Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:55 AM

30 posts, read 233,602 times

Advertisements

So i should just acept it if people around me think i am lower than they are and just be quiet? That just seems very weak i guess. You guys aso make it sound like this is a hopeless search.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:47 AM

49 posts, read 380,583 times
Hopefully, you're not thinking that everyone around looks at you and automatically thinks of some stereotype. If that's the case, then I don't think you can ever be happy anywhere. I agree with a number of the posts from above...racism is a part of human nature and exist just about everywhere.

But, just to give you a bit of my experience (I'm a black North American), both my brother and I lived in Japan (he for 6 years) and loved it. In my opinion, Japan is probably the safest country on the face of the earth (really, there is little to no crime). I was pretty much welcomed by everyone and even those who thought I was 'scary' told me why and would ask me questions about myself. The more they learned, the better the situation. I understood, being in such a homogeneous country where the feeling of world isolation is still pretty prominent, that many people would be curious about me and would want to ask questions. Educating them about me was probably the best thing and the most calming for me.

As for my travels in other countries, I haven't had any problems. In eastern europe and the UK a really odd thing kept happening to me...random guys would just walk up and kiss me! It was really strange (a bit scary in one instance), but by no means racist...and if it was, well, it's a pretty strange show of it.

I was just in Australia last fall and really enjoyed myself! So much so, I'm moving there next year. I've heard a number of stories and have read up on the history of the treatment of Australia's blacks (the aborigines), but I like a challenge and am willing to learn and make a nice life for myself there...for the time being.

Many of the Australians I have met have been very nice and open, as have the Europeans, Asians, Africans and Middle Easterners I've met.

All in all, it truly is about who you surround yourself with, how you carry yourself, how you educate yourself and how you view yourself. It all starts inward. If you have a negative view of yourself, others will, too.

I think you'll be alright anywhere you go...it's all up to you : )

Old 09-15-2007, 09:51 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,179,044 times
Trying2know you will always meet someone that has a problem with you. Unfortunately, when you are of color, any color, it is obvious and the easiest thing to pick on.

As others have said to you, you just have to move on and live your life. I truly believe that if you expect people to like you and expect to be accepted generally you will be liked and accepted. Expect the worse and that is usually what you get. When someone says something ignorant to you , you just have to let it go. They only speak for themselves.

Choose where you live by looking at the things that you want out of life. Not by looking for the one place where everyone will love you. It's not gonna happen.

Be at peace with yourself and let the people with their attitudes and prejudices take care of themselves. YOU will be a lot happier. And beleive me those people giving you a hard time are not happy. Bless them and let it go.

And yes I am black, african american, american of color.... whatever you want to say. I have often said that on the next census I will check everything because it is probably true.

Much Love!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 10:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2know View Post
Where to everyone's knowledge is the best country to live without racism? I have been reading many posts about the U.S. and Europe and both seem to have animosity toward african americans no matter where you go. I have lived in the United States al my life andi know there is much racism here. I thought for a time at aiming to go to europe, not because I thought it was better but because i thought racism was a part of people's ignorance. I was hoping that europeans didn't have that. A couple of years ago, I met a french boy in my school and he refered to me as road kill. He really wouldn't stop and i eventually changed schools. Many of his friends from asia also made the same jokes. I hear so many people saying in places like France, they loved american goods and not our foreign policy. I don't agree with it either but is there no place in the wrld for me to be free? Even in this day and time? I'm about to go off to college and I really have an interest to learn about the world. Should i give up trying to be a bit more educated about the world and aiming for a place to make good friends and have a good life? Or should I just be content with this?
what is wrong with having african friends?
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2know View Post
I know that racism exist pretty much everywhere but, i mean on a day to day basis. Has anyone here actually had problems with people, from a certain country, bothering oyu about race. I mean, here some people make jokes about races and say they are kidding but really aren't. I just want some plae where people don't label you as a black straight off the bat. I don't want to go to africa becuase i am not interested in that culture. No offense. I want somewhere where people will lok at oyu and try to understand the person inside instead of looking at you and assuming a stereotype. Sorry, i don't mean to sound so passionate
Try New York City.

