U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 AM

1,105 posts, read 536,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggytheanglophile View Post
I personally didnt think Venice was up to much at all. Nice around the canals but i found the suburbs rough. Also i found St Mark'square very bland. I think Foligno,Grosseto,Ancona,Genoa,Modena,Molise,the Tuscan Coast,Milanese suburbs and Turin were also very unpleasant.

Good parts of Italy for me were Capri,Cortona,Spello,Orivieto,Lucca,Siena,Todi,the Amalfi Coast,Florence,San Gimignano and Sardinia were the best
Well, I understand that it is a matter of tastes, but...St Mark Square bland?
IMHO it is the world most beautiful plaza, even though that doesn't change the fact that Venice isn't a great place to live and work... it has become a playground for tourists, unfortunately.
Also, Modena and Tuscan Coast unpleasant?
Come on... another exaggeration, the first one is a nice town, the second one is certainly OVERRATED, but it isn't bad.
I agree about Foligno, Grosseto, Ancona, Genoa, Molise, Milanese suburbs and Turin as unpleasant places: also I would add any italian big cities (Rome, Milan, Turin, Naples, Palermo, Genoa) as the worst of Italy.
Outside their historical districts they "offer" just a NASTY urban sprawl: Phoenix, Tucson, Miami, and Albuquerque's urban sprawl is Heaven on Earth compare to Rome, Milan, Turin, Naples, Palermo, Genoa's one

Last edited by italianuser; 06-06-2012 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 AM

1,105 posts, read 536,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioLM View Post
And I would also agree with you, the suburbs of Naples (especially the more inland ones and those that hug Vesuvius) are pretty bad. Also I would have added some more cities in the Mezzogiorno, namely Foggia...but like you said there are plenty in Calabria and Sicily (Messina come to mind). Then I also would agree with the best parts you added (although Siena and Lucca are not my favourites)...and then I would have added also Taormina...and even Catania for Sicily. The coast of Puglia is out-of-this-world beautiful (hence why I put in Salento).

Pd grazie x aver corretto "Le Alpi" e "Le Dolomiti"...faccio questo errore troppo spesso haha
I know: that area is almost third-world... it's terrible...
P.S. I have never understood the american infatuation for Taormina

Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,504,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggytheanglophile View Post
Hi

Im French and i live in Britain,and here are my best/worst parts of France and the UK

France(Best):
Strasbourg
Alsace
Rouen
Bordeaux
The small villages around the French Riviera
Lyon Centre
Loire Valley
Auxerre

Worst:
All of Nord De Pas Calais
Picardy
Reims
Nantes
La Rochelle
Marseille
Villeurbanne
Nancy
Tours
Brest and Lorient in Brittany
Le Havre

Best UK:
LAKE DISTRICT!!!!!!
Bristol and Somerset
Bath
Cambridge
Oxford
Devon
Cornwall
Dorset
Norwich
Lavenaham
North Yorkshire
Northumberland
Ribble Valley
Cotswolds
Canterbury
Brighton
York
Edinburgh
Outer Hebridies
Iona
Loch Ness
Caernarfon
Tenby
Lladudno

Worst UK:
Bradford
St Helens
Dundee
Swansea
Dagenham
Bridgend
Telford
Great Yarmouth
Hounslow
Luton
Grays
North Kent and the Medways (Except Rochester)
Wrexham

Thats just my opinion. Have to admit i love the Lake District the best!!!!
Lyon, areas of Southeast France/Riveria, and Strasbourg do seem appealing and enchanting. Also true for Brighton, Edinburgh, Cambridge, and Oxford in UK.

France and UK are so much more than just Paris and London. However, are there any reasons why you didn’t include them in either category?

For best parts of France, I would also include Paris, Marseille, Lille, Toulouse, Alps, Corsica, and probably some other places too.

For best parts of UK/England/Scotland I would also include London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow etc.

That is a lot of excitement to live in both France and UK/England. What are your experiences for both countries, and what country is your overall favorite out of those two places?

