Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the inner city worse than the suburbs?
Yes, I associate "inner city" with negative image, which is seen as worse than "suburbs". 18 24.00%
Somewhat negative image of "inner city" compared to suburbs but not especially so. 13 17.33%
No, there is no difference, or no large positive/negative difference in image between "inner city" and "suburbs" to me. 13 17.33%
No, in fact I associate the "inner city" as actually having a positive image, more than the "suburbs". 31 41.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 04:57 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
It is only showing two project blocks of Clichy sous Bois, one is being demolished.
If you believe that the whole area look like this you are far to the truth.

Quote:
Or ride the RER B out from the Gare du Nord and just look out the window. Witness the graffiti covered half abandoned tower blocks and gypsy shanty towns huddling under bridges.
If you take the closest surrounding of the northern RER B (expecially near la Courneuve or Le Bourget) for the whole northeastern inner suburbs, I understand why you don't know the northeastern suburbs and seem to exagerate.
These areas are industrial wastelands waiting to redevelopment, it is not where people live, South Bronx was residential.
Walk 100m further of the track and you will see the residential areas, while not weathy and not beautiful there are not anything close to 1970 South Bronx.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
In most Canadian cities the absolute richest areas are almost always in the central part of the city, although they do not make up the majority of inner city areas. Aside from the really rich pockets, most of the inner cities in Canada cities range from slightly poor to lower middle class.

Suburban areas of Canadian cities are where you find most of the middle-middle class and also the upper middle class. There are some really rich people and also poor people there but these are small groups relative to the average middle class which is very dominant in the suburbs.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
In Boston the main core of the city is basically for higher income families. Basically all the old "ethnic" and affordable pockets of the main core (Chinatown, Little Italy, Southie and Charlestown) are gentrified. Yes you still do have affordable housing projects, but they are right next to luxury buildings and brownstones for the most part.

The rougher parts of Dorchester and Roxbury which are lower income (Both neighborhoods have nice parts as well) are separated from the main core.

Keep in mind the Boston area has the 3rd highest housing prices in the nation after NYC and SF so it is inevitable that those with lower incomes are pushed out to the outer and inner suburb areas and towns. Even in my neighborhood across the River in Cambridge (Kendall Square) according to rentjuice.com the average rental costs are over $2700.00/per month (Survey: Cambridge's Kendall Square Has Boston Area's Highest Average Rent « CBS Boston)

Of course you also have extremely wealthy suburbs around Boston like Wellesley, Brookline, Newton and Weston where the median household income is around 175k/yr.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:03 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
This is only in relation to the words "inner city", because I have a positive viewpoint of both "the city" and "suburbs". I live in the chicago area, and I generally think of "inner city" as the worst parts of the city. I am not sure why I have that distinction in my mind, and I can't think of the last time I used the words "inner city", but I have a negative view of that. But, if someone said, "I live in 'the city'", I wouldn't have a negative view of that. Also, the word "exurb" I have a negative view of...basically partially farm land, partially residential (probably half developed), rural, and really long commutes.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 AM

594 posts, read 1,633,812 times
In Boston living in the city is pretty expensive. The outskirts of the urban area are the cheaper places to live and generally have more drugs and crime problems than the city proper.

At the moment I'm living in Santiago, Chile and here it kind of depends on your area. There are some parts of the city that are highly urbane and consist of ritzy high rises and rich people, but you can go a few blocks over and it will be public housing and kind of a more dangerous area. You can't really make any judgments like this about Santiago at the moment because it's a city that it is in transition.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
In the Brazilian cities, the suburbs, called "periferia", are the place where poor people live.

Upper middle class people mostly live in the inner city. In most Brazilian cities, the "inner city" is full of upper middle class residential condos, that are highrises with 14 or more storeys.

In the last few decades, some upper class gated communities started to appear in the suburbs of Brazilian cities. But most upper class people still live in the inner city. And most of the suburbs are lower class neighborhoods.

Some examples:

Rio de Janeiro - Copacabana is an inner city upper middle class neighborhood. Bangu is a suburb for lower middle class.

São Paulo - Moema is an inner city upper middle class neighborhood. São Miguel Paulista is a suburb for lower middle class.

Fortaleza - Aldeota is an inner city upper middle class neighborhood. Henrique Jorge is a suburb for lower middle class.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
It is only showing two project blocks of Clichy sous Bois, one is being demolished.
If you believe that the whole area look like this you are far to the truth.

If you take the closest surrounding of the northern RER B (expecially near la Courneuve or Le Bourget) for the whole northeastern inner suburbs, I understand why you don't know the northeastern suburbs and seem to exagerate.
These areas are industrial wastelands waiting to redevelopment, it is not where people live, South Bronx was residential.
Walk 100m further of the track and you will see the residential areas, while not weathy and not beautiful there are not anything close to 1970 South Bronx.
OK, perhaps I was being a bit dramatic with my 1970s South Bronx comment. I neither alive nor in the South Bronx in 1970. Nor do I know the northern suburbs of Paris well my obsevations are indeed based on the view from the RER B

However, you must agree the deprivation and the shanty towns between la Courneuve and Le Bourget are pretty shocking. You'd be hard pressed to find that anywhere in the English-speaking world; despite the suposedly stingier welfare state..

Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
However, you must agree the deprivation and the shanty towns between la Courneuve and Le Bourget are pretty shocking. You'd be hard pressed to find that anywhere in the English-speaking world; despite the suposedly stingier welfare state..
Hmm, last time I checked the United States of America is part of the English-speaking world. Ever been to the southern Missisippi River valley? Appalachia? Inner city Detroit?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Oslo, Norway: inner-city apartments are expensive. Expect to pay more than $350,000 for a one-bedroom apartment in Eastern Oslo. In the Western part it is way more expensive ($420,000+).

The less desirable areas in Oslo are suburbs, places like Haugenstua, Furuset and Holmlia.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
No, the inner city is the best part: beautiful old buildings, many shops, lots of activity. It is also more expensive though As a student I think I'd get bored more easily in the suburbs but if I had a family (with children) I think I'd prefer living in the suburbs.

I live in Maastricht btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World