U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 AM

1,550 posts, read 1,978,333 times

Advertisements

Latin America is more expensive than Southeast Asia.

But, depending from where you come, the flights are way cheaper... It's cheaper to fly from Europe to Brazil than from Europe to Thailand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM

7,515 posts, read 8,097,184 times
Departure date 3/15, returning 3/29

MSP-HKG: $1154
MSP-SIN: $1280
MSP-BKK: $1725
MSP-HAN: $1528
MSP-MNL: $1674

MSP-RIO: $1284
MSP-BUE: $1786
MSP-BOG: $943
MSP-SJO: $796
MSP-CUN: $550
MSP-MEX: $724

Amazing how expensive airfare to Latin America has gotten. I remember a few years ago when MSP-CUN was under $300.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 PM

14,452 posts, read 12,712,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Departure date 3/15, returning 3/29

MSP-HKG: $1154
MSP-SIN: $1280
MSP-BKK: $1725
MSP-HAN: $1528
MSP-MNL: $1674

MSP-RIO: $1284
MSP-BUE: $1786
MSP-BOG: $943
MSP-SJO: $796
MSP-CUN: $550
MSP-MEX: $724

Amazing how expensive airfare to Latin America has gotten. I remember a few years ago when MSP-CUN was under $300.

Prices this year all around the board are ridiculous. I did however see some good prices to TYO and ICN for less than 750.

Keep in mind, your prices here could be inflated due to spring break season.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM

341 posts, read 446,230 times
ok so we've established that SE asia is cheaper than South america. and obviously there is tons of variation in south america too..

but SE asia is the cheapest

Where does Eastern Europe fit into all of this? Countries like Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Romania, etc.

edit: not trying to hijack the thread. just curious. maybe i'll go make a new thread about it later this week.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,502,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
ok so we've established that SE asia is cheaper than South america. and obviously there is tons of variation in south america too..

Where does Eastern Europe fit into all of this? Countries like Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Romania, etc.

edit: not trying to hijack the thread. just curious. maybe i'll go make a new thread about it later this week.
Czech Republic isn't cheap at all, except for beer (you can get those prices throughout bavaria) nor do I consider it to be 'eastern europe' as it seems to share an economy/development more along the lines with Germany than say Moldova. I know places in the balkans can be cheap, like Serbia, Macedonia, Bosnia, Albania, and Bulgaria. Romania from my brief experience is pretty cheap as well. Russia, which is the ultimate trip for someone wanting to experience eastern europe, is VERY expensive in the big cities (Moscow, St. Petersburg) and since that's the totality of my experience with Russia I'm going to say Russia is pretty damn expensive. Never been to the baltics or Ukraine, Moldova, Belrussia but I'd imagine they're your cheapest bet in e. europe.

Overall the balkans are comparable to the prices in Mexico. Russia (biggest cities) is comparable to w. europe and the Czech Republic is comparable to c. europe prices. So not cheap.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:04 PM

2,419 posts, read 2,098,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post

the backpacker index might interest you:

World's cheapest cities for budget travelers - Price of Travel

There is a longer explanation of the Backpacker Index on each of the regional pages, but the short version is that we found the price for a group of things for each destination, and then translated that into US dollars in late January 2012. While this data is meant for backpackers and budget travelers, the proportions will be nearly identical, so the list should also be useful to those with more money to spend.
For each city this daily total includes:
  • A dorm bed at a good and cheap hostel
  • 3 budget meals
  • 2 public transportation rides
  • 1 paid cultural attraction
  • 3 cheap beers (as an “entertainment fund”)
Cheapest cities in Asia - 26 Major cities compared by price for 2012

Cheapest cities in South and Central America - Backpacker Index 2012

Cheapest cities in Europe - 47 major European cities ranked by price

it's useful for a comparison basis.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,021,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post

Jw Marriott Los Angeles L.A. Live

Hotel Guest Rating: 9.3/10

Located less than one mile from the Staples Center and Nokia Theater, JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. Live offers luxurious rooms with a 42-inch flat-screen TV and Wi-Fi access. Facilities include an outdoor rooftop pool.The air-conditioned rooms of JW Marriott enjoy a modern interior. All rooms are equipped with an iPod docking station, a mini-fridge, and coffee and tea making facilities. Room service is available 24/7.The outdoor rooftop pool offers panoramic views of the city. JW Marriott Los Angeles at L.A. Live also features a fitness center, a spa, and a concierge service.Guests can choose from 6 different restaurants and bars offering national and international dishes. The restaurants specialize in local and organic ingredients.The Grammy Museum at L.A. Live and the L.A. Convention Center are both located less than one block from the JW Marriott Los Angeles.

