U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you think of (in day-to-day speech):
Mostly USA and Canada. 79 66.95%
Mostly USA, Canada and Mexico. 22 18.64%
Mostly USA, Canada, Mexico and more (eg. includes Caribbean, central America etc.) 17 14.41%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:36 AM

1,404 posts, read 2,372,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

I don't use or hear the term.

agreed, not widely used term here. (You actually hear "North America/ns" more internationally- like in Asia/ Europe/ Aus...and Canadians seem to refer to this collective term more than Americans)

the US just goes by "the US" or "America"- if Canada is included, then "North America"...i wouldnt include Mexico just b/c of the cultural differences despite the geography
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 01:15 AM

3,927 posts, read 3,123,320 times
for me...

North America = USA and Canada

Central America = Every country between the US and Colombia (incl. the Caribbean)

South America = Every country South/East of Panama

Latin America = Central America + South America (Except Belize, Jamaica, The Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Aruba, Dutch Antilles, Suriname, Guyana, Barbados, Trinidad & Tobago)

Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 AM

697 posts, read 602,470 times
Mexico always seemed to belong in South America rather than in North America. It's very different to both the US and Canada, both of which share a lot of similarities.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 AM

3,694 posts, read 5,807,903 times
To be sure, in grade school geography the term includes Mexico, but I also put Canada and the United States. Culturally Mexico is, in most people's minds, part of Latin America .

However, Mexico is now an integral part of North America of because of NAFTA, among other relatively recent developments.

And it will probably remain so in the foreseeable future unless all of a sudden there are popular movements in several major countries that effectively lead to a reversal of globalisation. Though not impossible, highly improbable.

In this context, it is worth mentioning that the US has free-trade agreements with Chile, most Central America and Caribbean countries, and more recently Peru, Colombia, and Panama .

It appears that one result of globalisation so far is that the US is becoming somewhat more like the rest of the world in terms of quality of government, while technologically the rest of the world is becoming more like the US.

On the current path, it appears that we will all meet in a mediocre middle.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 04-02-2012 at 04:29 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 AM

18,255 posts, read 8,317,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenview94602 View Post
I think of North America as the US and Canada. If you just say "America" I think of the USA, even though everyone from North, Central, and South America is an "American." When you say "North America" I see that as a way of wanting to include Canada without saying "The United States and Canada." If you say North America, I assume it atleast has one Canadian connection.

Mexico is kind of different. Its part of Latin America, but it doesn't fit into Central America. Its more North American than Central American. Its not part of the C-4, they use tu instead of vos, and its economy /size is much bigger than all countries between it south to Panama.
No, not really. Just like no one is a "world citizen".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Just wonderin*** I'm so used to the colloquial usage of North America to mean US+Canada or otherwise English-speaking North America though I'm aware geographically it's technically USA, Canada and Mexico and sometimes more. I would say I almost always think of just the US and Canada as "North America" in daily life.
For me, as I learnt it, North America is everything from the northernmost Canadian island to Panama from Cuba to Barbados, culturally speaking North America is Canada + USA, politically speaking, it includes Mexico these days.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 AM

14,050 posts, read 39,328,909 times
Mexico belongs to North America.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:07 AM

3,927 posts, read 3,123,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Mexico belongs to North America.
North America is only for the elite.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:54 AM

458 posts, read 189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Just wondering. I'm so used to the colloquial usage of North America to mean US+Canada or otherwise English-speaking North America though I'm aware geographically it's technically USA, Canada and Mexico and sometimes more. I would say I almost always think of just the US and Canada as "North America" in daily life.
In the United States the term North America pretty much always refers to the United States, Mexico, and Canada. The term I believe you are searching for is "Anglo-America."

When ever the term North American is heard in the United States to try and collectively group people from the United States, Mexico, and Canada together it comes off as extreme propaganda to most Americans just like the term "world citizen".

Last edited by cwa1984; 04-02-2012 at 07:06 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 AM

38,741 posts, read 36,383,228 times
It depends on who I hear saying it, or who I am saying it to, and the context of the conversation. North America means different things to a geographer, a botanist, and archaeologist, a historian, a geologist, an economist, a radical nutcase. a kneejerk Obama-hater, a Panamanian immigrant, a license-plate collector, etcetcetc. You are not going to come out of a discussion with very much understanding, if you personally insist on every word having a single, exact, clear-cut meaning that is inflexible with no fuzzy borders, and you require that everyone else use every word to mean what you want it to mean.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 AM

11,047 posts, read 9,350,482 times
I've heard Northern America for US and Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World