Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 PM

51 posts, read 244,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Any poverty stricken black run country might just possibly be the worst place for an African-American. Whether it's Africa or the Carribean, etc. My older brother lives in Jamaica for instance and when I talk to other Jamaicans they say that they despise blacks in America. It is very ignorant, I know, but keep in mind, these are third world countries, where education, especially on world culture and lifestyles, is very limited, which works against anybody outside of the country, not just Americans. They generlise African-Americans as overly cocky, boasty and they think they live as well as most other Americans (ie no projects, ghetto's, etc), whcih far from true and even hypocritical. It is more culturally based then race based, and could be found in any under-educated third world country where ignorance is everywhere. Not only would Jamaicans not offer open arms to African-Americans, but neither Haitians or Africans, etc., because they are not from there. It would be the same situation if a Jamaican or African-American or Carribeanite went to a country in Africa. The ignorance, combined with the "every-man-for-him/herself" type attitude found in third world countries, would isolate any outsider, regardless of race- ie there would not be enough wealth to go around they would just view you as someone trying to take advantage of their country, especially if you're american, black or not. Western nations, regardless of race, would be the best places to stick with, because of the better education (the ignorance, though may be noticeable, would not compare to a third world country), and not everybody is trying to make it just day-to-day. Like I said, it's more ethnically based for an African-American in a black country: they would only see an American, nothing more, nothing less.
Hmmm from what I have observed, there isn't what a call "hatred" of African American Blacks so much as there is perhaps, RIVALRY. The media Machine that is Hollywood has placed AF. American's at the top of the list when it comes to black folks. It's understandly that Caribean Blacks who develop inferioroity complexes (by feelin "swallowed up" or Mistaken for "A.A") or superiotiy complexes -depending on the types of images that they are hit with continually . Still there was a time , not so long ago that African Americans who viewed admirably across the world for our leadeship during the Civil rights movement. The same Civil right movement that has enable so many people of color to come HERE and do well. I have many friends from the Caribean who have had their misgivings about A.A.'s. Some assumed I was from the Caribean because I don't curse, don't act loud, and have manners. But really, they just needed to get out, get some EXPOSURE. Just like we A.A.'s (including myself) need to stop asking "How they going to treat me?" and jinstead just travel and see for ourselves.

Based my (albeit very imited) experiences in predomantly Black countries, we were WELCOMED. For example, when my wife and I visited the Bahama's alll the women said "HellO pretty Lady" and "you have such pretty eyes". I'm talking people who wanted nothing in return. There was SOLIDARITY. Actually more than t here (the U.S.) wehere Black folk usually rather compete than compliment.....

Old 10-28-2008, 08:30 PM

668 posts, read 2,349,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodey View Post
Hmmm from what I have observed, there isn't what a call "hatred" of African American Blacks so much as there is perhaps, RIVALRY. The media Machine that is Hollywood has placed AF. American's at the top of the list when it comes to black folks. It's understandly that Caribean Blacks who develop inferioroity complexes (by feelin "swallowed up" or Mistaken for "A.A") or superiotiy complexes -depending on the types of images that they are hit with continually . Still there was a time , not so long ago that African Americans who viewed admirably across the world for our leadeship during the Civil rights movement. The same Civil right movement that has enable so many people of color to come HERE and do well. I have many friends from the Caribean who have had their misgivings about A.A.'s. Some assumed I was from the Caribean because I don't curse, don't act loud, and have manners. But really, they just needed to get out, get some EXPOSURE. Just like we A.A.'s (including myself) need to stop asking "How they going to treat me?" and jinstead just travel and see for ourselves.

Based my (albeit very imited) experiences in predomantly Black countries, we were WELCOMED. For example, when my wife and I visited the Bahama's alll the women said "HellO pretty Lady" and "you have such pretty eyes". I'm talking people who wanted nothing in return. There was SOLIDARITY. Actually more than t here (the U.S.) wehere Black folk usually rather compete than compliment.....
True, but you have to remember things were different in the civil rights era, at least in the way people viewed African Americans in foreign countries. Now, the new generations in these foreign countries (who have had 0 contact with an Anglo-American or African-American) define African Americans by hip-hop and rap (as cable came into these countries with MTV and BET), which was not around at the time of the civil rights era. Now, what goes along with rap these days is the money and bling and boastiness, and when you combine that along with the fact that they are American (and to them, America= money and streets paved with gold), it creates alot of jealously in third world countries. It's sad and ignorant and far from reality, but unfortunately it's true to them. Now that's not to say everyone reacts with hostility, but if you are not from, say Nigeria, you will you not be treated equally, whether your skin is black or not. Once they find out you are foreign, especially if you are American, there will be some uneasiness, whether it's really awkward admiration (like what u described in the Bahamas) or hostility, or unequal treatment. Now, I'm only speaking from experience in Jamaica, and I've brought plenty of my black friends down there and they treated us equally, like trying to sell us stupid bracelets and souveniers, ripping us off left and right, lots of begging, mean mugging, brown nosing, etc. And I've heard stories from my black friends who have traveled to black countries, such as somewhere in the Carribean, and they all report the same type of hostility or (overly-friendly) awkwardness. That's not to say everybody's like that, but the ignorance from the lack of education and lack of contact with foreign cultures makes it more widespread than what you would find in a western country. Keep in mind, they think literally EVERY American, no matter what color, is RICH beyond belief, with infinite money to spend and streets paved with gold.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
True, but you have to remember things were different in the civil rights era, at least in the way people viewed African Americans in foreign countries. Now, the new generations in these foreign countries (who have had 0 contact with an Anglo-American or African-American) define African Americans by hip-hop and rap (as cable came into these countries with MTV and BET), which was not around at the time of the civil rights era. Now, what goes along with rap these days is the money and bling and boastiness, and when you combine that along with the fact that they are American (and to them, America= money and streets paved with gold), it creates alot of jealously in third world countries. It's sad and ignorant and far from reality, but unfortunately it's true to them. Now that's not to say everyone reacts with hostility, but if you are not from, say Nigeria, you will you not be treated equally, whether your skin is black or not. Once they find out you are foreign, especially if you are American, there will be some uneasiness, whether it's really awkward admiration (like what u described in the Bahamas) or hostility, or unequal treatment. Now, I'm only speaking from experience in Jamaica, and I've brought plenty of my black friends down there and they treated us equally, like trying to sell us stupid bracelets and souveniers, ripping us off left and right, lots of begging, mean mugging, brown nosing, etc. And I've heard stories from my black friends who have traveled to black countries, such as somewhere in the Carribean, and they all report the same type of hostility or (overly-friendly) awkwardness. That's not to say everybody's like that, but the ignorance from the lack of education and lack of contact with foreign cultures makes it more widespread than what you would find in a western country. Keep in mind, they think literally EVERY American, no matter what color, is RICH beyond belief, with infinite money to spend and streets paved with gold.
True but the ignorance goes both ways. Many so called Western countries exhitibitant high amounts of Ingorance (diguised as arrogance) when interacting with Foriengners. That's part of the problem. When we visit these countrises we have got to drop that "I come form a first world country" superior attitude.