http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/r...=null&LRQ=null

$299.00
per night only 5 left
at this rate

Deluxe King Or Double Room | x room details

View Cancel Policy -- Flexible Cancellation
  • Freebies: Free internet in public areas

Room Facilities: Tea/Coffee Maker, Shower, Bath, Safety Deposit Box, Pay TV, TV, Telephone, Air Conditioning, Hairdryer, Iron, Bathrobe, Radio, Refrigerator, Desk, Ironing Facilities, Seating Area, Free toiletries, Toilet, Video, Bathroom, Satellite TV, Cable TV, Bath or Shower, Carpeted Floor, Interconnecting Room(s) available, Laptop Safe Box, LCD /Plasma /Flat-screen TV, Sofa, Tiled / Marble floor, Alarm Clock, iPod Docking Station

J.W. Marriott Hotel Rio De Janeiro

Hotel Guest Rating: 7.4/10

Located on the seafront of Copacabana and only 3 blocks from a subway station, the JW Marriott Hotel offers a safe environment and a private strip of the beach just across the street.During your stay, you can enjoy gorgeous sea views while sunbathing in the rooftop swimming pool or working out in the gym.Choose between enjoying international cuisine in the Terraneo Restaurant and experiencing the Japanese dishes from the Taiyou Sushi & Sake Bar.You can visit the Terraneo Lounge Bar to savor drinks and appetizers in a stylish atmosphere, or have a variety of refreshments at the informal Café da Praia, next to the beach.If you really want to spoil yourself, just drop by the treatment rooms and sauna.The reliable staff is always willing to give tips and help you plan your joyful days and evenings in Rio de Janeiro

http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/r...171920&LRQ=623

$623.98
per night only 1 left
at this rate

Deluxe Atrium Room | x room details

Room Facilities: Minibar, Safety Deposit Box, Telephone, Air Conditioning, Hairdryer, Bathrobe, Radio, Ironing Facilities, Toilet, Bathroom, Cable TV, Bath or Shower

different category? what? theyre both jw marriotts, both have same stuff in rooms and same amenities, if anything the LA marriott offers more. stop making stuff up because you've been proven wrong, especially on the internet where you can verify anything in 1 min of checking.
What foadi is (correctly) pointing out is that to live the same lifestyle in Brazil (or any other developing country) as you would in the US, it will be more expensive. My experience living in many developing countries (Ukraine, India, China, Russia) can back this up. In Russia, where I am now, if you want to stay in a mid-level hotel that compares with a $60 Holiday Inn Express, you will have to pay in the 5000-6000 ruble range ($170-$200, roughly). In fact, in most of the countries I've spend time in (with the notable exceptions of China and Thailand), there aren't the mid-level Holiday Inn-type hotels: Only cruddy locally "managed" ones or ridiculously expensive five-star joints.
This is just an illustration of the difference between living a developing world lifestyle (very cheap) and living a developed-world lifestyle in the developing world (very expensive).

Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 PM

341 posts, read 446,230 times
^^ awesome link. thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,307,620 times
Default Look at the pictures. Get with it. And that's not what the website says. You probably haven't even been to the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post

Jw Marriott Los Angeles L.A. Live

Hotel Guest Rating: 9.3/10

Located less than one mile from the Staples Center and Nokia Theater, JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. Live offers luxurious rooms with a 42-inch flat-screen TV and Wi-Fi access. Facilities include an outdoor rooftop pool.The air-conditioned rooms of JW Marriott enjoy a modern interior. All rooms are equipped with an iPod docking station, a mini-fridge, and coffee and tea making facilities. Room service is available 24/7.The outdoor rooftop pool offers panoramic views of the city. JW Marriott Los Angeles at L.A. Live also features a fitness center, a spa, and a concierge service.Guests can choose from 6 different restaurants and bars offering national and international dishes. The restaurants specialize in local and organic ingredients.The Grammy Museum at L.A. Live and the L.A. Convention Center are both located less than one block from the JW Marriott Los Angeles.

