U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2012, 11:17 AM
 
190 posts, read 295,032 times
Reputation: 210

Advertisements

The US has 2 major negatives that make living less exciting than it may be in European cities. One has been discussed enough already, the poor urban planning. It looks like many cities are heading in the right direction though in terms of making them more livable as opposed to places some people commute to from their suburban home for work.

The other problem only seems to be getting worse, though some cities are better than others. That's the problem with large chains. Manhattan is essentially a giant shopping mall now, with each neighborhood offering the same chain shops, the same shops you'll find in most malls across America. The only saving grace for NYC right now is its suburbs (which are more like European suburbs, not closed off car-oriented neighborhoods), which still has many local shops and less chains. Most cities in the US have the same problem, all the same chains are everywhere. One exception I can think of is Portland and possibly San Francisco away from the downtown area.

That said, the US is huge and offers quite a lot of variety in terms of people, regional cuisine, weather, topography, and nature. So, I can't agree that the US as a whole is boring, but on a local level, many US cities certainly can be.

 
Old 04-22-2012, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Hell
192 posts, read 343,230 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post
The US has 2 major negatives that make living less exciting than it may be in European cities. One has been discussed enough already, the poor urban planning. It looks like many cities are heading in the right direction though in terms of making them more livable as opposed to places some people commute to from their suburban home for work.

The other problem only seems to be getting worse, though some cities are better than others. That's the problem with large chains. Manhattan is essentially a giant shopping mall now, with each neighborhood offering the same chain shops, the same shops you'll find in most malls across America. The only saving grace for NYC right now is its suburbs (which are more like European suburbs, not closed off car-oriented neighborhoods), which still has many local shops and less chains. Most cities in the US have the same problem, all the same chains are everywhere. One exception I can think of is Portland and possibly San Francisco away from the downtown area.

That said, the US is huge and offers quite a lot of variety in terms of people, regional cuisine, weather, topography, and nature. So, I can't agree that the US as a whole is boring, but on a local level, many US cities certainly can be.
I agree with everything you said except for the large retail/corporate chains to some extent. The chains are lifeless and bland architecturally. But I spend most of my shopping at these chains because they are much cheaper than the local shops. The solution for this problem would be redesign the lifeless bland architecture of these chains. So think of a Walmart with art-deco architecture in New York. I go to local stores if I can't find the things I need from these mega-shops.
 
Old 04-22-2012, 11:26 AM
 
Location: PA
19,101 posts, read 9,444,937 times
Reputation: 8092
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
Yep, you are right there my friend! I saw that same documentary at PBS, public television. Othewise, the U.S. would have a miles and miles of high speed railways and bullet trains littered all over the US.

The U.S. capital of Car Culture, Los Angeles, California could have monorails all over if it weren't for those lobbies in the 50's. In fact, the same corporation that built the Seattle monorail offered to pay for ALL construction and materials of monorail tracks in LA. Furthermore, Angelinos would ride the miles of 'light rail' that littered the city of angels before the 50's.

And yes, I agree. Things are changing to dependence on public transport due to the high gas prices and stagnant wages in the 'not really' boring USA.
You must be a railfan or something. Not even Japan, the only country in the world where train use is at its highest, has a very high amount of car usage. France, quite possibly the 2nd most train using country, loses money on high speed rail and needs government subsidies to keep it afloat. There didn't need to be lobbying in the 50s. The only thing that happened was that it accelerated the inevitable. When most people could afford cars, that's when they started to branch out. Would have happened with or without the lobbying you describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Americans are proud of their conformism and lack of imagination.
So, what ideas do you have? Be more like Europe? Oh yes, Eurovision is the ultimate inspiration for culture! In case you haven't noticed, there is no distinct culture anymore in the West. What is this culture you imply we should have more of? Western culture is ruled by the Justin Biebers of the world, and Hollywood (though why do you criticize them, most of Hollywood shares almost all, or all of, your political views anyway) haven't you noticed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I just don't get it JTur!!

You really want people to do whatever they want to in state parks??

You really want unregulated taxis??? With no safety standards??

Unregulated gas pumps????

What's the difference between your "total freedom" ideal and third world countries where gangs and thugs take over for the government??

