Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:18 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I supposed it would be comparable to Europeans never having heard of

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Branson, Missouri
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Yosemite, California.
Never heard of Antalya but I've heard of Myrtle Beach and Yosemite.

Anyway there's a difference between people using the airport being counted as visitors and people staying overnight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 02:39 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Turkish beaches are also popular with tourists from the Balkans, Albania, and parts of eastern Europe and the former USSR. It's actually a lot cheaper much of the time for someone from a country like Bulgaria to buy a package stay at a Turkish resort than to visit/stay on Bulgaria's own Black Sea coastline. Other coastal resorts like the ones in Croatia have increased a lot in price over the years, which pushes people toward Turkey.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 849 times
i live in antalya for over 15 years.for me its not a surprise to see that result.antalya was already top destinations for Europeans mostly Germans ,England English and Russians.there are over 200 five star hotels and most were chosen as the best hotels in the world.many historical places,(including where famous mathematician thalesis was born,aspendos theathre ,demre or kaleiçi known as old city , castles were made to honor the commander rome empire of egypt who felt in love with kleopatra ,also known from gladiator movie. ) long dandy beaches with blue sea and rain forests are attractive for most of tourists ..

Old 03-09-2015, 09:04 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
Its a hot-spot for trashy, lower-class Europeans (primarily Germans, Russians and Brits)
Oi! I've holidayed in that area 3 times! And its a great place to visit so stick that in your pipe and smoke it! :-D

Old 03-10-2015, 08:00 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
I've heard of Antalya but know little about it other than it's on Turkey's southern coast and is protected from severe cold by Turkey's central mountain range. I can see why people go there for the weather but I'm surprised it sees that many tourists.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:35 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I've been to Antalya, Turkey. I give it a resounding 'meh'.
I thought it was quite nice. The old town area is pretty, and there are plenty of interesting historical sites in the city and especially in the surrounding area (Perge, Xanthos, Olimpos, Kalkan, Kaş etc.). But then I stayed right in Antalya, as opposed to one of the sterile beach resorts, and I rented a car so I could explore some of the backcountry.

But then this was 10 years ago, so maybe it's a lot more crowded now, I don't know.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:09 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Hmmmm...

So, that shows that being a popular tourist destination is not enough to turn a city into a world wide "famous" city.

Antalya is definitely not a "famous" city, at least not world wide famous...

Old 03-11-2015, 12:48 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
I've been wanting to go to Turkey for a while now (especially after reading a couple novels based in Turkey). The country itself has more of an appeal to me than some European favorites like France and Italy. I don't know...perhaps because I know very little about it in comparison. I've had a few Mexican friends who have gone, and they told me that they were often mistaken for locals (I guess since a lot of us Mexicans have a West Asian look to us).

Either way, I would not have called Antalya...my destination of choice in Turkey is Istanbul.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:07 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
I never heard of it until now.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I've been there, but only drove through, it wasn't even an overnight stop. Just another Turkish city along the way, nothing I remember about it. I think my overnight stop was in Burdur, its easier to make stops in smaller cities when traveling by car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World