Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:24 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times

Advertisements

Surprised by Japan, I'd have thought villages were almost nonexistent there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 10:47 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,182,938 times
The U.S. is fast-paced? Must be referring to New York City.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The U.S. is fast-paced? Must be referring to New York City.
as an overall culture/ society, it sure is the fastest-paced in this part of the world

Old 01-23-2012, 01:40 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
We think of Jamaica or the Bahamas are idyllic holiday isles with palm-fringed beaches where the people lie around in hammocks sipping coconut juice with those little umbrellas stick out of them. The reality is most Jamaicans work like everywhere else.
Well, in fact many people in Britain think of Spain as an idyllic holiday resort with palm-fringed beaches where the people lie around in hammocks sipping coconut juice with those little umbrellas stick out of them.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Generally, which country in each continent do you consider the fastest paced? How about slowest paced?

Of course big cities in general are fastest paced, and places in colder climates tend to be faster than warmer regions... but this is about the overall pace of a country & society/ national culture as a whole

N America:
Fastest: US
Slowest: somewhere in Caribbean

Europe:
Fastest: Italy or Greece
Slowest: Spain or Portugal

Asia:
Fastest: Hong Kong or Japan
Slowest: Malaysia

Africa? South America?
for Europe you chose Italy or Greece?..I would say England for fastest.
for Africa I would say South Africa or Egypt for fast pace..probably South Africa and everywhere else for slowest.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:30 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Well, in fact many people in Britain think of Spain as an idyllic holiday resort with palm-fringed beaches where the people lie around in hammocks sipping coconut juice with those little umbrellas stick out of them.
People in Britain don't think of Spain as being like that at all - they just think 'sun, beaches, booze!', which is why I hate the place, too touristy.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, the Kalahari etc. is like an open-air museum, most Africans hate that kind of life and have abandoned it already, if they ever lead it in the first place. Most have never been hunter-gatherers, but farmers. The average African probably hunts less than the average American. Nor is there any reason to tell the few remaining hunter-gatherers to maintain that way of life, just because we like to think of Africa as a primitive museum continent.

Here is a map of the percentage of the urban population (source UN and Wiki, so I hope it is ok to publish here):

As you can see in most countries that have large populations such as West African countries the majority already live in cities, and I bet the colors are even more purple today, just five years after that map was made. Rural life as such doesn't mean it is more primitive or in any way related to hunting-gathering. Americans in rural Kansas or Germany are hardly hunter-gatherers
Originally we were all hunter gatherers. Just moreso in Africa until recently. I think if more had continued that way of life instead of farming there wouldn't be as much infertility, desertification and famine as there is now.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:50 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Originally we were all hunter gatherers. Just moreso in Africa until recently. I think if more had continued that way of life instead of farming there wouldn't be as much infertility, desertification and famine as there is now.
Fair, enough, Trimac. Here's you bow and arrows. Happy hunting!

Old 01-23-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Fair, enough, Trimac. Here's you bow and arrows. Happy hunting!
Do you look down on them as primitive savages? In some ways they have it much better than us.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Surprised by Japan, I'd have thought villages were almost nonexistent there
Far from it. Japan has a lot of old, and still retains a lot of traditions beside the modern way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World