U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 07:07 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,159,772 times

Advertisements

Plenty of Americans think the same about America. The 'best' anything is as matter of opinion anyway, there's no objective 'best country.' Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But to say that Brazil is objectively better is kind of arrogant, lol. Brazil is one of my top 5 nations, probably, but that's just my preference.

Brazilians I've met are great people. Very proud of their country but I wonder how many have the slightly arrogant patriotism of malaman? lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,389,978 times
Well, I'd rather have arrogant patriotism then the self-loathing of Brits.

Brazilians think they are the greatest, we think we are the worst - I wonder which attitude is better for your mental health

Old 01-29-2012, 07:36 PM

2,545 posts, read 4,443,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Plenty of Americans think the same about America. The 'best' anything is as matter of opinion anyway, there's no objective 'best country.' Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But to say that Brazil is objectively better is kind of arrogant, lol. Brazil is one of my top 5 nations, probably, but that's just my preference.

Brazilians I've met are great people. Very proud of their country but I wonder how many have the slightly arrogant patriotism of malaman? lol

I have NEVER said that Brazil is objectively better. I have ALWAYS said that it's my SUBJECTIVE opinion.

There is no "objective" way to determine "the best country in the world". It's a subjective choice.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,159,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I have NEVER said that Brazil is objectively better. I have ALWAYS said that it's my SUBJECTIVE opinion.

There is no "objective" way to determine "the best country in the world". It's a subjective choice.
Yes, that's totally cool...Man I'd love to go to Brazil, the beaches, Amazon, the people, samba...

Old 01-29-2012, 11:31 PM

11 posts, read 95,749 times
Argentina is a country I've always thought had a ton of potential.

It's decently large and has a lot in place already to one day be a very prosperous nation. A long time ago (late 1800's) they were one of the wealthiest nations on earth.

The thing that Argentina suffers from is high income inequality and always seems to have issues with bad inflation. In 2011 the country had over 20% inflation, but the government said it was only 10%. I hope Cristina Kirchner really does a lot a great things for Argentina.

Buenos Aires is a gorgeous city and is already an international destination. It's a bit dirty though. I'm in love with Argentina and hope that one day they can straighten their economic situation out to become a completely developed nation.

Last edited by Chicago_Guy312; 01-29-2012 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 AM

565 posts, read 785,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

Brazilians think they are the greatest, we think we are the worst - I wonder which attitude is better for your mental health
I agree, it bugs me when Brits hate on their country more than anyone else does. You have a lot to be proud of! Although that seems to be a trend in western European nations in general, I am assuming because of political correctness.

I do have to say, Brazil beats you in weather though.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:14 PM

9,587 posts, read 20,468,292 times
Places without good farmland and water are looking at Armageddon by century's end. Food exporting nations like the USA are going to use more and more of that food domestically for bio fuel.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:33 PM

15,671 posts, read 18,223,008 times
Quote:
No one's mentioned the most obvious one that appears to be on the downswing, the good old US of A. It seems like a quasi second world nation with huge debt problems and a political system that is losing credibility.
I'd say the U.S. is showing signs of slowed growth for the near future, but I wouldn't characterize it as a downswing. And it's certainly not a permanent decline.

The U.S. will remain a top country for a long time to come. (How much bigger can an economy get anyway?)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-31-2012 at 01:58 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 AM

196 posts, read 344,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

I don't think Brazil is the "greatest"...In fact, Brazil has a lot to reduce poverty

Quote:
Yes, that's totally cool...Man I'd love to go to Brazil, the beaches, Amazon, the people, samba...
And here's something that will surprise you...I think that is very reasonable to say that, at least 70, maybe 80% ( or maybe more) of Brazilian population simply does not like carnival...

Old 02-12-2012, 03:25 PM

47 posts, read 52,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
I miss Poland as being listed as one of the countries with the most positive future...

- Economically:

We've had constant economic growth since 1991, the unemployment rate nowadays is below the EU average, and places like Szczecin have in recent years seen Germans going there to find jobs, and Polish buying cheap properties across the German border...
Our GDP per capita quadrupled over the last 20 years, and is expected to do so for the forseeable future. Our HDI is expected by the UN to surpass that of Sweden sometime between 2020 and 2025, and that of Germany sometime shortly after 2030.
We have already passed the Netherlands as the sixth-largest economy in the EU three years ago.
Also, Polish law is rather favourable to foreign investment, although there's still plenty of room for improvement in the bureaucracy department. Our GINI is relatively low, on par with countries like the Netherlands and Scandinavia, which basically means we have a very large (although, for EU standards, relatively poor) middle class.

- Politically:

We've been one of the more stable countries within the EU over the last 5 years, and the current government actually got re-elected last October. Our constitution actually bans large foreign debts (over 60%), providing for automatic austerity measures in case this happens anyways. The current government has emphasized upgrading our infrastructure, which was in desperate need for exactly that after decades of near-neglect. Over 500 miles (800 kilometres) of new freeways were built in 2011, another 600-700 miles (1000 kilometres) will be built in 2012. After 2012, this will be scaled down to around 200 miles (300 kilometres) per year, and the emphasis will be shifted more towards the rail infrastructure.

- Natural resouces:

Recently the second largest natural (shale) gas reserves in the world have been surveyed. This is enough to power Poland for half a millennium with the current use, or the whole of the EU for three decades.

My guess is, if we manage to keep populism out of government, keep on upgrading our infrastructure to German standards (this will take at least another decade, though) and get rid of all unnecessary bureaucracy, Poland could be well on it's way to become a key player in the EU, both politically as well as economically, within the next decade.
Wow, Tuskowe lemingi są wszędzie O_o
We haven't public debs below 60% (we have 59,98%) only because Mgr.Rostowski decided to reorganize definition of public debs. Then - Heritage Foundation placed Poland far,far away from African Countries on the list of economic freedom. Then Szczecin will be dead because of Nord Stream. Then many parties of Poland (especially west Pomerania and Ciemnogród) exported their youth to other countries. Then, government was reelected, but 50% of people with right to vote don't voted. Then this great builds was canceled.
Polish have future, but not with that establishment in that European Union. Good night. I have to go to my job tomorrow, to earn for emigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or