Would you like to live in Somalia- I hear they're pretty unregulated and pirates have free reign......
If I had a penny everytime I heard a reference of Somalia as an excuse to not have onerous regulations choking us, I'd be as rich as Warren Buffet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Man, sarcasm is really hard to convey over the internets.
I agree. Too many people on here need to chill for a moment
 
Old 04-22-2012, 11:26 AM
 
935 posts, read 851,665 times
Reputation: 2176
In January 2012, 4.5 million international visitors traveled to the United States, a seven percent increase over January 2011. ---why do so many want to visit such a boring place?
The 2nd most popular tourist destination in the world is the US.
The # 3 city that gets the most tourists in the world? New York
Oh! and what's the most popular stop? Times Square.

What may be boring to you is fascinating to someone else. I live in a tourist destination - to me - been there, done that, ho-hum.

BTW
Quote:
or the strip of tape on the floor that you have to stand behind while waiting to pick up your prescription at the drug store..
I believe it's for privacy. Who wants some nosy parker peering over their shoulder?
 
Old 04-22-2012, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Hell
192 posts, read 343,230 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You must be a railfan or something. Not even Japan, the only country in the world where train use is at its highest, has a very high amount of car usage. France, quite possibly the 2nd most train using country, loses money on high speed rail and needs government subsidies to keep it afloat. There didn't need to be lobbying in the 50s. The only thing that happened was that it accelerated the inevitable. When most people could afford cars, that's when they started to branch out. Would have happened with or without the lobbying you describe.

....

I agree. Too many people on here need to chill for a moment
I wouldn't care less about the economics of high speed rail, I just enjoy riding a choo choo train.

I supposed you'd still enjoy riding your gas guzzling hummer till the last oil on earth disappears.

I'm chill .
 
Old 04-22-2012, 12:07 PM
 
Location: PA
19,101 posts, read 9,444,937 times
Reputation: 8092
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
I wouldn't care less about the economics of high speed rail, I just enjoy riding a choo choo train.

I supposed you'd still enjoy riding your gas guzzling hummer till the last oil on earth disappears.

I'm chill .
Exactly. Rail is a moneyhole, and an antiquated form of transportation that is useful only for freight, not passengers. Much more economical building luxurious coaches than trains that are limited in where you can go. In this world, economics is everything. The general public does not want their money going to boondoggles like high speed rail, especially if their country does not have the population density of Japan or China.

I don't own a Hummer, or even an SUV for that matter. I own a subcompact with a puny 1.5L 4-cyl engine paired with a manual transmission. So much for stereotyping me
 
Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Quakertown, Pa
2 posts, read 1,299 times
Reputation: 11
I used to live in China as an expat, there is 5000 years of history but, the main cities are the same as here, but when I returned to the good old USA, I found her cities and country side lacking in something, I think it's the culture we're missing, we don't hold with what our great grand parents did, we don't remember the old ways anymore, if we did it would be so interesting here in the States......JMHO
 
Old 04-22-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Hell
192 posts, read 343,230 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Exactly. Rail is a moneyhole, and an antiquated form of transportation that is useful only for freight, not passengers. Much more economical building luxurious coaches than trains that are limited in where you can go. In this world, economics is everything. The general public does not want their money going to boondoggles like high speed rail, especially if their country does not have the population density of Japan or China.

I don't own a Hummer, or even an SUV for that matter. I own a subcompact with a puny 1.5L 4-cyl engine paired with a manual transmission. So much for stereotyping me
Chill out! So you'd rather ride a puny subsidized oil (at least in the U.S) powered vehicle than ride a subsidized choo choo train? ok, I get it.

Here in the US, more and more passengers ride the choo choo train the last several years . Even in my home state of Arizona ( yes, that ultra conservative right wing nut US state ) is considering building a high speed rail system. In fact, my hometown of Tucson, AZ , is currently building a light rail system. Phoenix, AZ HAS a light rail system. Arizona isn't dense either.

Oil may not be a boondoogle now but it will be when it runs out. A solar powered high speed train has also been proposed.
 
Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 PM
 
355 posts, read 552,676 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Whatever bro, Europe wouldn't even have a history anymore if America didn't come and save it's ass during WW2!

USA! USA! USA!


Tell them that to the inhabitants of Dresden. Hell, they did not saved us and we have a history.
 
Old 04-22-2012, 12:43 PM
 
Location: PA
19,101 posts, read 9,444,937 times
Reputation: 8092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Tell them that to the inhabitants of Dresden. Hell, they did not saved us and we have a history.
He was being sarcastic, lol. His post was not meant to be taken seriously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:18 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top