Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:27 AM

6 posts, read 19,841 times

Advertisements

Well, I agree with everybody, racism seems to be a universal lever... it is now germming between people of the same colour. Well, I'm South African, I have experienced both white supremacist racism and the master of today's news headlines called Xenophobia. Try being black in South Africa, the master tribes or ethnic groups will tell you you are way too black to be South African. I think the best place in the world is Botswana... you can defininately try the place!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:21 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,491,934 times
an african american could not go to africa and escape racism because I have been told blacks in africa think its moronic that blacks in america refer to themselves as "African American". I do too by the way.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:24 PM

51 posts, read 244,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
an african american could not go to africa and escape racism because I have been told blacks in africa think its moronic that blacks in america refer to themselves as "African American". I do too by the way.
Funny my African friend tells me they wish more African Americans would visit as some still admire us.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:17 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,372,175 times
Go to Germany. Those white german women love the blacks. It'll offset whatever racism you'll experience from the german males

Old 05-29-2008, 07:15 AM

72 posts, read 438,901 times
maybe you should hang around different people. i'm caucasian & my best friend is black.. she doesn't get a lot of racism here in oklahoma.. but you know.. maybe you could take a vacation to Jamaica or Ghana or something.. i was watching some TV on the travel channel- you know anthony bourdain's no reservations & that bizarre foods with andrew zimmern.. ghana & Jamaica look like they have some really delicious foods, as well as being cool places to live/vacation. they also seem to have a pretty cool music scene & are very big on their cultures. i also worked with a girl who's father is from Ghana & she recently went back there to visit some family for the first time.. she brought back some pictures & it was gorgeous!! i wanna visit there someday, too. it was just so pretty!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:59 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,358,954 times
I would like to ask the OP (or anyone else) what specific racism have you encoutnered to make you feel that there is a better place?

For all the critism and hype, Europe, America and Canada remain the most diverse areas in the world, so I would venture to say even with the real or perceived racsim, those areas are still far better than what many people's own race and ethinic dominated countries can ever offer.

Go for a tour wround the world, I am sure your own experience will answer any questions, by the way, don't get too upset in the many African countries when they shun you, mock you and assault you because they do not realize at first you are from America but from another culture/ethinicity in Africa. Many black Africans have a severe case of xenophobia when it comes to intrusions from other African cultures.

Also, another thing, drop the "African" American thing. Africa is a continent made up up a diverse group of people, beleive it or not, not everyone in Africa is black and not all black Africans are the same.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:57 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,240,391 times
There's always Detroit, East St. Louis and Gary, IN.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,124,000 times
Where in the US do you live? Is there any chance you are hypersensitive? Is it possible the French person called you road-kill because he didn't like your personality and that it had nothing to do with color?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 13,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Go to Germany. Those white german women love the blacks. It'll offset whatever racism you'll experience from the german males
LOL you might be right. I am German and married an African American. In general Germans like to marry people from other countries.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:55 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,033,567 times
To the OP:

As long as you set yourself apart (i.e..."since I am black"...) as "different" then you will always succumb to the perceived or real notion of racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World