U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 PM

6,100 posts, read 11,127,890 times

Advertisements

There can be a huge difference between someone wanting to visit a place and wanting to live in a place. In plenty of cases, someone would like both at the same time. However, in plenty of other cases someone would like one out of two of those possibilities.

This is my list of countries I would like visiting but not to live in (About 37 countries total).

Fiji, Nepal, Bhutan, Laos, Cambodia, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Saint Lucia, Bulgaria, Finland, Estonia, Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Andorra, Luxembourg, Russia, Greece, Poland, Malaysia, Gabon, Ghana, Egypt, Ethiopia, Israel, New Zealand , UAE, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan, Czech Republic, Georgia, Brazil, Indonesia, Philippines, Hungary.

This is my list of most countries that I enjoy visiting and also to live in (At least 23 countries total. Maybe a few more).

France, UK/England, USA, China, Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, Canada, Australia, Germany, Spain, Italy, Iceland, India, Vietnam, Belgium.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 03-05-2012 at 10:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:19 PM

24,683 posts, read 46,645,820 times
It's hard to say. I've only visited 8 countries, mostly in the Asia-Pacific region except for the States, so how would I know if I'd like to live in a place if I never visited?

The idea of living Europe does appeal to me, but then there's the practicalities of living there to think about. It's my dream to live in Italy, but I'm realistic, I know language will be a problem. And let's not start on the bureaucracy in Italy.

I'd say I wouldn't particularly want to live in most countries of the world long term - I could probably live in most short term. India and China come to mind but it could apply to anywhere. I used to really want to live in the States but the way things are going Australia really is the 'lucky country.'

Many of the countries you list - it's probably not even feasible for most foreigners to live there. Bhutan, for instance. It's like something out of the Middle Ages. I feel it would just be too much trouble actually making a life in many of those nations.

No surprise the countries in your second list are almost all developed and first world, where life is comfortable for most. I think moving to the UK would be the easiest to adapt to culturally, aside from NZ, then Canada and the States because they're English speaking. I could probably do okay in Singapore or Malaysia since I'm familiar with them and have family and friends there. God forbid living in the Philippines or Indonesia though. The idea of life in Thailand doesn't especially appeal to me, to be honest. I'd take Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia over it.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,435,442 times
In order to answer this the OP's question with some meaning, IMO one's age and interests would be the most important factors in selecting countries.

I'd like to visit Scotland, Saint Lucia, Costa Rica & Fiji.

I'd like to visit and live in (one year maximum) in: Spain, Italy & Ireland.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:25 AM

23,883 posts, read 66,491,404 times
UK, Germany, Austria, France.
UK is the only one of them I could think of living in.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:57 AM

15,972 posts, read 36,936,764 times
This is my list of countries I would like visiting but not to live in (15 countries total +).

Ethiopia, Eritrea, UAE, Lebanon, Israel, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Dominican Republic, Morocco, Ireland, Greece, Italy, Cape Verde, Portugal

This is my list of most countries that I enjoy visiting and also to live in (7 countries +).

Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, The Philippines, USA-Hawaii, Brazil

-------

That being said, once I tend to visit countries, I quickly cross them off the list.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-06-2012 at 05:53 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 AM

33,090 posts, read 34,015,085 times
I think I would like to live in most of the European countries for a good quality of life as well Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
I would like to visit most of the Far East Countries, Central & Latin American countries and parts of Africa but I don't think I would want to live in any of them long term although a short term situation of a few months might be interesting (where you kind of get to travel as a tourist and also see what it is like to live in a place).

Old 03-06-2012, 06:29 AM

35,107 posts, read 41,618,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
There can be a huge difference between someone wanting to visit a place and wanting to live in a place. In plenty of cases, someone would like both at the same time. However, in plenty of other cases someone would like one out of two of those possibilities.

This is my list of countries I would like visiting but not to live in (About 37 countries total).

Fiji, Nepal, Bhutan, Laos, Cambodia, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Saint Lucia, Bulgaria, Finland, Estonia, Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Andorra, Luxembourg, Russia, Greece, Poland, Malaysia, Gabon, Ghana, Egypt, Ethiopia, Israel, New Zealand , UAE, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan, Czech Republic, Georgia, Brazil, Indonesia, Philippines, Hungary.

This is my list of most countries that I enjoy visiting and also to live in (At least 23 countries total. Maybe a few more).

France, UK/England, USA, China, Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, Canada, Australia, Germany, Spain, Italy, Iceland, India, Vietnam, Belgium.

Visit: Germany, Ireland
Live in: United States (oh wait, I'm already here).

Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 AM

508 posts, read 1,696,027 times
My husband and I discuss this a lot as I have lived in 6 countries already (3 of them with my husband).

Given the right income and safety (ie: in many cases, an ex-pat lifestyle), I would move anywhere in the world except for India and Canada. Odd choices, I know.

I've lived in Canada in the past and frankly just had a bad experience. I did not enjoy my years there and moved the month directly after graduated (aka as soon as I could!). Now don't get me wrong, I am not only married to a Canadian, but I received Canadian citizenship while living there too. I just never felt 'at home' there. In fact, I told my husband straight up before we got married that he needs to understand that I will not move back to Canada.

I have visited India and just could not see myself living there. I have seen BEAUTIFUL places and it was an incredible experience, but the sheer disparity between classes even in the biggest cities would be too much for me.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,758,528 times
To save on typing and bandwidth, Countries I would NOT like to visit:

Countries I would like to visit and NOT like to live in:

Vatican City, Pitcairn Island, Monaco

Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 AM

6,100 posts, read 11,127,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This is my list of countries I would like visiting but not to live in (15 countries total +).

Ethiopia, Eritrea, UAE, Lebanon, Israel, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Dominican Republic, Morocco, Ireland, Greece, Italy, Cape Verde, Portugal

This is my list of most countries that I enjoy visiting and also to live in (7 countries +).

Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, The Philippines, USA-Hawaii, Brazil

-------

That being said, once I tend to visit countries, I quickly cross them off the list.
Israel, UAE, Greece, and Ethiopia also made my “Countries I would like to visit but not to live in” list.

UAE has Dubai which has an interesting surprising cosmopolitan mix for the region it is in, some great modern high-rise architecture, and a coastal desert location. But Dubai seems more like a city to just visit and observe from far away much more than to also live in. Same for UAE as a country in general.

Israel is another surprise for the region it is in. Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and the beaches seem good enough to visit. That is still not enough for me to consider living in that country. Plus, it seems like it is in a rather precarious situation for the stability of that country.

Some people make Greece sound like it is another Somalia. But it is not nearly that bad. At least Greece has Athens, interesting history, and some nice beaches. Other than bad unstable economy, Greece is probably not cosmopolitan enough for me to live there, and just needs a bit more for me to ever consider living in a country such as that.

Are there any particular reasons you want to visit Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan but not Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan?

Whenever I think of Hong Kong, I just consider it part of the country of China, even though it operates on the “One country, two systems” policy.

USA, Japan, China, and Singapore also made my “I enjoy visiting and also to live in” list. Plenty of European and Asian countries were included for that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or