Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 01:50 AM

606 posts, read 694,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2know View Post
But what if the people around you really don't care about you. What if your family wasn't reliable and you didn't have anyone to fall back on? Why would you stay in a plce you are not wanted?
maybe there are not many options.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:54 AM

606 posts, read 694,926 times
Some African countries don't discriminate black population,but obviously they are not for you.Europea?That's where most white people come from,europea is not for non-white.And if the only language you know is English,UK will become the only European country you can live.

United States is your only choice(maybe Canada is also okay).

Old 09-08-2007, 02:17 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,897,215 times
Maybe Australia but I have no real idea about it. Just a guess.
The above poster was right about Europe and Africa. It would be as much of a culture shock for you to go to africa as it would for me (and I'm white).
Also, Europe is having difficulty assimilating its minority Muslims so as time passes you may find more and more resentment pointed at you injustly.

Where in the US do you live btw?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:28 PM

86 posts, read 257,978 times
Its not racism as much as tribes,you sound like you would belong in africa,i have a friend who plans to move there and start a buisness.its wide open for being developed.i mean you even phrazed the question with african american.people are always going to look at you,and look even more if you are of a different race,its human nature.im from canada and my folks are from holland,i never refer to myself as a dutch canadian american.so right now im looking to move somewhere else in the usa,and my wife is asian,so the wondering where to live thing is in my mind also,good luck!

Old 09-09-2007, 12:38 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,002,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Hold-on a second. If someone is a African-American then they are simply an American that is descended from an African. So for AA's I would say America obviously.
What's the point of calling U.S. blacks African Americans when they are a part of the U.S. and not of Africa? Now if someone were to ask where the best place in the world for blacks to escape racism against them in particular than Africa is the only place I can think of. Every country has racism to a certain extent so I would guess Africa would be the only place free of racism against blacks.
You've hit the nail on the head.....the end to racism begins with the elimination of hyphenated origins....you're either American or you're not.

Besides, calling myself a Scots-Irish-English-French-Spanish-German-Dutch-Norwegian-American takes too much time.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:33 PM

86 posts, read 257,978 times
My experience is the japanese are big racist and so are australians,i guess i could go on and on,always wondered why blacks would want to live in the south in the united states,in atlanta a guy gave me a ride to the dentist and called blacks porch monkeys.ive considered moving to tennessee but im not sure if my preconcieved notions of the south well come true.im looking for affordable housing,arizona is to close to california,so its expensive and the wages are horrible.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:52 PM

49 posts, read 146,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron17571 View Post
My experience is the japanese are big racist and so are australians,i guess i could go on and on,always wondered why blacks would want to live in the south in the united states,in atlanta a guy gave me a ride to the dentist and called blacks porch monkeys.ive considered moving to tennessee but im not sure if my preconcieved notions of the south well come true.im looking for affordable housing,arizona is to close to california,so its expensive and the wages are horrible.
Arizona ... expensive? You mustn't be looking very hard. Houses can be bought for less than $200,000 in nice parts of Tucson.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 PM

469 posts, read 2,731,096 times
Even in Africa, there can be real problems if you are not the "right" kind of African. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of tribes and languages in Africa. Check out some of the ethnic violence in places like Rwanda and the Sudan.

Canada might be a good place, although when I was in Montreal, on the subway I saw these ads with a black man and a white woman holding hands. Someone had taken a knife and scratched their faces out, while the other ads around it were untouched. Kind of creeped me out.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:20 PM

30 posts, read 233,289 times
I know that racism exist pretty much everywhere but, i mean on a day to day basis. Has anyone here actually had problems with people, from a certain country, bothering oyu about race. I mean, here some people make jokes about races and say they are kidding but really aren't. I just want some plae where people don't label you as a black straight off the bat. I don't want to go to africa becuase i am not interested in that culture. No offense. I want somewhere where people will lok at oyu and try to understand the person inside instead of looking at you and assuming a stereotype. Sorry, i don't mean to sound so passionate

Old 09-10-2007, 12:51 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,306,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2know View Post
Where to everyone's knowledge is the best country to live without racism? I have been reading many posts about the U.S. and Europe and both seem to have animosity toward african americans no matter where you go. I have lived in the United States al my life andi know there is much racism here. I thought for a time at aiming to go to europe, not because I thought it was better but because i thought racism was a part of people's ignorance. I was hoping that europeans didn't have that. A couple of years ago, I met a french boy in my school and he refered to me as road kill. He really wouldn't stop and i eventually changed schools. Many of his friends from asia also made the same jokes. I hear so many people saying in places like France, they loved american goods and not our foreign policy. I don't agree with it either but is there no place in the wrld for me to be free? Even in this day and time? I'm about to go off to college and I really have an interest to learn about the world. Should i give up trying to be a bit more educated about the world and aiming for a place to make good friends and have a good life? Or should I just be content with this?
Consider yourself fortunate to be black and live in America. Not everyone is racist, but face the fact that in a country that is not homogenous like Japan, there will always be racism. Asians feel the negative effects of racism here. Indians, hispanics you name it. The best that you can do is strive for high academic achievement, so that you can have an enormous sense of self-pride, self-worth, independence, and intelligence. Strive to be a learned man. Develop your own reward system and seek out and befriend only those people who judge you by "content of your character", not the color of your skin. Recognize that those who do otherwise, have serious problems.

Only by doing this, by creating your own reality, will you combat the negative aspects of being black in America.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 09-10-2007 at 01:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World