P.S what my wife and I encountered in the Bahamah's was not an "awkward" friendlness. It was more of a welcoming "your with family" vibe.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:59 AM

668 posts, read 2,349,379 times
Yeah I hear ya, but me nor any of my friends carry a "first world superior attitude" (I know alot of people from western nations do), I speak fluent Jamaican patwa and interact with Jamaicans on a local level (far away from towns that have ever seen a tourist), yet complete strangers will still aproach you and ask you for money just because your American, some even assumed I was a "brownin" (a white Jamaican with light/brownish skin, similiar to the color my Mexican-Latino skin). It may be different in the Bahamas because most of the islands are used to tourists there, especially with Americans, and so are not as uneducated about other cultures. Depends what island you are on though, if you were on Nassau/Paradise Island, then that would be understandable, but obviously, again, not everybody is like that and it's not really fair for me to say. Even still, I find random compliments that I get from Jamaicans some times on my looks awkward, cause I know they're saying some of these things just because I'm American because I would never get the same weird type of compliments in America and they would never give the same compliments to other Jamaicans (I'm not saying your wife isn't pretty or has nice eyes, I'm just pointing out the different ways they treat foreigners).

And yes, there is ALOT of ignorance in western nations, but to say people in western nations are as more widespread ignorant of other cultures as isolated third world nations is far from true. It nobody's fault, its just the education and/or diversity there is lacking, which has an effect on how they view different people/cultures.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:16 PM

34 posts, read 71,285 times
You can go to Africa. I think racism won't bother you there.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:44 PM

Depends on the country. To say there is no race issue in South Africa or Sudan would be rather naive I would think.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:50 AM

212 posts, read 687,723 times
The "best place in the world" is ENTIRELY dependent on you, your attitude, your circumstances and how you carry yourself.

As a black American female who travels abroad alone, I must say, just pick a place that interests you and GO. Don't let the color of your skin hold you back from experiencing the world. I've been to the UK, Ireland, Turkey and Japan - not once did I experience any racism or hostilitiy, however, that's my personal experience. Some have had negative experiences and some haven't. You're not going to know how you'll be treated until you're actually there interacting with people.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,631 times
This Is an important questions for blacks. Maybe we should do what the racist people in America suggest we do. Go back to Africa. They certainly need us there to help educate and make a change. Then we can be racist against those who have placed soo much oppression and racism on us and be justified. No one has the right to be racist in America except Native Americans. As far as God is concerned in the biblical sense wasn't he who divided the people? Wasnt he who changed their languages? So if we believe that which it says we must conclude he knew racism would be and more importantly he created it.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:04 AM

164 posts, read 566,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Sadly I think all countries have racism as it seems an inherent part of human nature.

I would say generally that Canada, and the Netherlands seem to be the least prejudiced people IMO, but then again I am white so not exactly the best person to comment. I have found both the Dutch and Canadians very open and pretty fair minded about everybody though even the Netherlands have a strong white supremacist movement.

Denmark is also supposed to be very good . My Black and Arab friends tell me the worst places are Eastern Europe.
Where in the world have you heard that the Netherlands have a strong white supremacist movement? I am Dutch and know nothing about this ? I think we have such a multicultural community, people will have no trouble fitting in whatever their "background".

Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 AM

164 posts, read 566,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallit View Post
The "best place in the world" is ENTIRELY dependent on you, your attitude, your circumstances and how you carry yourself.

As a black American female who travels abroad alone, I must say, just pick a place that interests you and GO. Don't let the color of your skin hold you back from experiencing the world. I've been to the UK, Ireland, Turkey and Japan - not once did I experience any racism or hostilitiy, however, that's my personal experience. Some have had negative experiences and some haven't. You're not going to know how you'll be treated until you're actually there interacting with people.
Good point! And if people react in an ignorant way..well you just ignore them, they are not worth your energy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World