U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 03:29 PM

483 posts, read 1,446,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2know View Post
ummmmm, isn't that segregation? People had that same idea when they signed Plessy v. Ferguson. I don't mean to sound rude but i found offense to that.
Funny, I always thought it was the right to choose that was important. Not just changing the words from "you cannot go here" to "you must go there".

Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 PM

30 posts, read 185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Funny, I always thought it was the right to choose that was important. Not just changing the words from "you cannot go here" to "you must go there".
I'm sorry you got angry from my statement a few days ago but I just have a personal theory that when people stay in around people of their own origin, they are impaired to look around them and explore other cultures. It's not good to have one certain kind of friend or acquiantance. I don't mean this in reference to "where to live" for people but just my idealogy to leads me to where i go.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:16 PM

694 posts, read 1,517,537 times
Best country for African-Americans would probably be in America itself. Sure, this country has racial tension, but honestly it is much better here than anywhere else because of the amount of diversity America has. It's a great experience living abroad in other countries, but unfortunately racism is everywhere (not just against blacks, but against everyone, whether they be white, asian, indian, etc.).

If you do want to check out other areas in America that are good for African-Americans, here is Black Enterprise's Top Ten cities that came out last May:

blackenterprise.com (http://www.blackenterprise.com/polls/exblog.asp?id=2868 - broken link)

1) Washington, D.C. Metropolitan
2) Atlanta, GA Metroplitan
3) Raleigh, NC Metropolitan
4) Houston, TX Metropolitan
5) Nashville, TN Metropolitan
6) Dallas, TX Metropolitan
7) Charlotte, NC Metropolitan
8) Indianapolis, IN Metropolitan
9) Columbus, OH Metropolitan
10) Jacksonville, FL Metropolitan

Old 09-27-2007, 04:10 PM

26 posts, read 258,955 times
Trenton, NJ is not too bad

Old 09-29-2007, 03:19 PM

20 posts, read 78,496 times
Kenya, Africa!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 29,063 times
There are some great advice on this board and I agree with just about everyone especially the one that said; There is no place like home! No matter where you go in this world, you will encounter racism... I do not know about Canada nor the Netherlands but I hear good things about them, racism is not an issue in other words. It also seems to me that you have family issues so I would say, search very deep and you decide what you want to do. Do you want to get away totally from racism, family and whatever else? Then try perhaps going to Canada which is not that far and see how it goes there but remember that ignorance exists everywhere in the world. I think that many of us are responsible for what goes on around us, I consider myself a black latino and I can tell you that because of the way I live and places I frequent, I have yet to run into any racial problems though I have many friends who have but I feel that we can control racism by just not frequenting and being around the ignorant people. You should not run from the issue but try to do everything in your power to isolate or allienate yourself from being around the "IGNORANTS" It can be done, I am 54 years young and I can honestly tell you that I have never encountered a racism problem, if I did, I would report whoever for this act is punishable... But I keep in mind that there are many jerks out there but I try hard to stay clear from them... It can be done! Follow your heart and good luck!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:17 AM

3 posts, read 23,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
Consider yourself fortunate to be black and live in America. Not everyone is racist, but face the fact that in a country that is not homogenous like Japan, there will always be racism. Asians feel the negative effects of racism here. Indians, hispanics you name it. The best that you can do is strive for high academic achievement, so that you can have an enormous sense of self-pride, self-worth, independence, and intelligence. Strive to be a learned man. Develop your own reward system and seek out and befriend only those people who judge you by "content of your character", not the color of your skin. Recognize that those who do otherwise, have serious problems.

Only by doing this, by creating your own reality, will you combat the negative aspects of being black in America.
That is some good advice you are giving!

Ignorance and racism are found everywhere u go. I live in germany(am white with 2 black kids) and there are areas over here where I would not want to live.
Seek out people with whom you have something in common( not nessesarely the color of your skin), interests and values for example. If u look close, listen and pay attention you will find that there are people who will value the cntent of your heart, appreciate the differences and learn from you.
Walk good

Old 10-19-2007, 12:08 PM

2,306 posts, read 4,771,604 times
Ummm....there is no "best place". In general, Black people are seen as "odd" or "inferior" just about everywhere. It's a universal idea unfortunately.

