Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is America the best country in the world?
Yes it is; I'm an American 14 21.54%
No it's not; I'm an American 18 27.69%
Yes it is; I'm not an American 4 6.15%
No it's not; I'm not an American 22 33.85%
. 7 10.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:52 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In Latin America Uruguay is probably the freest country of them all.
why? how is uruguay more free than argentina on chile?
Hey, gays cant even get married in Uruguay...

Old 01-14-2012, 12:55 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
I think our best days are still ahead of us...we've hit a rough patch getting involved in Afgan and Iraq but never underestimate the U.S.A.!!When Mexico has to build a fence to keep us out...then I'll start to worry!!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:55 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Since someone mentioned size and scenery, of course huge countries offer a lot, China, the US, Brazil etc.
But even smaller countries such as Spain offer pretty much everything one could ask for, snowy alpine mountains, canyons, deserts, subtropical landscapes, Spain is basically a condensed version of the US Sure, it is a lot smaller, but then again, the mere size is not really necessary in everyday life, only few people have weeks and months of spare time to explore the entire Grand Canyon. Plus, in Spain there are not so many vast boring regions in between the spectacular ones.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
why? how is uruguay more free than argentina on chile?
Hey, gays cant even get married in Uruguay...
Well, that's my opinion, you don't have to believe it. I know there is intense rivalry between Uruguay and Argentina, not only regarding Tango...

Old 01-14-2012, 12:59 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Not true, Uruguay and Argentina are best friends. Rivalry is only on their side, cause they are a tiny country and Argentina is a huge one .

Im just asking, cause even reading those links, i still dont understand how this Personal freedom rankings work or what are they based on exactly.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
There are so many different positive factors for what a country can be “the best country” for something.

Also, it is best to not be too competitive in viewing those positive factors in that way. Instead of viewing it as ”the one best place,” and only finding one place to win the competition, it seems better to view it “The best 10 to 25 different places” so plenty of places can get the recognition they deserve.

The USA is one of the best countries for plenty of different things, but there are also 10 to 20 other countries that can also be regarded as the top 10 to 20 best for those certain factors too.

Also, for plenty of other factors, the USA is not one of the best countries for those things.

The USA is a great country that I like. I don’t view it in a competitive way and don’t obsess about something like that.

Also, there are 20 to 30 other countries that I think are also great countries too that I like as well.

I think positive and negative things can be found for any country in general.

Last edited by ; 01-14-2012 at 01:19 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 01:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
what do u exactly mean as personal freedom and why was USA considered to have more personal freedom that European countries?
Well, my definition is the ability to live your life in peace without being molested by government agencies.

I believe that a person should be free to do whatever they wish so long as it does not interfere with the freedom of others to live their lives unmolested as well.

The United States has gotten so full of laws and rules and regulations that it is virtually impossible to live free unless perhaps you are in Alaska or some other place that is relatively inaccessible. Or, if you can remain under the "radar", so to speak. Live your life without dealing with the government, which of course, is becoming almost impossible.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-14-2012, 01:14 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Overall, I would define best as quality of life, and I would say Japan is the best. However, I'm not a Japanese citizen so it would be hard to live there.

What I do like about the U.S. is the variety, as others mentioned. Each state could be like its own country (sometimes I wish they actually are). I really love certain regions and states, and really can't stand others (like the Northeast). What I don't like about the States overall is extreme polarization of politics and social/economic problems. I also don't think its a truly free country, as others mentioned there are too many things that are illegal in the U.S. that are legal in other countries. In Japan I could walk down the street with a beer in my hand. I'm also concerned that the U.S. is heading toward a 1984/Big Brother type of society (one which I could get arrested just for posting this), which is why I think deconsolidation of the states as I mentioned is a good idea, as history has proven smaller independent nations are better off than a larger union run by a big government (Soviet Union was a perfect example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Well, my cousins live in Kulsheim which is near Stuttgart/Wurzberg/Frankfurt. It's a small town much like our small towns people are apprehensive of the big cities around it.

I don't think their large cities like Frankfurt are any worse than ours, they have their bad parts you avoid. They used to tell me stories of some smaller towns you want to avoid as well.

Germany is beautiful and very little crime but I feel just as safe in America.
You must have never been to Detroit, lol.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, my definition is the ability to live your life in peace without being molested by government agencies.

I believe that a person should be free to do whatever they wish so long as it does not interfere with the freedom of others to live their lives unmolested as well.

The United States has gotten so full of laws and rules and regulations that it is virtually impossible to live free unless perhaps you are in Alaska or some other place that is relatively inaccessible. Or, if you can remain under the "radar", so to speak. Live your life without dealing with the government, which of course, is becoming almost impossible.

20yrsinBranson
I don't think humans are even made to live that free, we are made to live in complex societies, which by nature are full of rules and laws and compromises.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
oh, ok, so since in USA guns are legal that means they are more free than any country in the world?

I feel like im totally free in Argentina, dont see how i could be more free. Oh, yeah, guns are ilegal, but im actually ok with that and i preffer that to a country when you can have a gun in your house.

Hey, here even gays can get married, isnt that a personal freedom aspect?
What kind of guns are illegal? I hope you are just referring to hand guns. Otherwise, how could you hunt for your own food if you were starving? You would have to turn to the government for a handout. Then you would not be free.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World