U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,997,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
In Britain, bad areas don't have to be inner cities. You generally find older or terraced housing the closer to the city or town centre you are, perhaps populated by immigrant groups, but not necessarily bad. You also find council estates in the suburbs, where crime can be more widespread than the city centre. In the US, generally you find that some downtowns are gentrified, but there's usually at least one well known inner city ghetto, whereas the suburbs are more sprawling and predominatly middle or upper class.
Yeah, I don't know how prevalent crimes would be in public housing areas in American suburbs compared to Britain (it might be that there's less public housing in the US overall), but the fact that I almost always hear urban/inner city as pretty much a synonym for "bad spot, place to avoid" is very telling.

I wonder if "inner city" even does have any negative connotations that come to mind when you say it to many urban citizens living in countries other than the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 06:46 PM

2,667 posts, read 2,453,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Yeah, I don't know how prevalent crimes would be in public housing areas in American suburbs compared to Britain (it might be that there's less public housing in the US overall), but the fact that I almost always hear urban/inner city as pretty much a synonym for "bad spot, place to avoid" is very telling.

I wonder if "inner city" even does have any negative connotations that come to mind when you say it to many urban citizens living in countries other than the US.
A lot of the public housing in Britain was sold off from the Thatcher years onwards. A lot of homes on council estates are now privately owned. I definitely agree that the suburbs of America are much safer places do the most part simply due to the segregation of rich, middle class and poor.

I believe that the difference is due to the fact that the US prospered heavily in the 50's while much of Europe was still recovering from a world war waged on its own soil. American suburbs were built around the car, so the wealthy and middle class moved out into the suburbs to live the American dream, while the inner cities became increasingly poorer and run down, partly due to put of town shopping becoming popular and many downtowns became ghost towns.

The same really didn't occur in Britain. In the 50's and 60's, a lot of social housing was constructed, including single family homes and blocks of flats. These were often built further out of town than in the inner cities, where the cost of land was at a higher premium. Over the years, council estates became increasingly "rough" in many places and as British cities tend to be more crowded, it was easier for crime and general antisocial behaviour to spread to many other parts of town.

Britain does have rough inner city areas, but it's not the same as the US. Many immigrant groups populate inner city areas, particularly Indians and Pakistanis who own homes and operate businesses. Many of Britain's inner city areas have CCTV monitoring and generally have more street life than American counterparts. Some inner city areas are highly sought after for people who want to live within walking distance from work.

I hope that all made some sort of sense. Feel free to disagree or offer your own opinions...as these are just my opinions, not necessarily facts. It's just interesting to me how differently British and American cities evolved...and of course there are exceptions that turn all of the above upside down:

Boston Massachusetts
Milton Keynes UK

Old 02-09-2012, 11:33 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,879,729 times
Paris has ''poor ghettos'' in the suburbs and not in the inner city so that is a good example, here in Dundee where I live (and in London to I have noticed) the poor areas and rich areas are basically intertwined.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:57 PM

151 posts, read 187,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Well its a per head of populaiton measure, Karachi has the worlds second largest city (not metro) population at around 13 Million people.To get a murder rate of 30.51 per hundred thousand people and appear at number 50 of the list, their would need to be over 4000 murders in the city per year.

Still im quite sure a lot of third world countries a not quite as good at keeping their records in order as other places.
thanks, good post. i didn't think about it like that.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 AM

839 posts, read 476,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

21 New Orleans United States 199 343.829 57.88

30 Detroit United States 346 713.777 48.47

43 ST. Louis United States 113 319.294 35.39

48 Baltimore United States 195 620.961 31.40

I wonder if anyone here believes that innocent hard-working people are being "killed like flies" in the streets of New Orleans, Detroit, St. Louis or Baltimore...

Innocent people are killed...
12-Year-Old Detroit Girl Killed In Tragic Shooting

Are you going to tell me that this 12 year old girl was a career criminal?

Or the 4 year old that was shot in one of Boston's ghettos.
http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/l...rchester-park/

Or the 17 year old girl that was shot while sitting on her porch in Newark, Nj
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._shot_dea.html

Old 02-10-2012, 12:05 AM

151 posts, read 187,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Innocent people are killed...
12-Year-Old Detroit Girl Killed In Tragic Shooting

Are you going to tell me that this 12 year old girl was a career criminal?
people that think like that are just part of the problem. i'm sure they have some kind of caste system down in Brazil where poor people aren't even considered fully human. it's sad, really.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,598,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post

Pretty much the opposite in Australia, their are many exceptions of course, but as general rule of thumb the closer you get to the downtown, the richer and better the suburbs become.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-10-2012 at 12:42 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 01:49 AM

11,410 posts, read 10,203,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
And what about if you LIVE here, and keep your head out of bad areas? Won't you be alright?

Since the bad areas are small and very localized, there is no reason for anyone who lives in Brazil to go there. Unless you are involved in some illegal activity...
This is true of almost anywhere, the difference is the extent. Brazil having a poor showing relative to other nations isn't so unlikely. It is a very large and populous country with a fair degree of inequality. It should be expected that the stats, even if they are mostly among those involved with criminal activities, reflect that.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 AM

716 posts, read 670,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
New York is really safe considering its immense size - New Orleans is a sorry excuse of a city IMO by the looks of things
Really? What do you base that opinion from dear boy?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 AM

716 posts, read 670,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
No, all those cities have certain extremely bad, low income areas with drug-related violence.

Those areas are almost completely black as well. Other than that, they're very safe (and well worth visiting).
Being from one of those cities I agree with the drug violence statement but please do substantiate the other claim as to it being very dangerous due to the color of the populations. I know the N.O. is largely Afro-American but please elaborate if you will.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World