Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's true, isn't it.

Feminine = dainty, refined

Masculine = rough, earthy, coarse

Beer ads definitely still target men - even though plenty of women enjoy beer. I notice the more 'feminine' women often say they don't like beer so I don't think it has anything to do with taste. Same goes with the idea that women like chocolate more than men. Anything sweet is seen as 'nice' and 'feminine.' Tea parties are 'nice', little China tea-cups and tea-pots are 'pretty', not something a 'real man' would be seen being a part of.

Europeans are just generally more sophisticated and refined so it would follow they do not see those things as 'feminine' but just cultured.

its interesting that while masculinity in anglo countrys is defined more traditionally , women in anglo countrys are the opposite and more masculine , its less apparent in the usa but in the uk , new zealand and australia , women are nowhere near as lady like as women in spain , italy , france and are like a different species compared to women in oriental countries , i dont refer to islamic countries because women there are opressed or at least supressed , women in protestant countries tend to be quite coarse and agressive , british women nowadays drink , screw , swear and behave almost identical to men , anyone who has ever been to rural australia or especially rural new zealand will know that women farmers - ranchers are every bit as common as male ranchers , they also dress like men , in the entire year i spent in new zealand , i never once saw a woman in a dress and saw more than i could count wearing wellinton boots , blue jeans and cheque shirts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 05:31 AM

983 posts, read 3,598,720 times
Default (wo)men

"
In relatively large parts of the world including Southeast Asia, South Asia, West Asia and Africa, men holding hands or even walking arm in arm doesn't carry any sexual connotation.

I was in Istanbul last year with two male German friends, visiting a German friend who was living there. We ended up walking arm in arm ourselves because:
° it was so normal, and
° it was so d#mn cold (we were there in February).

It is kind of sad how homophobic Anglo societies can be. And by that I don't only mean primarily the violent homophobia, but also the fear of looking gay or that others might think you're gay.

"

"
I also noticed that when I was in France. Guys greeted each other with a kiss (where I was it was three kisses each).

Quote from the Bible:
"All the brothers here send you greetings. Greet one another with a holy kiss. "
I Corinthians 16
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
True. However, in some societies, any kind of affection between two men is taken in a sexual context.
I agree.
With Anglo societies being amongst the most "allergic" to affection between two men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
british women nowadays drink , screw , swear and behave almost identical to men
I've noticed that too. Though we still don't hear a guy called a sl*t when he's screwing a lot of girls or women.
Also, even if women are screwing with other women at the same rate as men do with other men, the female version is still much more acceptable, if not even encouraged, whereas the male version is [I'll let you fill in the blank yourselves ].

Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,795,020 times
I'll add something to this thread: scarves. Scarves seem to have had an odd transition in my culture.

Fifteen or twenty years ago, while there is definitely a gender coding in scarves in terms of acceptable color and material, both men and women wore them about equally in cold weather. These days scarves seem to be worn almost exclusively by women and gay men, and except for the very old, I never see a straight man wearing one here in cold weather.

This hasn't been true in any other culture I've experienced, and wasn't true when I was a kid here. It's kind of odd.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 PM

692 posts, read 1,355,354 times
Quote:
drinking beer out of a bottle instead of a pint glass is seen as somewhat feminine in ireland
It depends on the area you are from, when I was last in Newcastle loads of Geordies drank Brown Ale straight from the bottle and often straight down in one go. It was not seen as feminine. It just depends when you come from.

Last edited by Mulhall; 05-05-2012 at 02:44 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 05:10 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post

How many of you think the chick interviewing is both disrespectful and douchey? Seriously, she's in a foreign country with a very different culture (the Arab world) and she's questioning their long-standing customs, making them self-conscious, and then commenting on it in an almost mocking manner.

It IS far more physical than what you will see anywhere in Europe, but still...

And then you wonder how phrases like "the ugly American" were coined.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
its interesting that while masculinity in anglo countrys is defined more traditionally , women in anglo countrys are the opposite and more masculine , its less apparent in the usa but in the uk , new zealand and australia , women are nowhere near as lady like as women in spain , italy , france and are like a different species compared to women in oriental countries , i dont refer to islamic countries because women there are opressed or at least supressed , women in protestant countries tend to be quite coarse and agressive , british women nowadays drink , screw , swear and behave almost identical to men , anyone who has ever been to rural australia or especially rural new zealand will know that women farmers - ranchers are every bit as common as male ranchers , they also dress like men , in the entire year i spent in new zealand , i never once saw a woman in a dress and saw more than i could count wearing wellinton boots , blue jeans and cheque shirts
So what are women like in Ireland? Like they are in the UK?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Women in Oz do wear dresses more than Kiwi girls, I think, but just dressing like a lady doesn't mean you are/act like one. NZ is one of the most gender-equal nations on earth, so that is no surprise. We have many ladies who work the land and I say good on em.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:47 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Women in Oz do wear dresses more than Kiwi girls, I think, but just dressing like a lady doesn't mean you are/act like one.
Maybe it's just the climate? New Zealand has cooler weather year-round and dresses are very much summer clothing (not much insulation).

Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Maybe it's just the climate? New Zealand has cooler weather year-round and dresses are very much summer clothing (not much insulation).
Yes, partly, but NZ women are also stereotyped as being 'frumpy' dressers.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
How many of you think the chick interviewing is both disrespectful and douchey? Seriously, she's in a foreign country with a very different culture (the Arab world) and she's questioning their long-standing customs, making them self-conscious, and then commenting on it in an almost mocking manner.

It IS far more physical than what you will see anywhere in Europe, but still...

And then you wonder how phrases like "the ugly American" were coined.
I don't think she was too bad...

But yeah, holding hands is just a sign of friendship, it doesn't even feel sexual to me at all. When I met my Burmese friend last year she was holding my hand a lot, and it did cross my mind whether she liked me a bit, but I was mistaken. It was more a cultural thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World