Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:45 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,768 posts, read 4,122,233 times

Advertisements

Why limit yourself to thinking about America and Europe?
As an AFRICAN-American, maybe you would thrive in an African country.
Just a thought...

Old 04-26-2010, 12:10 PM

683 posts, read 1,464,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2know View Post
Where to everyone's knowledge is the best country to live without racism? I have been reading many posts about the U.S. and Europe and both seem to have animosity toward african americans no matter where you go. I have lived in the United States al my life andi know there is much racism here. I thought for a time at aiming to go to europe, not because I thought it was better but because i thought racism was a part of people's ignorance. I was hoping that europeans didn't have that. A couple of years ago, I met a french boy in my school and he refered to me as road kill. He really wouldn't stop and i eventually changed schools. Many of his friends from asia also made the same jokes. I hear so many people saying in places like France, they loved american goods and not our foreign policy. I don't agree with it either but is there no place in the wrld for me to be free? Even in this day and time? I'm about to go off to college and I really have an interest to learn about the world. Should i give up trying to be a bit more educated about the world and aiming for a place to make good friends and have a good life? Or should I just be content with this?

YouTube - European Racism

Old 04-26-2010, 02:46 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,188,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrr View Post
What I find funny about the OP is that he talks about not being accepted in the U.S yet wants to flee to another White country.
Why is that strange?

It may be hard to believe because, on racial issues, we in the western world tend to put our social flaws under a microscope, but European societies (including their derivatives like the U.S., Canada, etc.) are the most open and tolerant societies in the world with the best records on human rights and opportunities for women and racial/ethnic minorities however unequal it may still be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Why limit yourself to thinking about America and Europe?
As an AFRICAN-American, maybe you would thrive in an African country.
Just a thought.
As per what I said above, because an African-American would be a minority ethnic group in African countries. You know what they do to ethnic minorities in most African countries?

One's best bet in Africa would probably be South Africa in terms of racial/ethnic acceptance combined with economic opportunity but even that would pale with almost any city in America or Europe.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:13 PM

683 posts, read 1,464,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloway View Post
I would say the best place in the world for africans is africa
He isnt african, he is a U.S. national. Dark skinned americans built this country too and you better respect them.

And why are some of you talking about the U.S. as if it were a "white country"?

Even a jew or an Armenian is considered to be white according to our census. Plz... I'd consider canada, australia, argentina, and Uruguay as new world "white" countries. The U.S.??? Lol. Only in Hollywood movies where producers employ Australians/Canadians (sam worthington, Russell Crowe, huge jackmann, Keanu Reeves, Jim Carrey, Michael J Fox etc) to portray the role of the U.S. characters. A hollywood fantasy...

The OP should stay in the U.S. with his multiracial population.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 PM

139 posts, read 440,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynG View Post
I'm very late to this thread but I have enjoyed reading it.
I would like to get back to the original poster's question because it is one that I am currently asking myself.

Where in the world can I go as an African American where I will be accepted and treated with respect?

That's the gist of it.

The US may be a great country for advancement and a have a high standard of living but for African Americans it can be a stressful and discouraging place to live. There are so many factors that go into why living here is emotionally and physically draining for us but in general we fight an uphill battle in every aspect of our daily lives. Its tiring and discouraging and-like the original poster expressed-I'm tired of fighting and I don't really see the logic in doing so if I don't have to.

So I guess part B of the question is:

IS there a place in the world where African Americans can go where we will be accepted and treated with respect?

If you can, please respond with a list of countries and how you've been treated there. I'm very serious about moving.

I think its great to discuss the altruistic idea of sticking around and sacrificing one's happiness for the cause but I'd much rather flourish, succeed and enjoy what's rest of my life without the added stress.
I LOVE Salvador, Brazil. I have friends who have been living there for a few years and they have NO intentions of returning to the US.

I can relate to what you are saying. I am really sick of the racism here. Brazil is a racist country but it's not as uptight as the US. Another thing I get sick of hearing about is how "great" the white nations are and how if not for the white man everyone else would be wiping their butts with their hands and living in the bush. Yet many of them are bald-headed alcoholics who are stressed out and unhappy so they can keep their "civilization" LOL.

