U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,452,145 times

Advertisements

I like where this thread is going. It only took three posts for it to be derailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 09:38 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,722,762 times
Correction it only took one!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Venezuela, Somalia).

However 4 out of 10 of those countries don’t have those experiences with the USA (Israel, Turkmenistan, Congo, Zimbabwe).
Three of those four have a substantial US element in their recent history. Israel, of course, is flourishing only because of its history of US support, which cannot possibly be sustained indefinitely, resulting in a negative future relative to present conditions. Zimbabwe, when it was Rhodesia, was under vigorous economic attack by the US, which, for over a decade, actually criminalized even the most trivial transactions with Rhodesia, which had a near-fatal effect on the country's economic prospects as it prepared for black-rule, obstructing any chance that it would get off to a good start in post-colonial Africa. And the formal US endorsement and support for the brutal and murderous Mobutu regime in Zaire, which was so widespread and pervasive that it would have taken decades of aid to neutralize it, and there was no aid. Mobotu, with US support, put most of Zaire's wealth in his personal Swiss bank account for 32 years, and used US military aid to murder and torture anyone who objected. Few prospects remained upon which to build a future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Some comments are baffling on this site but this takes some beating. Britain up there with Haiti and Iraq, are you seriously saying that the UK's future is more bleak than countries where people are dying of hunger? .
No, it doesn't imply that at all. This is not a list of what will become the ten worst basket cases on the planet, but the ten who are most likely to decline, compared to their development level today.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-27-2012 at 09:55 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 09:49 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,722,762 times
Well I think most people can name a few more countries that will see a worse decline than the UK. Italy, Ireland, Greece, Spain, Portugal etc in Europe alone never mind the rest of the world.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:06 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I would put Canada and Australia together for future projected growth outlooks:

7. Australia & Canada (Tied): It seems like it is in good shape with steady economic growth, growing cities. Not really any negative stuff getting in the way it seems like.
I agree that Canada seems to have a similar future as Australia for basically the same reasons.

I am not sure why I forgot Canada for the list.When I wrote the list, I guess I categorized Canada with USA. But after about one hour later, I realized Canada has a much more similar future to Australia instead of the USA. It was too late to edit that post at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Countries on the upswing:

China, Brazil, India

Countries on the downswing:

Britain, Iraq, Haiti
That is true that China, India, and Brazil seem to be on the upswing and have positive futures and most increased improvement.

But is crime getting better in areas of Brazil? I read recently that crime is actually getting worse in places like Rio de Janeiro which is a negative thing for a country’s future. A country like South Africa is being held back quite a lot because of its crime problems.It seems like a similar situation with Brazil.

I agree that Iraq, and Haiti do have negative futures and worthy of the top 10 for most negative future.

For Britain/United Kingdom, it seems like some things is going downhill lately in its future. However, it still would not make the top 10 countries for most negative future, and UK is in a completely different type of category for negative future compared to countries like Haiti because Britain/UK is infinitely better than a place like Haiti.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 01-27-2012 at 11:16 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Three of those four have a substantial US element in their recent history. Israel, of course, is flourishing only because of its history of US support, which cannot possibly be sustained indefinitely, resulting in a negative future relative to present conditions. Zimbabwe, when it was Rhodesia, was under vigorous economic attack by the US, which, for over a decade, actually criminalized even the most trivial transactions with Rhodesia, which had a near-fatal effect on the country's economic prospects as it prepared for black-rule, obstructing any chance that it would get off to a good start in post-colonial Africa. And the formal US endorsement and support for the brutal and murderous Mobutu regime in Zaire, which was so widespread and pervasive that it would have taken decades of aid to neutralize it, and there was no aid. Mobotu, with US support, put most of Zaire's wealth in his personal Swiss bank account for 32 years, and used US military aid to murder and torture anyone who objected. Few prospects remained upon which to build a future.

It doesn't imply that at all. This is not a list of what will become the ten worst basket cases on the planet, but the ten who are most likely to decline, compared to their development level today.
Well, I know USA has those connections for Israel. But that is positive connections for Israel instead of negative connections and Israel still seems to not have a good future despite positive relations with the USA.

