Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,887 times

Advertisements

I am studying a certification course in the background of hospitality and currently i am undergoing 6months of training in a 5* hotel in singapore. I am thinking to do my further studies in US and i really need some suggestions from the pros like you. My budget is flexible(12k$US per annum) for the tution fee. If you guys know any of the college under my requirement please lemme know. cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 11:03 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macav View Post
I am studying a certification course in the background of hospitality and currently i am undergoing 6months of training in a 5* hotel in singapore. I am thinking to do my further studies in US and i really need some suggestions from the pros like you. My budget is flexible(12k$US per annum) for the tution fee. If you guys know any of the college under my requirement please lemme know. cheers
You are kidding ... , right ?

Regardless, Go check out the New York area for those kinds of schools.

I also would check out Europe, like Switzerland.
For some reason, I feel that their programmes are better.
But probably *out of your range*

Why do I think that?
Not from the school's side, but from the results.
I traveled a lot (business) and I saw the difference (USA vs. Europe) in how I was treated/serviced in major hotels.
We hold our Tech Conferences in Major hotels.
The employees in major European hotels seem to me a bit more informed about any person they come in contact with.
They speak more foreign languages, and are more knowledgeable with the customs their guest may feel comfortable with.

What is the end-result you like to end up with ?
Hotel Management, Culinary ?
Do you want to end up with just a BA, or want to go even further ?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,887 times
Appreciate your reply irman.
I totally agree with the point you made. Swiss is mother land for hospitality and tourism, i have heard many great things about swiss unv's, even some of my mentors are graduates of swiss univ's. It is a great opportunity to study in the univ's but those are out of my range, i cannot afford the required tuition fees. so only i am thinking for US.
About knowledge, Singapore is one of the great tourism country and i am learning many things about hotel, standard of service and many things in the hotel i am training. I know what are the standard of service and i am great at it.
I want to have my career in hotel management.
After gaining proper knowledge about the hotel, i will do my further studies.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 466 times
I thoroughly concur with the point you made. Swiss is a motherland for neighborliness and the travel industry, I have heard numerous extraordinary things about swiss universities, and even a portion of my coaches are alum Swiss universities. It is an extraordinary chance to concentrate at the university nevertheless those are out of my reach, and I can't bear the cost of the necessary educational expenses. so just I am thinking about the US.
About information, Singapore is one of the extraordinary travel industry nations and I'm learning numerous things about lodging, the standard of administration, and numerous things in the inn I'm preparing. I realize what is the norm of administration and I'm perfect at it.
I need to have my vocation in the inn the executives.
In the wake of acquiring appropriate information about the inn, I will do my further examinations.

Old 09-21-2022, 11:07 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macav View Post
Higher Ed in US is a waste of money. Firstly, its way too expensive. Secondly, everyone has a degree devaluing it. Thirdly for the money you spend, the quality of instruction is garbage. And this goes for every course of study, not just Hospitality.

Old 09-21-2022, 05:55 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,323,424 times
OP is posting under two IDs, "macav" and "rafeelclark"?
He forgot his password(s), and had to register a second time?
macav/rafeelclark, if you eventually return to read the messages here, below are some suggestions.

Going abroad to study is for the best and the brightest, unless one has rich parents.
As we have already witnessed during the Covid lockdowns, and so will be in the coming global recession, service sector is the most affected with workers being laid off. Western countries have reduced the number of student visas processed.

If you are from one of the neighboring islands, you may want to take remedial courses to improve and prepare yourself,. Also, have you check out SHATEC which is sure to to get your foot in the door at most hotels.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:55 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
I'm gonna be a skeptic here. Why does it take four years to lrsln to put place cards next to dinner plates? In that time, you can learn to be a metallurgical engineer. I get that the course is Hetel Management, a form of business administration. But how many hotels are going to need Managers in the next fours, and will promote some Asian village girl to the post.

I think the going tuition rate is around US$1,000 a year, and a huge majority will get hired making beds. It smells a lot like a money grab from the desperate. Hotel and resort jobs, in Asia, with graduate certificate, pay a few USD per day, and for a lucky few, a marriage proposal by a European pensioner to get me out of this hellhole.. Use your imagination to fill in the seamy side. Asian girls are pretty, but their life is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World