U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 PM

2,038 posts, read 1,886,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
But, let me make it clear. 11 is much, much smaller than 32. In other words: 11<32.
11 what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM

740 posts, read 1,156,433 times
I have lived in Ecuador for almost a year now, and I live in a small town that is famous for its tourism and has a very large expat population based on per capita.

Here are some prices.

If you are traveling through and not staying for very long you can find a basic room in a hostal for 5-6 a night. A decent room in a bed and breakfast about 15-20.00 a night.

If you are staying long term, i have rented a room for 80.00 a month, and it is fairly easy to find one for about 150.00 a month. Home rentals are common for about 300.00 a month and these are at least 2 bedroom. Not bad at all.

A new hotel opened up just about a month ago. All rooms are quite large, maybe 20x20 or bigger, comes with a large flat screen tv and a jacuzzi(yes, in your room next to your king sized bed) and this goes for about 40.00 a night. Get this, you can rent the room long term for 400-500 a month. The only drawback I have heard of is that it is a little on the loud side, due to some construction. No problems at night though.

A beer, 24 ounces or so which is twice the size of an American beer goes for about $1.25 at the bars and only like $.80-1.00 in the stores. THis is hella cheap and the beer is not too bad.

Lots of awesome restaurants here, with just about everything you can think of and usually goes for around $5.00 a meal. You can get a fixed lunch for about $2.50 which is quite good and filling.

Night life is fairly limited, but isnt bad on the weekends.

Taxis around town, only $1.00.

Large health nut population here and quite a few conspiracy theorist/survivalist types. I fit right in!

Consider these prices above average for most of Ecuador due to increasing prices via the expat population.

Peru is cheaper and Bolivia is cheapest of all. Bolivia is still pretty limited in overall tourism though.

Chile and Argentina are both more expensive but you can still travel on a budget for a fraction of what you would spend in the US. Can get quite cold in both the southern parts of these countries. Dress accordingly.

If you do make it to Ecuador, keep in touch. I have no plans on leaving and love my carefree life and I am youngish. Money goes a long way here.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:48 PM

338 posts, read 419,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I think, by reading what people is saying in this thread, that southeast asia is cheaper than Latin America.

All i can say is that Latin America is really diverse in prices. Like, Bolivia is way cheaper than Argentina for example. I dont know about central america, but i guess its cheaper than south america in general too. Brasil is very expensive, even compared to Buenos Aires, one of the more expensive places in Argentina. Río is way more expensive than Buenos Aires for example. Also, some mountains resort in Patagonia are even more expensive than Buenos Aires. But the argentinian northwest is very cheap, for example.

I would say Chile and Uruguay are as cheap/expensive as argentina, maybe a bit more expensive? Brasil is definetely more expensive than arg, so, in the souther part of SA, Arg is probably the cheapest, but compared to the rest of LA, is not cheap.
good post, thanks. sounds like you know what you're talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
I have lived in Ecuador for almost a year now
thanks for the post, i read all of it. I cut it out of the quote so people don't have to scroll down as much.

Where in Ecuador do you live? I heard great things about Quito, but also a city called Salinas on the coast. have you heard of Salinas? it seems to be not that well known, at least online. Can you comment on it?

I definitely want to go to Ecuador when I visit south america! the prices you described are VERY cheap. on par with what I saw in southeast asia basically.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
good post, thanks. sounds like you know what you're talking about!

thanks for the post, i read all of it. I cut it out of the quote so people don't have to scroll down as much.

Where in Ecuador do you live? I heard great things about Quito, but also a city called Salinas on the coast. have you heard of Salinas? it seems to be not that well known, at least online. Can you comment on it?

I definitely want to go to Ecuador when I visit south america! the prices you described are VERY cheap. on par with what I saw in southeast asia basically.
Vilcabamba, far Southern Ecuador below Cuenca.

