Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times

Advertisements

Also. as an avid Rio visitor, I can tell you that there is significant drug related murders there yet it did not show up very highly on the list it seems.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
people that think like that are just part of the problem. i'm sure they have some kind of caste system down in Brazil where poor people aren't even considered fully human. it's sad, really.

No, we don't have any "caste system" here in Brazil.

So, you equate "poor people" to "criminal people"?

Poor people are fully human, VERY human.

Criminal people are not fully human, and deserve to die like cattle.

Do you know who "feels sorry" for the dead criminals in Brazil? The middle class. People from middle class who don't understand anything about the real life in the poor peripheric neighborhoods.

And do you know who DON'T feel sorry for the dead criminals, and actually celebrate when a criminal dies? THE POOR. Because the poor know the reality, and know the SCUMBAG that their criminal neighbors are.

When I was a middle class young boy with no knowledge of the reality of the poor peripheric neighborhoods, I used to feel sorry for the dead criminals, the "victims of the system". When I grew up a little more, and started to go to poor peripheric neighborhoods, and started to make friends in those poor peripheric neighborhoods, and started to know how is the real life there, I realized how the MAJORITY of people there feels VERY HAPPY when a criminal dies, and I stoped to feel sorry for those criminals, that are just a scumbag.

No criminal is a "victim of the system". More than 97% of the poor people in Brazil are honest hard working people, and don't choose the criminal life. They work very hard to survive without resorting to crime. And they DESPISE those who choose the criminal life, because the criminals don't respect anyone. It's a BIG LIE to say that the criminals are "Robin Hoods" who "take from the rich". They don't respect anyone.

So, stop feeling sorry for the dead criminals in Brazil, sitting on your confortable chair in the "First World", without knowing the reality of the poor peripheric neighborhoods of the Brazilian cities, where hard working people CELEBRATE each criminal that is found dead in a dark alley.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:01 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Being from one of those cities I agree with the drug violence statement but please do substantiate the other claim as to it being very dangerous due to the color of the populations. I know the N.O. is largely Afro-American but please elaborate if you will.......
I meant that due to some unfortunate realities of history, such as centuries of slavery, racism and ongoing cycles of poverty and lack of resources, a certain segment of the black population in the U.S. does resort to extremely violent criminal activity. It is very hard to break out of it. And of course this does not apply to the vast majority of blacks, who are completely law-abiding. Nevertheless, it is very visible in cities all across America.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I meant that due to some unfortunate realities of history, such as centuries of slavery, racism and ongoing cycles of poverty and lack of resources, a certain segment of the black population in the U.S. does resort to extremely violent criminal activity. It is very hard to break out of it. And of course this does not apply to the vast majority of blacks, who are completely law-abiding. Nevertheless, it is very visible in cities all across America.
And I totally agree with you. Just didnt want to jump the gun and read too much into your post. A lot of time the root cause of an action is not understood by people; and it by no means justifies that action. Growing up in New Orleans I can remember the city being Murder Capital on numerous occasions. Sad but true; and the fact that it was on that list by the OP does not surprise me. But like I stated earlier, I go to Rio each year and the drug trade is just as bad there as anywhere else. Just surprised it didnt show up....

Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Also. as an avid Rio visitor, I can tell you that there is significant drug related murders there yet it did not show up very highly on the list it seems.....
rio has been dropping a lot. they've been trying to take control of the neighborhoods and raid drug houses for the 2014 world cup i heard.

according to this site, they're murder rate was 29.8 per 100,000 a couple years ago and i'm assuming also dropped in 2011 as it has been at its lowest rate in 20 years.
Rio de Janeiro Safety - Tips for staying safe in Brazil & avoiding crime ...

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 02-13-2012 at 07:55 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
rio has been dropping a lot. they've been trying to take control of the neighborhoods and raid drug houses for the 2014 world cup i heard.

according to this site, they're murder rate was 29.8 per 100,000 a couple years ago and i'm assuming also dropped in 2011 as it has been at its lowest rate in 20 years.
Rio de Janeiro Safety - Tips for staying safe in Brazil & avoiding crime ...
Yeah I get the Rio Times electronically. I am here now for Carnaval and have kept up with that story, the cleanup for Olympics and WC.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:35 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Santo Domingo has to be on that list. It definitely has a murder rate of over 30. Dominican Republic is virtually a narco state nowadays.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Sometimes I think that legalizing ALL drugs (including cocaine) is the only solution to end criminality in Latin America...

That would end the narco mafias and the gangs.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Sometimes I think that legalizing ALL drugs (including cocaine) is the only solution to end criminality in Latin America...

That would end the narco mafias and the gangs.

Then the narco mafias would go to the nearest wal-mart or supermarket and get themselves a cashier job, right?

They'd find the next thing and the crimes would continue.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:24 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Then the narco mafias would go to the nearest wal-mart or supermarket and get themselves a cashier job, right?

They'd find the next thing and the crimes would continue.

Not really...
Cutting off their drugs means cutting off their money. What would they be able to do without money? It would be a risky situation to try to switch over into a different business.

Think about it...
You own a company that sells a certain type of shoe. One day nobody wants to buy your product anymore and you start losing money. You want to maybe try putting a different product out but you don't have the money for the materials and your shoe brand was all you knew. What are you supposed to do?

And what would the next illegal thing they switch to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World