Well Salvador is a city where people are ACTUALLY happy though they don't have much in the way of material possessions but the wealth of the spiritual and cultural is priceless. Also I can do without the high-tech bullchit in general. Brazilians are beautiful and very optimistic. They have their racism and their problems, but people tend to live their lives and start of move with the rhythm of life.

I find Americans to be very ignorant and backwards and basically mean-spirited. I live in Northern California and all people do out here is gripe and complain about life. Most Americans I find to be narrow-minded bigots who are always giving lip service about "the greatest country in the world" yet are committing suicide at record rates.

Brazilians put more emphasis on family and relationships than they do making a buck - at least in Northeastern Brazil. Race/class/gender issues are a part of Brazilian society but it is not a 24/7 obsession like it seems to be with so many people in America. If there is a country more racist than America I would definitely like to know what it is. Yeah America is multi-cultural/multi-racial and all of the races and cultures hate each other so what good is America's "multi-culturalism?"I get sick of the coldness of Anglo society. Latin, especially Afro-latin culture is full of PASSION and LIFE. There is no such thing as personal space in Brazil but I loved not having any. I loved seeing the many happy couples in Brazil just enjoying each other. When is the last time you attended a wedding or baby shower in the States except for those in the Latin communities. That is because love does not exist in this nation.

People really know how to live life over there. When any of them asks me about America I tell them "hell no you don't want to go" because you may be able to make money but is it worth putting up with the American people and their crazy-azzed bullchit and looking at out of shape unhappy people? Brazilians are the sexiest people on earth. Seldom do you see a fat, ugly or obese or badtempered one.

If you can, travel to Brazil yourself. Rio is nice but Salvador is really the soul of Brazil. It's really a magnificent place. Bahia is known as the "land of happiness".

Old 04-27-2010, 10:30 PM

139 posts, read 440,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
He isnt african, he is a U.S. national. Dark skinned americans built this country too and you better respect them.

And why are some of you talking about the U.S. as if it were a "white country"?

Even a jew or an Armenian is considered to be white according to our census. Plz... I'd consider canada, australia, argentina, and Uruguay as new world "white" countries. The U.S.??? Lol. Only in Hollywood movies where producers employ Australians/Canadians (sam worthington, Russell Crowe, huge jackmann, Keanu Reeves, Jim Carrey, Michael J Fox etc) to portray the role of the U.S. characters. A hollywood fantasy...

The OP should stay in the U.S. with his multiracial population.
And all of the races HATE each other in this "multiracial" country.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,076,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDominadora View Post
I LOVE Salvador, Brazil. I have friends who have been living there for a few years and they have NO intentions of returning to the US.
I'm biased and I think the best place is in the Latinamerican countries that have a lot of black people.
But you still find some racism.

In Venezuela (the one that I'm familiar with),
There's a saying that says: "Everybody has black blood in them, even Simon Bolivar (George Washington of South America) who was raised by his black nanny after both of his parents died and she became his adoptive mother"

Everybody in Venezuela, Colombia, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Brazil has a black relative.
But there's a different type of racism over there, it has to do with thinking that black people are ugly. So, white people with blonde hair and blue eyes always get the good paying jobs.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:35 AM

312 posts, read 904,864 times
Go to South Africa, there you can join all the other blacks who's hating on the whites. A dream might come true for you.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:46 AM

50,010 posts, read 63,335,877 times
I can't imagine a better country than the US, but if you say you face a daily struggle here, then I have to accept that you do.
If I were African American I would thank God my ancesters got snatched out of Africa, but aren't there modern, thriving areas of Africa now? Maybe you could go back and help build that country. Also, I've noticed that the people in the Caribbean seem very happy, and there you would be in the majority.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,876,742 times
I suggest u live where u are .. keeping racism aside ..theres discrimination of all sorts everywhere in the world .. please dont pull yourself towards the dark hole .. respect one another respect the land ..live in peace ..god bless all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World