Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was just talking about the anti-Irish sentiment in the context of Australia being predominantly Protestant, like all the other nations founded by the UK.
ok but i wasnt really refering to the uk specifically or ireland either , germany , netherlands , switzerland have no history of any kind with ireland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Although Prussia as the leading German state was anti-catholic and dominated Germany for some time I never saw Germany as culturally protestant but mixed.
i think you might be confused by what i mean by culturally protestant , im not nesscesserily refering to the protestant catholic percentage of the population , austria,s population is predominantley catholic but it is culturally quite protestant in the way that italy or spain isnt , im using religon within a context which descibes national charechter

turkey and iran are both muslim countrys but iran is much more culturally islamic

Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i think you might be confused by what i mean by culturally protestant , im not nesscesserily refering to the protestant catholic percentage of the population , austria,s population is predominantley catholic but it is culturally quite protestant in the way that italy or spain isnt , im using religon within a context which descibes national charechter

turkey and iran are both muslim countrys but iran is much more culturally islamic
What does culturally protestant or catholic mean?
I am from Germany, a country where there are about as many catholics as there are protestants. Interestingly, people have more children in the protestant north, so I don't see that connection between family-friendliness and religion.
Here is a map of Europe, showing the number of kids per woman, the more red, the more kids:
http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1277827,00.jpg
And a map of religion in Europe:
http://www.nouvelle-europe.eu/images...e_complete.jpg

Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What does culturally protestant or catholic mean?
I am from Germany, a country where there are about as many catholics as there are protestants. Interestingly, people have more children in the protestant north, so I don't see that connection between family-friendliness and religion.
Here is a map of Europe, showing the number of kids per woman, the more red, the more kids:
http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1277827,00.jpg
And a map of religion in Europe:
http://www.nouvelle-europe.eu/images...e_complete.jpg

its not an offically recognised distinction by any means and its not my intent to sound divisive , i dont have anything against protestants or catholics , i was raised catholic but im now a none believer , i wasnt refering to birthrates , i just think some countries have a particular set of charechter traits and theese are often influenced by religon , europe is now in many ways a post religous collection of societys but i see many things in my own country which are catholic influenced , this despite the fact that ( contary to international opinon ) ireland is now a largely secular country , i had personality clashes in the past with people from a presbyterian backround , thier was no sectarianism but presbyterians tend to be quite serious and have little time for jokes when during business hours , irish people like to be ironic and irreverant a lot of the time but some cultures are taken aback by this and get the wrong impression , germanys industrious nature is heavily influence IMO by a prudent lutheran backround , italys artistic creative nature is influenced by its catholic influence , while those are generalitys and stereotypes , every stereotype has a degree of truth

Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM

But those things have nothing to do with being family-oriented. I guess it's fair to say that the US is clearly more family-oriented than catholic European countries.

Same here in Portugal by the way, it may officially be a catholic country, but in reality religion is mainly an old people's thing. There are many empty rituals and superstition even, but most people are not into religion at all. Same in Spain as far as I remember.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
Quote:
It seems to be that Catholic countries, most notably Italy, Latin America, Cuba, Ireland, Croatia, Poland, Spain and Portugal are more family-orientated than say the Protestant nations, like the US, UK, Netherlands.etc. They also seem more traditional with their beliefs about things like marriage or gender roles.

Was this pretty much the influence of the Catholic Church? Or is there something else going on? Perhaps it's just coincidence, since Southern European and Middle Eastern nations seem to have stronger family-ties even if they aren't Catholic, like Greece or Iran.

It also seemed Catholic nations had a more communal structure (piazzas, markets), while Protestantism combined with a sort of individualism that led to things like the Industrial revolution, the American revolution ad the nuclear family, which seems to have backfired as a 'familial institution' to bind society in contrast to the extent family.
The extended family, close ties thing was probably the norm, not the exception in most societies at all throughout history. Being "traditional" on that was the default and it's actually the emergence of the nuclear family and individualism that was a departure from that, so it's probably more about thinking why did the Protestant nations differ rather than why the others didn't.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
But those things have nothing to do with being family-oriented. I guess it's fair to say that the US is clearly more family-oriented than catholic European countries.

Same here in Portugal by the way, it may officially be a catholic country, but in reality religion is mainly an old people's thing. There are many empty rituals and superstition even, but most people are not into religion at all. Same in Spain as far as I remember.
What?? The US seems like the least family orientated country on earth! The cult of the individual and all. Unless you're thinking of the code-word for 'family values' which really means Christian morals.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
What?? The US seems like the least family orientated country on earth! The cult of the individual and all. Unless you're thinking of the code-word for 'family values' which really means Christian morals.
Again, the number of kids is a good indicator, after all, what else is left of family-orientation without the willingness to have kids

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...orld_map_2.png

Also, I think that individualism claim is hopelessly exaggerated, actually I find Europeans by and large more individualistic than Americans. Individualism does not rule out being socially aware and responsible, though. People can be very individualistic and yet have kids at the same time, there is no contradiction.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Again, the number of kids is a good indicator, after all, what else is left of family-orientation without the willingness to have kids

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...orld_map_2.png

Also, I think that individualism claim is hopelessly exaggerated, actually I find Europeans by and large more individualistic than Americans. Individualism does not rule out being socially aware and responsible, though. People can be very individualistic and yet have kids at the same time, there is no contradiction.

You really think the US is more 'family orientated' than Italy is?

In Italy, maybe partly for economic reasons, but kids often stay with their parents until they're 30, grandparents often live with their grandchildren.

In the US you're a 'loser' if you're still at home past your mid 20s, everyone lives in a different state, a lot of people don't keep in touch with their family.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
You really think the US is more 'family orientated' than Italy is?

In Italy, maybe partly for economic reasons, but kids often stay with their parents until they're 30, grandparents often live with their grandchildren.

In the US you're a 'loser' if you're still at home past your mid 20s, everyone lives in a different state, a lot of people don't keep in touch with their family.
Funny you mention that. There was a documentary on old Portuguese people about a week ago. They visited old people living alone in places without children, dying places. Their children don't come and visit them, let alone live there.
And even in the cities many old people live all alone. Every couple of weeks there is a report on yet another senior citizen having died in their apartment and rotted for weeks before anyone noticed.

Yes, it is the same in Europe. When there is an economic crisis, kids live with their parents for a longer time. Not because they want to, but because they have to. I read somewhere that the same thing is happening in the US now...

Yes, I think the US is at least as family-oriented as Italy (I guess there are certain myths still lingering).
What is different in the US is that family-orientation is often more limited to one's own family, in Italy and other places children are considered a part of society as a whole more than the possession of their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World