My family is from Jamaica. The Caribbean is pretty unique in that African culture is celebrated there. Hang-ups and self-esteems issues about being of African decent are not as pointed there as they are in the U.S. But you have a lot of other problems in the Caribbean...including a strict class system left over from the European-imperialist days that is hard to break into. Also, as a single person, I find another curious problem in the Caribbean. Men swarm me; not because they are attracted to me....but because they want to marry an American woman so that they can get a visa to come to the U.S. I mean, it doesn't even take too long for it to come out. They hear I'm American and they start talking all about New York and California....like it's all heaven on earth.

I've also been to Israel; encountered zilch racism there. But they have other class issues....aligned mainly with religion. Since I'm Jewish, I was exposed to the better aspects of Israel. It's also easier to live a Jewish existence in Israel....so if I could move out of the country...that is where I would go. I don't know why a non-Jew would want to move there though.

Africa could be an option. I've never been there - but many African-Americans have made the move (including Jackie Robinson's son). But Africa is a big, diverse place. I heard Liberia (the country that was founded by/for African-Americans) has problems.

Anyway, if you leave the US to alleviate racism...you may find that. But what will you be losing? In many cases, you will lose out economically. Unless you have a job offer lined up or a business plan to do something in your host country....it's very tough. Most foreign countries are quite unlike the US in that they offer very little by the ways of support and funding for new immigrants to their countries. Rather....they like to take care of their current populations. Also it helps if there is already a strong community of kinsman where you are going. I don't really know what country has that regarding African-Americans.

And I sort of don't get why people only limit themselves to English-speaking countries. Don't limit yourself by thinking you can't learn another language. You can....you just need to make it priority and apply yourself.

In addition to racism, I think that mental limits are a big problem....for all human beings.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 PM

268 posts, read 354,378 times
I live in Belgium near the Netherlands border and I can say that there's a lot of racism actually in Netherlands and in the Dutch part of Belgium !
For instance, If you're black or arab don't try to get in a nightclub, I had the problem 1 month ago ... and France is the same.
When I was in the USA, i hadn't that kind of problems ...
I think the most tolerent country in Europe toward blacks should be the UK !
You should stay in the US but move to a different location , so many people in the world (me included) dreams of moving to the USA ...

Old 10-19-2007, 02:22 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 1,514,497 times
Default Honestly.....

I really do not think there is a place like what you are seeking to find....I have travelled a lot and spent time in Europe (England, France, Germany, Denmark, Holland, Sweden, Finland, Italy, Serbia) and Africa (Ghana & South Africa).

The African culture pretty much welcomes any race and they are very friendly they made me feel like I belonged there...in Europe it was something else certain areas were accomodating others were not -- I remember getting on a bus in Germany and sitting next to an older white lady who gave me this strange stare and grabbed her handbag like I was about to rob her....I said nothing just looked at her made eye contact and laughed my behind off so loud.

In Europe you hardly hear them use the N word as they do everyday in the US -- so there is a difference in cultures but it will not be what you might be looking to find.

Like somebody said earlier..."home sweet home" but unfortunately if you are not interested in the African culture which happens to be the culture of your ancestors, why should some other culture be interested in you....this might require some deep thinking...sorry but lets call apples, apples and not something else.

Best regards.

============

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2know View Post
I know that racism exist pretty much everywhere but, i mean on a day to day basis. Has anyone here actually had problems with people, from a certain country, bothering oyu about race. I mean, here some people make jokes about races and say they are kidding but really aren't. I just want some plae where people don't label you as a black straight off the bat. I don't want to go to africa becuase i am not interested in that culture. No offense. I want somewhere where people will lok at oyu and try to understand the person inside instead of looking at you and assuming a stereotype. Sorry, i don't mean to sound so passionate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World