U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-19-2012, 11:53 PM
 
199 posts, read 258,107 times
Reputation: 120

Advertisements

I have lived in the west indies for much of my life and i can get by in Haiti and Jamaica on 1100 -1500 US a month and live a middle class life style by local standards but it is not easy.
I was wondering what countries you could live on that amount and maintain a decent lifestyle or even a more upper class lifestyle with that kind of budget.
i heard Thailand, vietnam, loas, it is possible to do well on that budget.
anyone have any feedback?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 AM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
21,602 posts, read 23,736,558 times
Reputation: 51878
Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Malta, Uruguay, Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, Laos, Nepal ...
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums: Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating.
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 AM
 
199 posts, read 258,107 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Malta, Uruguay, Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, Laos, Nepal ...
i have friends in costa rica and Nepal. my friends in costa rica said i could get by but it would be very hard to and it would need to be in a rural area.
my friends in Nepal think that budget would be fine though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 05:34 AM
 
Location: rain city
2,654 posts, read 7,327,813 times
Reputation: 3682
So how do you get this American budget while living in Nepal?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 AM
 
199 posts, read 258,107 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
So how do you get this American budget while living in Nepal?
many ways. you can own a business and sell or make a joint merger with someone and take a percentage of the profits per year or month.
If you work in the music business nd yo uget paid a point off a record that is doing well or several records.
many retires take there pensions or social security money and live abroad.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,755 posts, read 39,181,351 times
Reputation: 28892
Probably India, but also Indonesia, Philippines. Honduras, Bolivia. Maybe Tanzania or Ghana, but Africa is expensive.

Depends on what you mean by "live". If you are willing to live with only the requirement of secure and private housing, and a basic but nutritious local diet, your country choices would be very different than if you needed to live according to standards you are accustomed to in the West, in a modern house with climate control and amenities, and a western style cuisine. If you want a modern house with a big garden near a beach, a car, and American style dining, and enjoy night life and cable TV, the USA is probably the cheapest country in the world to live like that.

In any of the countries I listed, you can live safely as a single person on about $4,000 a year, or a couple for maybe $6,000. If you can save up a year's wages in the US (say $40,000), you can finance yourself there for quite a few years, enough to either discover that it's not what you want to do, or make connections in-country to sustain yourself there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 03:31 PM
 
199 posts, read 258,107 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Probably India, but also Indonesia, Philippines. Honduras, Bolivia. Maybe Tanzania or Ghana, but Africa is expensive.

Depends on what you mean by "live". If you are willing to live with only the requirement of secure and private housing, and a basic but nutritious local diet, your country choices would be very different than if you needed to live according to standards you are accustomed to in the West, in a modern house with climate control and amenities, and a western style cuisine. If you want a modern house with a big garden near a beach, a car, and American style dining, and enjoy night life and cable TV, the USA is probably the cheapest country in the world to live like that.

In any of the countries I listed, you can live safely as a single person on about $4,000 a year, or a couple for maybe $6,000. If you can save up a year's wages in the US (say $40,000), you can finance yourself there for quite a few years, enough to either discover that it's not what you want to do, or make connections in-country to sustain yourself there.
Like i said i have lived in the west indies most of my life in the middle class by local standards.
live to me means you have a decent home/apartment with electrical current, running water, healthy food, transportation, medical care, and possibility for small business. i do not need the luxury most western people live with.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 PM
 
1 posts, read 16,400 times
Reputation: 11
Blan, you can try next door: the Dominican Republic. You'll live a good life on $1000 a month budget.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 AM
 
16,644 posts, read 13,902,136 times
Reputation: 6742
I think Ecuador or Thailand would fit your budget.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 10:19 PM
 
9,100 posts, read 12,598,898 times
Reputation: 4033
[quote=Chava61;24891806]I think Ecuador or Thailand would fit your budget.[/

http://www.naturalnews.com/029566_Ec...etirement.html
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top