Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:34 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I sometimes forget I'm in NJ. Maybe my whole perspective is skewed because of it. Maybe there are other states that are really cool and down-to-earth?
I find that people are generally more laid back and less insular/hostile the further west you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Before your move, think about the following.

Maybe get involved in Buddhism, or if you are, get more involved. You have referenced this twice, so it appears you have an affinity towards that. There are Buddhist areas in the US you could also try, and may not be as difficult to stick around.

Are you already fluent in Japanese or have you spent significant time there? If not, maybe a short term visit (few monhs) may be helpful in understanding. One thing I have found when gaining understanding of various cultures, I have a much more positive view of the country until I understand enough to watch daily news or read newspapers, then things get messy. People are messy.

I personally don't care what your choice is , as I don't know you, but there may be things to think about or do that may help.
You definitely make sense. The more knowledge and experience you acquire about a place, the more your image of it changes and evolves. So I can't disagree there. Familiarity breeds contempt.

"People are messy".

If that's true, and I think you might be right, what hope is there for contentment with other people?

I think once you decide to allow people in your life, it just becomes a choice of who you will be most happy being unhappy with.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:46 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I wish I knew the answers as I'd consider moving to such a place myself. I am contemplating moving to one of the Nordic countries someday. I think that in general, Anglosphere cultures are not for me.
My only objection to that is giving it a racial designation over a cultural one. I know it's not intended on your part and know what you mean, but you'll get a lot more milage out of that if you frame it with a cultural designation instead. Because, after all, if you say "I like African culture" that can imply anyone who adopts and accepts that culture. It's racially inclusive. A white person can adopt African culture or Japanese culture or Mexican culture. It doesn't exclude people by race.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't have time to write novels about what's wrong here...
How about giving us the Reader's Digest Condensed Books version then?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:41 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
I think once you decide to allow people in your life, it just becomes a choice of who you will be most happy being unhappy with.
Well, I think I understand what you are saying, and I think it is along the same lines as I was saying, but to be clear this was my point...no group of people are perfect, you just try to find people that bring you more happiness than unhappiness. We all have needs and wants, it is satisfying those things in a way that everyone is happy.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:02 PM

733 posts, read 1,663,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
True. But the big bully to your south still has way too much influence.
And fiscal debt.

Do we have to turn this into a US vs. Canada issue? I don't have time for that.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
True. But the big bully to your south still has way too much influence.
Ya think anyone in Montreal thinks about the USA??? LOL. Just the old ones who think about their own little Canadian ghettos in Florida come Dec.
To the OP. Go to Montreal for a long weekend. It's nothing like the USA in any respect at all. I have always found the people there extremely friendly and the culture very interesting.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:16 PM

212 posts, read 400,137 times
Quote:
Where can I go where people are the least troublesome to one another?
Or go to somewhere nobody is around you? I guess that is a better option!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Ya think anyone in Montreal thinks about the USA??? LOL. Just the old ones who think about their own little Canadian ghettos in Florida come Dec.
To the OP. Go to Montreal for a long weekend. It's nothing like the USA in any respect at all. I have always found the people there extremely friendly and the culture very interesting.
I love Montreal. LOVE IT. I come from the sunny tier of the US and, if I was younger and not as tied down, I'd learn to love shoveling snow to live there. What a fascinating place. There are so many kinds of people from all over the world and the Quebecois are generally outgoing, much more so than the French, and are especially nice if you speak French.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
If you like being around lots and lots and lots of old people, let Japan be your ticket! With a 1.2 fertility rate, and with the population projected to dwindle from 120M to 80M by 2050, there'll be lots of vacant houses, condo's, apartments to choose from and set up shop in some nearly empty shopping plaza!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World