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 06-06-2012 at 06:19 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioLM View Post
Italy

Best
-Napoli (Chiaia, Posillipo, Vomero, Centro Storico)
-Ischia, Proceta, Capri
-Salento
-Lago Bracciano
-Roma (Trastevere, Testaccio, Prati, Centro...il resto NO)
-Firenze
-Lago Maggiore
-Gl'Alpi (i Dolomiti)
-Sardegna

Worst
-Livorno
-Pisa
-Periferia di Roma (Ciampino, secondo me, e' la citta' piu' brutta d'italia)
-Lazio in generale (tranne Formia e Gaeta)
-Periferia di Milano
-il Secondigliano
I think Milan is easily one of the best areas of Italy. Are you referring to Milan itself or the nearby areas?

Naples I hear from many being one of the worst areas of Italy, and anything that is in the south.

I assume that is too much of a generalization for Southern Italy as some areas of it is better than other areas, and that there are some people that enjoy some parts of Southern Italy.

It appears that you enjoy an equal amount of places in Northern, Central, and Southern Italy.

I am curious where would you place Genoa/Northwest Italian coastline, Turin, Bologna, and Trento. Is it closer to the best or worst category for you?

Old 06-06-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Ok, ill do Argentina:

Best:

*Northwest: Provinces of Jujuy and Salta: Purmamarca, Cafayate, las salinas, the calchaquies valleys, and all of this provinces all essnetially STUNNING!

*Iguazu Falls: omg! breathtaking.

*Patagonia: Between the glaciars and the amazing andes mountains of the south, it all makes for an amazingly beautiful huge area.

*Mendoza and Cordoba: The Andes and winerys in Mendoza, the beautiful natural scenery of the sierras in Cůrdoba.

*Buenos Aires (the city): the big metropolis full of things to do factor, though it haves nothing against the places i mentioned in scenery. But it haves architecture, people from all over the world, a rich cultural life and a lot to do!

Worst:

*Bahia Blanca: it is an ugly city. Sorry.

*Santiago del Estero, Santa Fe, Corrientes ,Formosa and Chaco are probably unimpressive compared to the rest of the country. Beare in mind i dont know this provinces entirely, just passed by them, but they dont have the obvious beauty that the ones i mentioned do have.

Thinking about it, Argentina is really a beautiful country, cause when thinking about beautiful places there were a lot coming to mind and i had to left places out, cause i didnt wanna make and endless list. And when i had to think of ugly places i had a hard time cause each province is supposed to have some beautiful place in it.
That does seem to be the best and worst areas of Argentina, including based on international perception.

You made me become a fan of Buenos Aires and it does seem to be an appealing and interesting city. I didnít know much if anything about Buenos Aires before you told me some qualities about it.

I enjoy that Argentina has a good balance of urban areas/urban scenery and nature areas/nature scenery. I like countries that have plenty of both for that. Argentina is one of the 3 best countries in the South America/Central America region.

What are your opinions for Argentinaís Atlantic Ocean coastline, especially Mar Del Plata and south, and also the city/town of Ushuaia itself?

Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 PM

248 posts, read 216,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
I know: that area is almost third-world... it's terrible...
P.S. I have never understood the american infatuation for Taormina
Even though Taormina has a Sorrento-ish touristy vibe, I think the natural setting is undeniably beautiful, and the natural vegetation and scenery peaks it's way through most of the corners of the city. I have actually not met many Americans who have been to Taormina, and most of the people I have talked to who also rave about it are peninsular Italians...maybe not so much Sicilians themselves...I don't know, maybe it is different for everyone, for example I cannot stand going to Sorrento, I feel it is a waste of time, but I have heard the opposite opinion from Italians (even Neapolitans) and non-Italians alike.

BOH

Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM

248 posts, read 216,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I think Milan is easily one of the best areas of Italy. Are you referring to Milan itself or the nearby areas?

Naples I hear from many being one of the worst areas of Italy, and anything that is in the south.

I assume that is too much of a generalization for Southern Italy as some areas of it is better than other areas, and that there are some people that enjoy some parts of Southern Italy.

