U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:53 PM

7,515 posts, read 8,105,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Personally I've never heard of tea or yoghurt being feminine.
Yoghurt and tea aren't like playing with dolls or wearing your hair long and curly, things that society views as unacceptable for males. They are acceptable for males to consume, but they are marketed primarily to women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 PM

27,052 posts, read 22,475,325 times
Quote:
Maybe not, but it is typically marketed towards women, and often seems feminine to many people.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Yoghurt and tea aren't like playing with dolls or wearing your hair long and curly, things that society views as unacceptable for males. They are acceptable for males to consume, but they are marketed primarily to women.
That is another point to bring up. It is acceptable for a man to eat yogurt. However, it isn't seen as a manly thing to eat. Stuff like steak is considered manly foods to eay. At least that is what I often see in the USA. In Argentina, steak is seen as something everyone eats, because it's a staple in Argentina, being one of the largest producers of beef in the world. Actually, it could depend on which part of the USA one might be in. I imagine steak might be seen as a food for everyone in Texas.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 PM

24,693 posts, read 19,060,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is another point to bring up. It is acceptable for a man to eat yogurt. However, it isn't seen as a manly thing to eat. Stuff like steak is considered manly foods to eay. At least that is what I often see in the USA. In Argentina, steak is seen as something everyone eats, because it's a staple in Argentina, being one of the largest producers of beef in the world. Actually, it could depend on which part of the USA one might be in. I imagine steak might be seen as a food for everyone in Texas.
Yes I mean while yoghurt might be associated with women and steak with men, in real life people don't like 'oh I won't eat that, that's a male/female food.' Women still eat steak and men still eat yoghurt without giving it a thought.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Yes I mean while yoghurt might be associated with women and steak with men, in real life people don't like 'oh I won't eat that, that's a male/female food.' Women still eat steak and men still eat yoghurt without giving it a thought.
True. As a kid I was always the one eating all of the yogurt. Same with tea. In fact, I'm brewing some green tea now.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:44 PM

24,693 posts, read 19,060,511 times
Quote:
True. As a kid I was always the one eating all of the yogurt. Same with tea. In fact, I'm brewing some green tea now.
I assume the feminine/tea thing only applies to hot tea out of little tea cups?

Like I don't imagine cold iced tea is seen as feminine in the South, is it.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I assume the feminine/tea thing only applies to hot tea out of little tea cups?

Like I don't imagine cold iced tea is seen as feminine in the South, is it.
Iced tea isn't considered feminine in the South. What I'm thinking of is some of the commercials I saw as a child.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,933,185 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm starting to notice a pattern here. Some things that are seen as feminine are often things that are more middle-upper class things and many things that are perceived as masculine are sometimes associated with the working class, at least in the USA.
Quote:
Europeans are just generally more sophisticated and refined so it would follow they do not see those things as 'feminine' but just cultured.
Well, a large part of that is that many things were associated with the aristocracy back in the UK/Europe/Old World, and USA never had an aristocracy.

Since American culture was shaped in part by wanting to leave behind the seen-as-antiquated and backward habits of the Old World and create a new society "from the ground up", many things associated with the old upper class were discarded.

In a sense, a lot of the things associated with aristocrats are associated with people who don't need to work with their hands, in the dirt etc. (eg. those who have time for fancy ceremonies, and clothing, unrelated to practical concerns) and that's another thing that would have been disdained in a country of pioneers/settlers in a new country like the United States.

Quote:

Female foods: Yogurt (again, from the marketing)
Quote:
Quote:
I've never drawn any association of tea with gender at all before reading posts in this thread. I associate it with culture but not gender.

I have though picked up on an association of yogurt with women but even that's something that I felt I noticed, or at least felt like I noticed recently, in particular because of the marketing of Activia brand yogurt (by the Danone company) towards women, as a health food. When I was younger, I don't think I picked up on any association.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:51 AM

697 posts, read 643,241 times
I don't really associate many foods with gender, I associate some foods with specific cultures and some foods with obesity. I don't eat fast foods and I am a bit of a health food nut. In fact I am very picky about what I eat.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM

4,860 posts, read 3,081,287 times
drinking beer out of a bottle instead of a pint glass is seen as somewhat feminine in ireland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World