U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 07:04 PM

64 posts, read 370,257 times

Advertisements

Just curious on this random topic... If you got sick traveling overseas, which country and city did you have your "travelers" sickness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 04:40 PM

483 posts, read 1,875,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Maid View Post
Just curious on this random topic... If you got sick traveling overseas, which country and city did you have your "travelers" sickness?
Traveled all over S. America, ate in little hole-in-the-wall places, never got sick
until I returned to NYC and ate a steak. Nearly died.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:24 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,149,758 times
I too have strangely never gotten sick eating abroad thankfully.

*knocks on wood*

Oh man, that would be horrible. Getting sick anyplace other than the comfort of one's own home, with access to your bed, your clean bathroom, your doctor, etc. is just torturous.

I've gotten horribly food-poisoned a few times in the States though, but then again, the odds are stacked against it considering 99% of my life, I've been here.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:19 PM

469 posts, read 2,518,677 times
Never gotten sick, either, not even when I forgot and drank water out of a faucet in Istanbul. Nothing happened, but then, I did grow up with the Mississippi public water system. Whatever was in the water in Turkey probably didn't have a chance against the bacteria already present.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:35 PM

7,139 posts, read 12,892,377 times
Never did overseas, but only ate bread, cheese and wine! Did get very sick in Mexico, a very bad turista bug!

Old 09-30-2007, 10:34 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,491 times
I studied in Ecuador and Peru for several months and spent time in the Dominican Republic. Never had the slightest trouble with sickness. Then this past summer I spent a few months backpacking around Europe. The last week I was there, while camping in Normandy, my tent sprang a leak and soaked every single piece of clothing I had. I had to sleep in wet clothes and then caught a cold. The cold turned into a terrible flu when I got back home and I ended up with ulcers in the back of my throat. I went on anti-biotics to clear up the infection that was causing the ulcers, and proceeded to have a reaction to the pills. I was sick to my stomach for weeks and now my immune system is so out-of-whack that I've averaged one cold every other week since I've been home!

Before going to South America, I was scared to death that I would end up with some crazy sickness. I never imagined that it would be Europe that would give me the deadly plague!

Old 10-01-2007, 03:57 AM

2 posts, read 7,801 times
Last july I went to Acapulco for a 1-week vacation. I stayed at one of those all-inclusive hotels. The hotel I stayed offered lunch by the pool. I ended up ordering a fish along with some vegetables on the side.

After lunch, about 1-hour later I started getting nauseous, dizzy, and real tired. Since I do not drink any alcoholic beverages, and all I had until then was that fish I was pretty sure that the fish was the culprit.

From that moment on my 1-week vacation went downhill. I went to a medical clinic and the Doctor gave me a shot cocktail. The cocktail did not get rid of the bacteria but gave me enough strength to get in a plane back to the US and from there on to the ER.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Maid View Post
The United Kingdom, hands down. I got food poisoning there 3-4 times a year the entire time I was there. The worst was from a hamburger at the TGI Friday's in Leeds...the one near Ikea.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:42 PM

365 posts, read 1,106,339 times
I've been to Mexico several times, eaten from street vendors, from guys barbecuing on the sidewalk, etc., but the only time I ever got sick was when I stayed at one of those big-deal resorts in Cancun. Otherwise, the only time I was really deathly ill from food poisoning was in the US. I was in bed for a solid week.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:32 PM

59 posts, read 320,602 times
United Arab Emirates, from a pizza no less. Got a case of parasites that laid me up for a couple of days. That was a long time ago though, I think 1993. I visited several times that year and ate a wide variety of food-- processed and local --with no problems, so I don't fault the country, I just drew the short straw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or