It appears that you enjoy an equal amount of places in Northern, Central, and Southern Italy.

I am curious where would you place Genoa/Northwest Italian coastline, Turin, Bologna, and Trento. Is it closer to the best or worst category for you?
I was referring to the outer areas of Milan, many of the suburbs are unpleasant or just dreary. Milan itself I really like, although many people don't share that opinion, Milan to me is refreshing and definitely the most cosmopolitan city in Italy by far...thoroughly enjoy it.

Naples has a terrible reputation, but a terribly over-exaggerated one. The south in general is picked apart by tourists and trashed on by other Italians very undeservedly. It is true that there are reasons for these reputations, but they overshadow the entire region which arguable contains some of the most beautiful and culturally rich places in Italy. I am biased, maybe, because my family does originate from Naples and Basilicata (another southern region), so for me there is nostalgia and I have been able experience it in a different way. You were right to say it is too much of a generalisation, and often the good is overlooked. Shunning Naples because of its reputation would be the same as shunning New Orleans, or Rio, or many other cities that offer so much but have their seedy sides. IMO and experience Naples is one of the most raw yet beautiful cities in Italy, and those that talk it down and don't visit are missing out (especially on food ).

I do enjoy places in all the parts of Italy, and this is easy to do because Italy offers so much diversity and outstanding things all over the country. Sometimes I wish more Italians could realise that (or at least admit it) and let go of prejudice and stubborn regional pride. As for me personally, I enjoy the South, because it feels most like home but also because of the dramatic scenery, the rustic nature, and what it has to offer. I also really like the extreme north, for me it is exciting because it is soooo different, like going to another country, and the alps and the lakes are stunning. I am less fond, usually of Meridional Italy (central), but that's not to say there aren't MANY places that I like/love there.

As for the cities you listed I personally like all of them, or can find something in them that I like...I wouldn't put any of them in Best/Worst category however. I love the Italian Riviera, and there is a place in my heart for Genoa. Many people love Bologna and I can see why, I sometimes say it is like the smaller, prettier, more indie version of Milan (better weather too). Trento is beautiful, and Torino is given a bad rap for being too industrial and too boring/cold/souless etc...but I strongly disagree with that.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 PM

4,874 posts, read 2,933,972 times
Quote:
That does seem to be the best and worst areas of Argentina, including based on international perception.

You made me become a fan of Buenos Aires and it does seem to be an appealing and interesting city. I didnít know much if anything about Buenos Aires before you told me some qualities about it.

I enjoy that Argentina has a good balance of urban areas/urban scenery and nature areas/nature scenery. I like countries that have plenty of both for that. Argentina is one of the 3 best countries in the South America/Central America region.

What are your opinions for Argentinaís Atlantic Ocean coastline, especially Mar Del Plata and south, and also the city/town of Ushuaia itself?
Thats so great I made you became a fan, im so glad to hear that!

I like the Altantic Ocean coastline, im from Mar del Plata: i was born there and lived there till i was 19. But the thing about mar del plata that i dont like is that it is too crowded in the summer (like-crazy-crowded: Mar del Plata is number 1 top destination in the country to people from the country itself), so the city is a big mess. I preffer it in the winter, when there is no people and you can walk by the atlantic ocean and actually enjoy that approach to the sea (instead of being in the beach like if you were in the 6pm subway). But, MDP is mostly "used" (by tourists i mean) as a beach summer destination. And for being a beach summer destination, its not that great: the water is very cold, the city doesnt really have hot weather (more oceanic type), and its too windy, but still, the beaches are crowded. I feel there are much more beautiful places in Argentina to go in the summer but still everyone goes to mdp cause it haves more publicity. Also, it lacks the beauty a tropical beach (like Brasil ones) can have. I like it more in the winter, with its more "melancholic" beauty, with the coloured skyes and the solitary windy beach and the inmense ocean. But cleary thats just me (Mar del Plata is deserted in the winter).
About the rest of the atlantic coastline, there are very beautiful towns. Specially the zone Pinamar-Carilo-Mar de Las Pampas, that are more like woods with beaches, those are little towns way more quiet than Mar del Plata, full of beautiful woods and inmense solitary beaches with more benign weather. Those places are lovely.
About Usuahia, i never been there, but only heard good things about it.

