U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 AM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
5,445 posts, read 8,124,678 times
Reputation: 3703

Advertisements

Not sure if this should go in this forum or the Education forum (mods, feel free to move if it's the case.)

From my experience, in Chinese culture, graduating from a prestigious university and/or having a prestigious degree (i.e. PhD) plays a much greater role in defining a person's "success" than in the US.

Any examples of other cultures around the world where the pursuit of higher education for the sake of higher education is held in high regard?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 AM
 
14,754 posts, read 21,537,937 times
Reputation: 8466
The US. Just look at the constant ranking of universities across a myriad of fields. We are bombarded with these rankings and the "mystique" of certain schools.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
7,090 posts, read 7,167,700 times
Reputation: 3693
Japan and South Korea for sure.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 03:40 AM
 
5,310 posts, read 7,723,869 times
Reputation: 2759
Countries that seem to place the highest value on educational credentials and attainment: China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, USA, France, UK, Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany, Canada, Australia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Austria, Belgium.

Educational attainment in some ways is not easily measured. Yes, college/university and schooling is one easy method to measure it, but it is not the only way as people can educate themselves and stimulate themselves intellectually in other ways outside of their schooling in other aspects of their lives.

In some cases, some people do very well in school, and still may show lack of intelligence for some important topics. And then others may not do as well in school, and they can still show high quality intelligence and insight on some important topics.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 04-25-2012 at 03:52 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 AM
 
5,300 posts, read 5,148,739 times
Reputation: 3117
the usa as a whole does not place that high a value on education , if it did it would not be so prohibitivley expensive and the idea of inteligent design would not have got past the pages of MAD magazine , only a minority go to world class universitys , america is quite anti intelectual

i would say israel places a lot of emphasis on education credentials , knowledge is hugely important jewish cultural trait

germany aswell , nearly all germans can speak more than one language and they excel in the sciences , they are a very well read people when it comes to foreign cultures
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 05:16 AM
 
5,300 posts, read 5,148,739 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Countries that seem to place the highest value on educational credentials and attainment: China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, USA, France, UK, Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany, Canada, Australia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Austria, Belgium.

Educational attainment in some ways is not easily measured. Yes, college/university and schooling is one easy method to measure it, but it is not the only way as people can educate themselves and stimulate themselves intellectually in other ways outside of their schooling in other aspects of their lives.

In some cases, some people do very well in school, and still may show lack of intelligence for some important topics. And then others may not do as well in school, and they can still show high quality intelligence and insight on some important topics.
you can exclude the uk , thier education system is nothing special , its quite an anti intelectual place aswel, the popularity of the murdoch media is proof of this
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Relaxing in Charlottesville
14,747 posts, read 15,200,795 times
Reputation: 5760
Quote:
The US. Just look at the constant ranking of universities across a myriad of fields.
But not with American born students. Most classes at or above MA/MS are filled by more than half of students from outside the US.

Quote:
i would say israel places a lot of emphasis on education credentials , knowledge is hugely important jewish cultural trait
They understand the value of the title and its upward stepping stones.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
48,353 posts, read 37,116,857 times
Reputation: 37506
Very interesting discussion.

Education, attaining higher education, is very important in Zimbabwe culture. Unfortunately, due to the train wreck of a government, there's not much opportunity right now. Those who can, get out, and get educations in Europe or the US. But then the question is, what can they do with it? Jobs are available back home only if one has political connections. So people remain stranded in the countries where they got their education.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Toronto
3,338 posts, read 4,261,801 times
Reputation: 2311
I'd imagine most developing countries value it as a stepping stone to getting a good job and lifting themselves out of poverty.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 AM
 
255 posts, read 388,356 times
Reputation: 103
China. Chinese Americans in particular. You are powerless without a Ph.D.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2016, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top