U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-24-2012, 03:36 PM

12,781 posts, read 9,798,966 times
Default Best Cheap Destinations Around the World

What are some interesting and cheap countries (in terms of hotels/cost of living) to visit?

Includes:

1. English speakers - Does not have to be an English speaking country, simply a country where it is possible to be able to go to a bar and meet a local who speaks English... and one that isn't only trying to sell something.

2. Relatively safe

3. Fairly laid back, no ultra reserved countries where it is against local culture to talk to random people or meet people.

4. Fairly exotic and interesting food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-24-2012, 03:58 PM

13,556 posts, read 3,513,957 times
The cheapest destinations are usually in so-called "Third World Countries" ... Africa, Asia, and South America. If you want to go to a tropical place in the Caribbean, for example, skip Martinique and St. Lucia and head for Haiti or the Dominican Republic.

Some countries are very inexpensive it you get out of the capital city. This is true for places like Malaysia, Thailand, the Philippines, Brazil, and Argentina.

One very inexpensive place I enjoyed is Sri Lanka. Many people, if not most, speak English as this was once part of the British Empire (Ceylon); it is rather safe; and it has a lot of history and interesting architecture. It is "exotic" and because it is a predominantly Buddhist country it is fairly "laid back" although it does not have the exciting nightlife of Hong Kong, Bangkok, or Bali.

Unread 03-24-2012, 04:02 PM

80 posts, read 76,693 times
I'd say Rio de Janeiro meet most of the criteria, although it's getting a little bit more expensive for the last couple of years.......

Unread 03-24-2012, 04:05 PM

332 posts, read 348,942 times
Vietnam.

People speak decent English in the cities.

Southeast Asia is unbeatable for cost. Vietnam is up to 30% cheaper than Thailand.

Amazing beaches

Decent food, good seafood. Definitely some unique stuff.. crazy tropical fruits you've never heard of, etc. even their bananas are way different than the bananas that we get in the US.

Quite safe.. no violent crime, no guns, etc.

Unread 03-24-2012, 04:16 PM

218 posts, read 261,793 times
I agree with Southeast Asia.
My top 3 would be Philippines, Vietnam & Thailand.
Malaysia could be averagely costly, but not too much.
Rooms in Singapore could be the most expensive.

The region has some of the best beaches, mountains, rainforests and volcanoes. And their food is so spectacularly delicious.

Also Southeast Asia is a very diverse region. Each country is unique and has distinct culture.

Visiting Cambodia, Laos & Indonesia aren't bad either.

The region is very used to tourists, so English wouldn't be too much of a problem compare to China or Japan.

Unread 03-24-2012, 04:18 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,508,268 times
If you live in Europe, coming to Fortaleza and the surrounding beach villages is not very expensive. There are direct flights from Lisbon to Fortaleza. But if you live in the USA and Canada, it could be a little difficult to get to here, and a bit expensive too, because there are no direct flights.

Hotels are not that expensive, and also there are some good "pousadas" with very decent service and prices lower than that of the hotels. Some pousadas are owned by Europeans, and have English speaking staff.

I think Fortaleza and surroundings meet all the asked criteria , except for easily finding locals who can speak English. There are many people who speak English, but not that many to make you easily find it at any random bar. But if you go to the CouchSurfing website before your trip, and make some friends in the "Fortaleza" group there, you can have many English speaking people hanging out with you during your stay! Fortaleza's CouchSurfing group is very active, and they have meetings almost every week in some bar or nightclub, mixing locals and tourists.

Unread 03-24-2012, 06:15 PM

12,781 posts, read 9,798,966 times
SE Asia sounds quite promising. I had planned on taking a long trip this summer to Europe, but I'm going to be moving to a new city and my finances aren't going to allow a really long trip in Europe so I'm looking to get a ~1.5-2 week getaway in SE Asia or somewhere that my money can go as far as possible.

Vietnam sounds really cool, what is a good city to fly in to? Ho Chi Minh doesn't look like it will really have any beaches, but is that the best destination if I don't want to be in a place where I can't communicate with anybody?

Also.. about the history with Vietnam... how do the people take to Americans. I am not sure how comfortable I feel about going there, is it something to see or could there be problems in that respect?

Unread 03-24-2012, 06:22 PM

6,267 posts, read 3,684,617 times
Bulgaria. Cheap alcohol also!

Unread 03-24-2012, 06:26 PM

2,667 posts, read 1,947,465 times
Skegness!

Unread 03-24-2012, 06:38 PM

218 posts, read 261,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
SE Asia sounds quite promising. I had planned on taking a long trip this summer to Europe, but I'm going to be moving to a new city and my finances aren't going to allow a really long trip in Europe so I'm looking to get a ~1.5-2 week getaway in SE Asia or somewhere that my money can go as far as possible.

Vietnam sounds really cool, what is a good city to fly in to? Ho Chi Minh doesn't look like it will really have any beaches, but is that the best destination if I don't want to be in a place where I can't communicate with anybody?

Also.. about the history with Vietnam... how do the people take to Americans. I am not sure how comfortable I feel about going there, is it something to see or could there be problems in that respect?
There are alot Vietnamese in the US, and many Americans teach English in Vietnam. You'll be safe, but ofcourse you don't want to rub the war in the people's faces. You could meet some extremist, but very unlikely.

The Northern coast probly has Vietnam's best beaches coz Ha Long Bay is there. You can start at Hanoi then travel down to Ho Chi Minh. Up to you.

For beaches, I suggest Philippines or Thailand tho.
Philippines has one of the most biodiverse diving spots in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World