Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:42 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times

Advertisements

Here most bigger supermarkets have health food sections, no need for a dedicated chain. There are independent health food stores, too, but they tend to be pricey, not everyone can afford to buy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
One bright star in the sky is the OXXO chain of convenience stores in Mexico. There are now nearly 10,000 of them, and they are Mexican-owned, which is a lot better than still another American company capitalizing on the Mexican market.

OXXO is 53% owned by FEMSA, the Mexican company that has the Coca Cola bottling rights, and another 30% owned by Coca Cola itself. FEMSA is a reorganized company that also owns the Cuauhtemoc Brewing Company.

Coupled with the absence of any American brand gas stations, it makes Mexico a refreshingly unamerican place to travel.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:45 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I would say Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s supermarket chains.
I don’t think Trader Joe’s has even one place outside of the USA so far.
Whole Foods has a few locations in London United Kingdom, and also a few locations in Vancouver Canada, but still. Whole Foods is entirely only in the USA outside of those 2 exceptions.

However, I am sure plenty of countries have awesome supermarket chains and independent supermarkets to the point where maybe those countries don’t need Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods.

Mcdonalds, KFC, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks etc. is such a huge disgrace to the awesome food/drinking scene that actually exists in the USA and is very misleading to what the USA food and drinking scene is like in reality. It is also a huge disgrace to put those chains in countries that have awesome unique food/drinking scenes and don’t need to have those chains.

Plenty of Americans, including plenty of patriotic Americans, would never eat the foods in those chains(or the coffee at Starbucks) and don’t see why those things would be “so American.” They are just some random chains that came from this random country in particular.

I want to see an abolishment of Mcdonalds, KFC, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, and Starbucks for all places in the world.
there are 3 locations in the greater Toronto area for Whole foods

Old 01-14-2012, 04:01 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Rumour has it that Kohl's is coming.

I think that Canada wins the award for that .
I hate Kohls

Old 01-14-2012, 04:19 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The closest I ever came to eating at a McDonalds outside North America was in Taiwan. In the mountains, we met an American nun, whose nephew was there visiting, and she had the "company car", and offered to drive us down to south Taiwan. Along the way, they stopped at McDonalds, explaining that her nephew wanted to eat at a McD while he was there, and this would be their only chance. My wife and I excused ourselves and went across the street and ate Chinese at the outdoor market while our hosts enjoyed their Big Macs, and then we met up after lunch and continued the lovely trip.
I've eaten McDonalds in numerous countries and it all tastes pretty much the same. I only eat it when I have a craving for something familiar after days or weeks of eating local food (which is of course great, but you know how sometimes you need a break).

Old 01-14-2012, 04:33 PM

484 posts, read 1,285,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
I hate Kohls
I'm not a fan of Kohl's either, it's one of the most overrated stores next to Target.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
I like McDonald'ds, of course not frequently but it's nice every now and again especially if when you're working!

Old 01-14-2012, 07:13 PM

235 posts, read 837,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
The question of the OP is ludicrous since it is generally the US that is lacking in variety and quality in terms of missing out on good things.
I am straying off topic here a bit, but I notice you're in France... I wish we had a Printemps shopping centre in Canada! How large does Toronto need to be before we can have one?

I wish there were more European brands and store chains available here, but you have to track them down. The American chains can take advantage of their size to keep prices low, so they are popular and spread everywhere as Walmart is doing.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:13 AM

340 posts, read 27,862 times
I miss Kohl's, Target, Pier1 Imports, Cheesecake Factory, Applebees, Longhorn and Outback Steakhouse, Jersey Garden's, Dunkin Donuts (we just have a few here and i miss my sesame bagel with cream cheese )

Old 01-15-2012, 02:07 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Arby's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World