U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM

720 posts, read 723,736 times
$1m would not go very far here, though i could use the additional income. Is Thailand still as cheap as it once was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 04:09 PM

443 posts, read 397,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Canada..
Canada, so I could visit the US .

Seriously though I have a great admiration for Canada and Canadians and have always wanted to visit...

Old 03-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 3 days ago)

20,807 posts, read 21,666,369 times
Most important, I would have to invest that money VERY WISELY, because today 1M is not much worth in developed countries.
First year or two, I would probably travel a lot, but stay on tight budget. Hopefully I would find a place suitable for longer stay.
I am not worried about languages, if I have to, I would communicate even in Swahili in no time.
If nothing else, I would go to my homeland Poland or Germany and get a part time job, or freelance.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,903,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
$1m would not go very far here, though i could use the additional income. Is Thailand still as cheap as it once was?
no. it isn't expensive but it isn't cheap either. food and apartment and shopping are good value in thailand. entertainment costs are quickly becoming a rip off, among the most expensive in southeast asia.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:44 PM

387 posts, read 277,245 times
I would invest most of that money, but I would want to travel for a year or two and see the world. Then I could see myself settling in New Zealand, Canada, or Malta.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,392,231 times
I'd put 1/2 aside, and spend 500k traveling the world. I'm sure I could travel for a VERY long time on 500k. After that, I'm not sure where I'd settle down if I couldn't come back to the US. Probably Montreal or Vancouver. I don't think I'd like being TOO far away from all my friends and family in the US.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 PM

6,583 posts, read 4,487,177 times
Are people actually being serious when they say "$1million isn't actually much these days or in London etc" most people could only dream of having $1million!

I would stay where I am and buy a house in the docks, get a holiday home in Spain, buy a BMW and live care free and comfortable of the rest.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 AM

508 posts, read 728,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Please tell me this was just a mistake. Also, compared to other cities in Colombia Bogota is not as nice as Medellin, Cali, Pereira, Manizales, etc.
Why would it be a mistake? Bogota is beautiful and I have many friends there. Colombia in general is great. Yes, the cities you mentioned are beautiful too-- I'd consider Medellin and Cali up in the rotation.

My favorite Latin city (other than Panama of course) is Mexico City actually; but the traffic is a killer, so I didn't put that up there.

That being said $1MM wouldn't last me the rest of my life (only in my 20s), so it would be more of an extended vacation/sabbatical. If given the option, I'd invest the money and when I get closer to retirement age, do my 'boat' trip!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 AM

6,006 posts, read 5,090,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
If you were given $1 Million in US Dollars. Which country would you choose to live and why? You can pick any country but USA.
I left without being given the million dollars, so that sort of leaves me out of the contest....and if I'd gotten a million bucks it wouldn't have changed my plans.

It was never about money.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 AM

8,200 posts, read 2,884,414 times
I dont know what i would do... I would hope ik wouldnt go crazy like most do who win this amount!!!

Put the $$$$$ aside and continue living like you always have (Then you will have it when you want it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World