U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 AM

341 posts, read 432,027 times
Default On average, is Latin America or Southeast Asia cheaper?

I know latin america is a very broad area. So is southeast asia. But in general I'm wondering which is cheaper. Both are famous for having low cost of living. I just returned from traveling in Vietnam and Cambodia and I'm just curious if Latin America is cheaper or more expensive.

Vietnam was about 25% cheaper than Cambodia and Thailand, from what I saw/heard. Hotels were as cheap as 8 dollars a night for a guesthouse with bathroom, AC, fridge, cable TV, etc. And in the big cities a guesthouse or hostel could go up to 16-18 dollars for a room. Beer in a restaurant was 50 cents. Meals in a restaurant were 2-4 dollars for local food.

Would places like Panama, Ecuador, Colombia, Nicaragua, Brazil, Argentina, etc. be as cheap/cheaper?

I'm hoping some people who have traveled around both areas can comment on prices. And I'm talking about in general. I know that there are expensive places in both areas. I could have spent $100 a night on a hotel in Cambodia, and I'm sure you could spend $200 a night in Panama City if you wanted to. but I just mean for budget traveling/living abroad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 AM

684 posts, read 758,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
I know latin america is a very broad area. So is southeast asia. But in general I'm wondering which is cheaper. Both are famous for having low cost of living. I just returned from traveling in Vietnam and Cambodia and I'm just curious if Latin America is cheaper or more expensive.

Vietnam was about 25% cheaper than Cambodia and Thailand, from what I saw/heard. Hotels were as cheap as 8 dollars a night for a guesthouse with bathroom, AC, fridge, cable TV, etc. And in the big cities a guesthouse or hostel could go up to 16-18 dollars for a room. Beer in a restaurant was 50 cents. Meals in a restaurant were 2-4 dollars for local food.

Would places like Panama, Ecuador, Colombia, Nicaragua, Brazil, Argentina, etc. be as cheap/cheaper?

I'm hoping some people who have traveled around both areas can comment on prices. And I'm talking about in general. I know that there are expensive places in both areas. I could have spent $100 a night on a hotel in Cambodia, and I'm sure you could spend $200 a night in Panama City if you wanted to. but I just mean for budget traveling/living abroad.
The Whole American continent is Latin. It is easier to say America (latin) and AngloAmerica (All U.S. states excluding California, Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and Canada's Quebec/Montreal)

No place is cheap in America. Brazil is far more expensive than Miami and Miami is very expensive compared to any other US city.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
The Whole American continent is Latin. It is easier to say America (latin) and AngloAmerica (All U.S. states excluding California, Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and Canada's Quebec/Montreal)

No place is cheap in America. Brazil is far more expensive than Miami and Miami is very expensive compared to any other US city.
i read this like 6 times and i'm still dumbfounded.

My question was quite clear. I knew there would be nit-picking because i asked about such a broad area, but i certainly hoped it wouldn't be in the first post.

I even included examples of specific countries in my post.

Why are you talking about Montreal and Texas ???

Old 02-26-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
i read this like 6 times and i'm still dumbfounded.

My question was quite clear. I knew there would be nit-picking because i asked about such a broad area, but i certainly hoped it wouldn't be in the first post.

I even included examples of specific countries in my post.

Why are you talking about Montreal and Texas ???

edit: I'll make the question more specific so that it's easier to answer for future readers.

Are vietnam and cambodia cheaper or more expensive than panama and colombia? there... nice and specific

Old 02-26-2012, 12:18 PM

9,084 posts, read 12,183,745 times
Quote:
edit: I'll make the question more specific so that it's easier to answer for future readers.

Are vietnam and cambodia cheaper or more expensive than panama and colombia? there... nice and specific
wish I could help you, but I've only been to Argentina, Uruguay and Peru. None of these are cheaper than SE Asia. So I think its safe to say SE Asia is cheaper.. I've been all over SE Asia and was shocked at how cheap things were in place like Laos. Of course, Singapore, KL, Manila and HK won't be cheap. And ignore edu, your question was clear perhaps their pnties were in bunch when they read your thread.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,453,465 times
Latin America isn't all that cheap. Places like Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and Costa Rica are pretty up there with Western standards. Even countries that are hurting more like Colombia, Bolivia, Nicaragua, Guatemala etc aren't as cheap as Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam etc

Old 02-26-2012, 02:02 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,973,353 times
Quote:
my experience in these four countries

reasonable accommodation:
cambo/vn: US$10-15/night
colombia/panama: US$20-30/night

daily food expenses:
cambo/vn: US$10-12
colombia/panama: $15-ish

transport, comes out to around the same. taxis are more expensive in colombia/panama but these countries also have much better public transportation systems.

a pack of cigs will cost US$1 in cambodia, $2 in colombia

colombia and particularly panama are MUCH more expensive when it comes to nightlife IMO.

one thing to note: all of my trips to colombia and panama have only been in the 1-3 week range whereas im generally in indochina for 3+ months, so that could be part of the reason se asia seems cheaper to me. my overall daily budget in cambodia/vn usually averages out to US$60/day or so, whereas in colombia i've averaged US$100-120/day. if i stayed in colombia for 3+ months i'd imagine i could cut that budget down to US$70-80/day but i doubt i would get it lower than indochina.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM

14,455 posts, read 12,302,707 times
Yeah, some people have no lives and have to purposfully nit pick a question just to feel better about themselves. It was very obvious what you asked, don't worry.

Besides the flight, your average prices are going to be more expensive in Latin America than they would be in Asia. If you want to go to a main city in Brasil... forget it. If you want to go to somewhere like Bogota or Medellin, there are places that are cheap, but nothing along the lines of southeast asia.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,220,626 times
Rule of thumb I'd use... the poorer the cheaper. South America is not as poor as South East Asia.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 PM

508 posts, read 747,981 times
Latin America is not as cheap as SE Asia.

HOWEVER, I must point out -- it's hard to compare total Latin America. Panama is MUCH cheaper than Venezuala, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, etc. Brazil is as expensive as NY actually. It varies so much region to region, country to country, and even city to city.

But to answer your question specifically, yes SE Asia is cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World