If you like big cities, I would say Cuenca is nicer than Quito. Lots of beautiful architecture hundreds of years old. Nice nightlife and affordable. Guayaquil is a cesspit and should probably be avoided. Salinas is nice if you like the beaches. The beaches of Ecuador aren't too impressive though, at least compared to the Caribbean.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Peru is cheaper and Bolivia is cheapest of all. Bolivia is still pretty limited in overall tourism though.
peru is cheaper than ecuador? that's the first i've heard of that.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Vilcabamba, far Southern Ecuador below Cuenca.

If you like big cities, I would say Cuenca is nicer than Quito. Lots of beautiful architecture hundreds of years old. Nice nightlife and affordable. Guayaquil is a cesspit and should probably be avoided. Salinas is nice if you like the beaches. The beaches of Ecuador aren't too impressive though, at least compared to the Caribbean.
I've heard Cuenca mentioned before as being cheaper than Quito and a very cool city to go to! I definitely like cities on the beach though so I'll have to check out Salinas.

Thank you for the information!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:24 PM

508 posts, read 723,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Brazil can't be expensive compared to the U.S.

After 7.5% Growth, Brazil's Per Capita Income Reaches US$ 11,500

This source says the per capita income for Brazil was 11,490 Dollars.

File:Personal income.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's over 32,000 Dollars in the U.S. Almost 3 times as much. Saying that "Brazil is as expensive as NY" is ridiculous. Not even close.
I don't know about specifics, but I lived in Latin America for a couple years (Panama) and worked often in Brazil. My personal experience re: hotels, restaurants, etc. is that, yes, it is as expensive as NY. My best friend moved from Panama to Brazil and her rent for a smaller apartment is significantly more than my 2 bedroom/bath 1600 squ ft apartment in NY.

Keep in mind, Brazil has a significant disparity between high income and low income, which can skew the numbers. Middle class is not as prominent.

Also, I am talking about Sao Paulo/ Rio; of course the outer regions, many are not even accessible by car, will again skew it down.

Numbers and statistics tell you a lot, but my comment was based on the area I assumed someone from the US would be looking at and the type of lifestyle they hope for. Based on this-- I stand by my fact-- Brazil is as expensive as NY.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
I don't know about specifics, but I lived in Latin America for a couple years (Panama) and worked often in Brazil. My personal experience re: hotels, restaurants, etc. is that, yes, it is as expensive as NY. My best friend moved from Panama to Brazil and her rent for a smaller apartment is significantly more than my 2 bedroom/bath 1600 squ ft apartment in NY.

Keep in mind, Brazil has a significant disparity between high income and low income, which can skew the numbers. Middle class is not as prominent.

Also, I am talking about Sao Paulo/ Rio; of course the outer regions, many are not even accessible by car, will again skew it down.

Numbers and statistics tell you a lot, but my comment was based on the area I assumed someone from the US would be looking at and the type of lifestyle they hope for. Based on this-- I stand by my fact-- Brazil is as expensive as NY.
where did you live in Panama? how was the cost of living there? can you give specifics like a hostel room for the night? a meal at a restaurant? beer at a restaurant? taxi ride? etc

Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 PM

prolly depends on what city you want to stay in, especially things like taxis. i mostly stick to big cities and have only spent time in panama city. remember prices being similar to colombia around US$30 for private room in a hostel. not sure how much for dorm bed, prolly in the range of US$10, which is the average for the region. food prices are the same as anywhere, can get a decent meal in the $5 range. can spend a lot more if you want too. beer prices depend on what type of establishment you're drinking at honestly, impossible to say.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
peru is cheaper than ecuador? that's the first i've heard of that.
Yes, Peru is MUCH cheaper.

Ecuador uses the USD as their currency, and Peru uses the Peruvian Sol. You can buy a decent meal for under $2.00 in Peru. Your money will go about 50% in Peru over Ecuador. Of course their are exceptions, like Machu Pichu which is more or less a tourist trap.

I live about 60 miles from the Peruvian border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World