I moved there from elsewhere in the U.S. for a few years. Everyone in that city is from somewhere else. Many African-Americans are highly educated and have great jobs there.

Outside of New York City, I'm gonna just take a guess and say maybe Paris?

As far as Canada goes, it's primarily white and asian with a little bit of African. Reminds me of Seattle or San Francisco. Liberal politics with mostly white people talking about how tolerant they are. Are they tolerant? Yeah, politically tolerant. But at the end of the day, you just don't see that many African-Americans with leadership positions and great jobs and everything else (outside of Mayor Brown in San Francisco). I'd think an African-American person would be tired of the talk but not see the act. Then again I guess its better than other places where there is no talk and no act (gonna go with a stereotype that that might be most of the midwest and deep south?)

Anyways, I'm gonna say New York City. Outside of that, maybe Washington DC or Atlanta - mostly because there are so many very successful and wealthy African-Americans who've already made strong marks there.

Another possibility might be South Africa. Some world class cities. They have some crime problems, but economically they have the money and infrastructure seems to be much like U.S., etc.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:37 PM

119 posts, read 456,900 times
Should i give up trying to be a bit more educated about the world

Ok..this statement right here is why there is and has been racism and stupidity in the world....not being educated and not being taught acceptance of other races and cultures. The absolute worst thing you can do, IMO, is to stop learning about the world.

That being said, the only place you will find a place where everybody accepts everybody else is in the land of Peter Pan and the Easter Bunny. Blacks are NOT the only ones discriminated against...every race is discriminated against by another race. I have found myself having to defend myself from where I'm from and I'm white. Like I've said in another post before, you can't stop stupid.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:21 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,317 times
Maybe Australia but I have no real idea about it.

NOT Australia. They've had attitudes toward their aboriginals and still do - similar to the US - some improvement but still racist.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:32 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,317 times
So i should just acept it if people around me think i am lower than they are and just be quiet? That just seems very weak i guess. You guys aso make it sound like this is a hopeless search.[/quote]

The key is not to accept it but to try to find compensations for yourself - focus on the things that make you happy - concentrate on and involve yourself in those things. I doubt people will think you are "lower" than they are if you carry yourself with confidence. I know someone who has spent his whole life letting this upset him and he is now in his 70s and is as angry and bitter as ever. You don't want to be that way. Unfortunately, you cannot escape racism; you have to learn a way to cope with it that lightens the load - mixing with others - your own ethnicity and other ethnicities all around. You win some; you lose some. Focus on the winning times.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,350 times
I am an African-American woman with a PHD. I have travelled all over the world and have faced racism in school and out in the world. One thing to remember is that you are not the only person in the world who has faced racism. Just remember not to let it define who you are. I don't care what people think about me. I just do my own thing. In this day and age, you can do what you like because there are enough good people out there who wan to do the right thing. I do what I want, stand up for the causes I believe in, and I go where I like. I am free, wherever I am and have lived, including Africa, because I don't let others define me. Don't wallow in what others think about you, just do what you want with your own life; there are so many people out there suffering who need you.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 11,350 times
Default Listen:Word from the Wise

It is not weak to just live your life. Don't worry about what people think of you. Who cares! SOme will like you and others won't for whatever reason. If not race, they'll find some other reason. I was so shocked when I went to Italy to find that Northerners don't like Southerners. Everywhere I traveled and lived with people, there was some dumb issue. Don't get caught up in worrying about that. Set goals for yourself and just do it. I hold a PHD and some whites told me, "Who do you think you are, you don't deserve to be called Dr." Hum, I told them," That's not what your white brothers at UCLA told me when they handed me my certicate that says DR. on it." Just keep stepping and walk to the beat of your own drum. In these days, people can hate you but they can't stop you. Just love them back and you'll help conquer hatred in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World