I did not know USA has those connections with Zimbabwe and Congo. I still think it is much more Zimbabwe and Congo’s fault for their horrible state and not really the USA’s fault.

Yes, good point. That is what I meant for the thread. However, if a country is already in a very bad state it can still make the list because it still can get much worse with all of that bad stuff going on.

Also, for the positive countries list, it is mostly about further improvement compared to the way it is now. But if the country is currently in a very positive state already, than it still can make the most positive future list too.

Also, this thread can also be about the general future for any country but that aspect should be separated from the other stuff being talked about such as in a separate post.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Well I think most people can name a few more countries that will see a worse decline than the UK. Italy, Ireland, Greece, Spain, Portugal etc in Europe alone never mind the rest of the world.
I do agree countries like Ireland, Greece, Spain, Italy, and Portugal do have more negative signs for its future than UK/England and more signs of decline.

UK/England seems to be in a similar category as USA and France such as plenty of great stuff about those countries currently and some of the greatest countries in the world but still technically in a bit of decline for its future, some negative aspects in the future, and technically a downswing. Even with a slight decline, these 3 countries (USA, UK, France) will still have plenty of the positive stuff they do now.

There are still plenty of European countries with great futures such as Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Austria, Romania, Bulgaria, Finland, Croatia, Czech Republic etc.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:54 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post

I agree that Iraq, and Haiti do have negative futures and worthy of the top 10 for most negative future.

Isn't it wonderful that Iraq is being blown off as a hopeless basket case for its foreseeable future. Before the Gulf war, the country was doing very well economically, moving well along towards industrialization, with functioning infrastructure and an egalitarian society with high standards of education and health and a virtual elimination of rural poverty.

And now look what we have done to it.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:58 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,194,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Isn't it wonderful that Iraq is being blown off as a hopeless basket case for its foreseeable future. Before the Gulf war, the country was doing very well economically, moving well along towards industrialization, with functioning infrastructure and an egalitarian society with high standards of education and health and a virtual elimination of rural poverty.

And now look what we have done to it.

Yeah, their leader executed over 250,000 innocent people, tried to invade an ally of ours and broke a treaty agreement with us. USA is so terrible, Iraq is such a nice place and Sadaam Hussein was such a nice guy Jtur, honestly your ideas are just comical.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 AM

371 posts, read 811,065 times
I miss Poland as being listed as one of the countries with the most positive future...

- Economically:

We've had constant economic growth since 1991, the unemployment rate nowadays is below the EU average, and places like Szczecin have in recent years seen Germans going there to find jobs, and Polish buying cheap properties across the German border...
Our GDP per capita quadrupled over the last 20 years, and is expected to do so for the forseeable future. Our HDI is expected by the UN to surpass that of Sweden sometime between 2020 and 2025, and that of Germany sometime shortly after 2030.
We have already passed the Netherlands as the sixth-largest economy in the EU three years ago.
Also, Polish law is rather favourable to foreign investment, although there's still plenty of room for improvement in the bureaucracy department. Our GINI is relatively low, on par with countries like the Netherlands and Scandinavia, which basically means we have a very large (although, for EU standards, relatively poor) middle class.

- Politically:

We've been one of the more stable countries within the EU over the last 5 years, and the current government actually got re-elected last October. Our constitution actually bans large foreign debts (over 60%), providing for automatic austerity measures in case this happens anyways. The current government has emphasized upgrading our infrastructure, which was in desperate need for exactly that after decades of near-neglect. Over 500 miles (800 kilometres) of new freeways were built in 2011, another 600-700 miles (1000 kilometres) will be built in 2012. After 2012, this will be scaled down to around 200 miles (300 kilometres) per year, and the emphasis will be shifted more towards the rail infrastructure.

- Natural resouces:

Recently the second largest natural (shale) gas reserves in the world have been surveyed. This is enough to power Poland for half a millennium with the current use, or the whole of the EU for three decades.

My guess is, if we manage to keep populism out of government, keep on upgrading our infrastructure to German standards (this will take at least another decade, though) and get rid of all unnecessary bureaucracy, Poland could be well on it's way to become a key player in the EU, both politically as well as economically, within the next decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or