, read 8,999,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well internationally it's pretty easy...although one has to distinguish between quality and quantity.

The US and UK are the undisputed leaders.

After that either Canada or Australia.

No other country really makes a dent in the international pop charts. The biggest domestic markets seem to be:

France

Japan

Germany

I'm sure Sweden has a healthy scene for it's size, and is the most internationally successful European nation. Korea seems pretty successful domestically and in Asia. Asia seems to be a separate 'mainstream market', and Korean and Japanese pop music is popular in countries where that language is not spoken. I suppose people appreciate the melodies. Mandarin and Cantonese to a lesser extent.
I agree that one has to distinguish between Quality and Quantity. I also agree with the countries you mentioned having great music scenes, even if I would order them a bit differently for the Top 10 in some cases.

That also seems true with that aspect for the music scene in plenty of Asian countries.

This thread is about many different music genres in general. Not only what makes the International music charts, and “Pop music.”etc.

Also, other than talking about the top 10 countries with the best music scene based on all the factors I described, it is also for talking about the general music scenes for many different countries and where someone can talk about the music scene for the country they currently live in.

The main factors that is related to Music Scene: Musicians/Music bands from there, Quality and Types of Music Concerts/Music Events in the Country, and General Music Preferences the People in the Country have.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:31 AM

2,985 posts, read 3,787,276 times
I am not an audiophile, but this is my list:
US
Brazil
UK
then, maybe Japan, and now I am struggling a bit, maybe Mexico? Canada?
then everywhere else...

Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 AM

24,691 posts, read 37,433,016 times
I really have no idea about the 'scene' in countries other than Australia, and to an extent the US, UK, Canada - the English speaking world. I'd like to get into foreign music more though as I know there's alot of gems from there.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,593,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Norway and Sweden!? But Brazil, which is probably the only country which can match the US in terms of music, is missing on your list...
you have to remember that in english speaking countries tend to value other english music...TEND to not always though

Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 AM

475 posts, read 896,206 times
I hate the term world music. The term is so euro centric. How can you take hundreds of genres of music and group them like they're all the same?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:17 AM

18,590 posts, read 15,884,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
you have to remember that in english speaking countries tend to value other english music...TEND to not always though
Well, France is on their list, a country where people are pretty fierce about French lyrics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World