So, point is, i really like atlantic ocean coastline but still think there are lot of places in Argentina way more interesting than those beaches, and those are the ones i mentioned in my post

Old 06-07-2012, 06:32 AM

19 posts, read 11,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Well, I understand that it is a matter of tastes, but...St Mark Square bland?
IMHO it is the world most beautiful plaza, even though that doesn't change the fact that Venice isn't a great place to live and work... it has become a playground for tourists, unfortunately.
Also, Modena and Tuscan Coast unpleasant?
Come on... another exaggeration, the first one is a nice town, the second one is certainly OVERRATED, but it isn't bad.
I agree about Foligno, Grosseto, Ancona, Genoa, Molise, Milanese suburbs and Turin as unpleasant places: also I would add any italian big cities (Rome, Milan, Turin, Naples, Palermo, Genoa) as the worst of Italy.
Outside their historical districts they "offer" just a NASTY urban sprawl: Phoenix, Tucson, Miami, and Albuquerque's urban sprawl is Heaven on Earth compare to Rome, Milan, Turin, Naples, Palermo, Genoa's one

I do feel that St Mark's square is just too touristy for its own good,placing the normal people out of its reach. Modena is okay,but again its suburbs are VERY nasty. And again some parts of the Tuscan coast aer okay,but then you have Livorno draped across it like a festering wart. I agree,Italy's towns are very pretty,but there lies the problem,Italy cant do what Germany,the UK and France have done and at least try to make the suburbs blend in,theyve just done it on the cheap!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:43 AM

19 posts, read 11,209 times
Quote:
Lyon, areas of Southeast France/Riveria, and Strasbourg do seem appealing and enchanting. Also true for Brighton, Edinburgh, Cambridge, and Oxford in UK.

France and UK are so much more than just Paris and London. However, are there any reasons why you didnít include them in either category?

For best parts of France, I would also include Paris, Marseille, Lille, Toulouse, Alps, Corsica, and probably some other places too.

For best parts of UK/England/Scotland I would also include London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow etc.

That is a lot of excitement to live in both France and UK/England. What are your experiences for both countries, and what country is your overall favorite out of those two places?

Well first of all i do object to Marseille being a good place. It has a nasty reputation as being a ghetto town. It has some very lovely buildings in it but the suburbs....brrrrr......

Lille also isnt that nice. But the Alps i do agree can go on the list and Paris city centre. Yes London and Birmingham are good too,Birmingham has a rather unsavoury reputation in the UK but it doesnt deserve it in my opinion. I few other places i will add onto the good list for the UK are Dartmoor,the Peak District,Nottingham,Rutland,Exmoor,Durham,Isles of Scilly and the Isle of Wight. Coventry and Crewe are horrid though!!! in my experience in living in both the UK and France. The food is better is France (but i must admit British food is on its way up and there are some very impressive michelin starred restaurants in the UK which are breathing down France's neck and the roads are a little better in France. However,the UK education system is far better than France's as it its more child orientated,where as in France its very rigid and twee.amd Autistic children are traeted 2nd rate,and France's special needs treatments are truly awful. The healthcare in the UK and France are both as good as eachother with flaws,but better than the USA thats for sure. The people in the UK are more tolerable than French people and are proud of their eccentric ways,i have 2 tattoos and many French people see that as 'insular'. I do prefer British people on that side. The housing is better in the UK,the taxes are a little lower and the business opputunities are better than France's. So overall,i like both,but to live and raise a family in,as a Frenchman,i choose the UK. Check out both though to get a feel for the places and see which one you prefer

P.S The weather in the UK is no where near as bad as Brits make it out to be. The only part of France which is hot is the south,the rest has a smiliar,if not wetter climate than the UK. I live in Devon,which has more sunshine than Northern Spain and has recently become the first county in the UK to start growing Olives,not bad eh???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World