http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/r...=null&LRQ=null

$299.00
per night only 5 left
at this rate

Deluxe King Or Double Room | x room details
  • Freebies: Free internet in public areas

Room Facilities: Tea/Coffee Maker, Shower, Bath, Safety Deposit Box, Pay TV, TV, Telephone, Air Conditioning, Hairdryer, Iron, Bathrobe, Radio, Refrigerator, Desk, Ironing Facilities, Seating Area, Free toiletries, Toilet, Video, Bathroom, Satellite TV, Cable TV, Bath or Shower, Carpeted Floor, Interconnecting Room(s) available, Laptop Safe Box, LCD /Plasma /Flat-screen TV, Sofa, Tiled / Marble floor, Alarm Clock, iPod Docking Station

J.W. Marriott Hotel Rio De Janeiro

Hotel Guest Rating: 7.4/10

Located on the seafront of Copacabana and only 3 blocks from a subway station, the JW Marriott Hotel offers a safe environment and a private strip of the beach just across the street.During your stay, you can enjoy gorgeous sea views while sunbathing in the rooftop swimming pool or working out in the gym.Choose between enjoying international cuisine in the Terraneo Restaurant and experiencing the Japanese dishes from the Taiyou Sushi & Sake Bar.You can visit the Terraneo Lounge Bar to savor drinks and appetizers in a stylish atmosphere, or have a variety of refreshments at the informal Café da Praia, next to the beach.If you really want to spoil yourself, just drop by the treatment rooms and sauna.The reliable staff is always willing to give tips and help you plan your joyful days and evenings in Rio de Janeiro

http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/r...171920&LRQ=623

$623.98
per night only 1 left
at this rate

Deluxe Atrium Room | x room details

Room Facilities: Minibar, Safety Deposit Box, Telephone, Air Conditioning, Hairdryer, Bathrobe, Radio, Ironing Facilities, Toilet, Bathroom, Cable TV, Bath or Shower

different category? what? theyre both jw marriotts, both have same stuff in rooms and same amenities, if anything the LA marriott offers more. stop making stuff up because you've been proven wrong, especially on the internet where you can verify anything in 1 min of checking.
Do you speak English? Or maybe it's your math. But, let me make it clear. 11 is much, much smaller than 32. In other words: 11<32.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
What foadi is (correctly) pointing out is that to live the same lifestyle in Brazil (or any other developing country) as you would in the US, it will be more expensive. My experience living in many developing countries (Ukraine, India, China, Russia) can back this up. In Russia, where I am now, if you want to stay in a mid-level hotel that compares with a $60 Holiday Inn Express, you will have to pay in the 5000-6000 ruble range ($170-$200, roughly). In fact, in most of the countries I've spend time in (with the notable exceptions of China and Thailand), there aren't the mid-level Holiday Inn-type hotels: Only cruddy locally "managed" ones or ridiculously expensive five-star joints.
This is just an illustration of the difference between living a developing world lifestyle (very cheap) and living a developed-world lifestyle in the developing world (very expensive).
Yeah, hotel prices. Now, that's a very credible and reliable measure. Especially when you compare the wrong hotels. Go to Africa or any other developed country and find a tourist area. Those areas cater to Westerners and, therefore, they have set their prices accordingly. It's hard to understand, is it.

Next.

Last edited by Glucorious; 02-28-2012 at 10:30 AM..

Old 02-28-2012, 12:57 PM

4,982 posts, read 3,420,096 times
I think, by reading what people is saying in this thread, that southeast asia is cheaper than Latin America.

All i can say is that Latin America is really diverse in prices. Like, Bolivia is way cheaper than Argentina for example. I dont know about central america, but i guess its cheaper than south america in general too. Brasil is very expensive, even compared to Buenos Aires, one of the more expensive places in Argentina. Río is way more expensive than Buenos Aires for example. Also, some mountains resort in Patagonia are even more expensive than Buenos Aires. But the argentinian northwest is very cheap, for example.

I would say Chile and Uruguay are as cheap/expensive as argentina, maybe a bit more expensive? Brasil is definetely more expensive than arg, so, in the souther part of SA, Arg is probably the cheapest, but compared to the rest of LA, is not cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World